• 1 Post By Janster
  • 1 Post By macr88
  • 5 Post By spoonman
  • 1 Post By low-tec
  • 1 Post By Dmax16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Diff locker in two wheel mode - abrupt engagement

I was curious what the truck was capable of in two wheel drive the other day and noticed that the diff locker kicks in. I think it's awesome that they made this available in two wheel drive but it seems to kick in a bit abruptly. I'm new to diff lockers so maybe that's how they are?

I just thought it would be nice if there was a way to engage it manually.

Has anyone found a workaround?

Last edited by macr88; 12-11-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:03 AM

This is a completely mechanical locker. It functions based on the mechanics inside the diff/wheel speed, etc.

The only 'work around' for any type of manually operation - would be to completely remove it and go with an ARB or other 'selectable' locker.
An ARB is the best 'locker' out there. I've had 2 of them in an old jeep.

What are you doing that you want/need manual locker engagement?

Not all lockers are created equal in function, capability, driving characteristics.
macr88 likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Ah ok so this is normal operation for this type of locker.

I'm not doing anything crazy with the truck, just thought it would be nice to manually lock vs having it lock in an abrupt fashion is all.

From what I read I thought the locker only engaged in 4 low which is why I thought there may be a workaround.

I probably just need to learn how to drive with it is all. Any suggestions?

Thank you Janster
Janster likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:06 PM

Garage
Doubt there is a workaround since it is all mechanical.

Here is the youtube vid on how it works

Johng724, F8LZ71, Janster and 2 others like this.

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Doubt there is a workaround since it is all mechanical.

Here is the youtube vid on how it works

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mk5RAC8qpyo
Nice video!!

So, when you let off the gas thus releasing the torque ...the locker disengages because there's no torque left to hold the cog in place?

I can understand how it locks in place - just curious when it lets go.....

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:37 PM

I also find the way the G80 kicks in at 120 rpm a little mechanically scary but that's the way it's designed. It has me a little worried with my bigger wheels and tires; more mass to come to an abrupt halt adding to the stress on all the components. It would have been better to have electric locker's front and back but this is what we have. I'm very new to this so plan to go play this weekend and test my locker out (16 Colorado Z71).

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:42 PM
KMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Nice video!!

So, when you let off the gas thus releasing the torque ...the locker disengages because there's no torque left to hold the cog in place?

I can understand how it locks in place - just curious when it lets go.....
Yes. The cogs are held by spring pressure in the "unlocked" position, and it takes that 120 RPM difference to spin the carrier fast enough to create the centrifugal force to overcome that spring pressure and swing the cogs out to engage the locker. At which point that 120 RPM differential in speed goes from 120 to 0 instantly, hence the abrupt engagement. Then when you let off and release the torque from the cogs, the spring pressure pulls them back down to their "unlocked" position again.

All this is why they work ok in slippery on road conditions, because the tire with traction is likely on a slippery enough surface to allow a little slipping on engagement, reducing the shock load to components. But serious use off road it's a ticking time bomb. Say you're crawling on dry, high traction rock with aired down tires. You have crazy amounts of traction! Then you get to a spot where one tire lifts, it spins, then engages abruptly. One tire is spinning 120 RPM, the other is 0. The one with traction is not going to slip on the rock. So either the spinning one goes from 120-0 instantly, or the truck lurches forward hard. If, say, your right front and left rear tires are the ones in the air spinning, and your front diff is open, then suddenly all the torque to make your truck move is hitting your one right rear tire. This is just begging to grenade the carrier or snap the axle. It's only a matter of time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by KMW; 12-10-2016 at 04:49 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

I did some more wheelin today in Reno and it engaged much better than yesterday.

I'm guessing with the clutch packs it shouldn't engage hard enough to cause any issues.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:26 PM

I have rebuilt a couple of rear ends because of grenaded G80 components, really not to many considering how many trucks have it in the last 10-15yrs. Other types of failures are far more common. Consider that the same system is offered all the way up to 1ton dullies.
It can be disconcerting how abruptly it engages somtimes. I would recommend going light on the throttle until it locks and then staying on power to keep it locked.
There are a couple things that could be be tried if you are willing to experiment on your own. Adding a friction modifier to the rear diff lube could smooth the engagement possibly, if the clutch plates are compatible (no idea). Also lowering the engagement speed could be beneficial, this could be done either by installing a lighter spring (it's already very light), or installing heavier flywheights (possibly adding some solder to increase weight).
I have not tried any of this, and do not know If It has been tried, so you would be on your own. I take no responsibility if you break something.
macr88 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tec View Post
I have rebuilt a couple of rear ends because of grenaded G80 components, really not to many considering how many trucks have it in the last 10-15yrs. Other types of failures are far more common. Consider that the same system is offered all the way up to 1ton dullies.

It can be disconcerting how abruptly it engages somtimes. I would recommend going light on the throttle until it locks and then staying on power to keep it locked.

There are a couple things that could be be tried if you are willing to experiment on your own. Adding a friction modifier to the rear diff lube could smooth the engagement possibly, if the clutch plates are compatible (no idea). Also lowering the engagement speed could be beneficial, this could be done either by installing a lighter spring (it's already very light), or installing heavier flywheights (possibly adding some solder to increase weight).

I have not tried any of this, and do not know If It has been tried, so you would be on your own. I take no responsibility if you break something.

I definitely like the way it engages or how I'm manipulating engagement now versus the first time.

Been watching videos of how it works.

https://youtu.be/nSsLFe6n3nc

https://youtu.be/ftyJvIO0DZ8

-mac
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:39 PM

I had a locker in my FJ cruiser. (E locker) and it was nice when you needed it! Today I was cruising around town in my truck (was in 2wd) and on some ice patched in parking lots I felt a slip them a harsh kinda clunk and off we go! It diff seems harsh but it jumps in without thinking about it. I dig it. By the way this truck is great in the snow and ice!
macr88 likes this.

[/IMG]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 10:04 PM

This is the best video I've seen showing the locker in action: https://youtu.be/-OI3KQLBOaI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode