Tire relocation and 2nd battery setup - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:36 AM

The battery used I believe is a D34M from optima. It's a deep Cycle battery that can also be used as a starting battery if required. The comment above about the 0.7 volt drop is true, because of that I was debating on using this as a battery isolator, it can also be used to boost the main battery if it for some reason died and won't start the truck.

http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm

If anyone goes with a diode style battery isolator make sure to get the 4 post ones. The 3 post ones won't work with our charging systems and the alternator won't put out any power. The 4th post is connected to a switched power from the ignition switch which enables it to work properly.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

So a small update to this. I've also been considering a softtopper to install, but kind of put off the idea since i didnt really understand how it was installed (kinda ignorant but oh well), i just assumed that I couldnt put a bed rack over the soft topper. But I came across this and realized the soft topper is just held on by a rail that is fastened to the bed rails and no drilling into the bed of the truck. So I think I'm going to make a bed rack my first metal working project and fab one up to my required spec.

Will probably do something similar to the album i posted below, add more support across the top and maybe extend a little bit over the roof to put the spare tire up there.

Baja Christmas - Album on Imgur

EDIT: I made a sketch. Red is welded together, blue will be removable so i can still load my motorcycle and stuff in the back without the rack interfering.

http://imgur.com/a/iqrgA

2016 Black Colorado Z71 4x4

- Current Mods: Air Dam Delete; WeatherTech floor liners; LED Bed-Lighting Mod;30" double row Xprite light bar; Tablet setup for nav;
Hard-wired dash cam to fuse box;

Build Thread: http://coloradofans.com/forums/265-2...and-build.html

Last edited by maxwell_hau5_caffy; 01-12-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_hau5_caffy View Post
So a small update to this. I've also been considering a softtopper to install, but kind of put off the idea since i didnt really understand how it was installed (kinda ignorant but oh well), i just assumed that I couldnt put a bed rack over the soft topper. But I came across this and realized the soft topper is just held on by a rail that is fastened to the bed rails and no drilling into the bed of the truck. So I think I'm going to make a bed rack my first metal working project and fab one up to my required spec.

Will probably do something similar to the album i posted below, add more support across the top and maybe extend a little bit over the roof to put the spare tire up there.

EDIT: I made a sketch. Red is welded together, blue will be removable so i can still load my motorcycle and stuff in the back without the rack interfering.

So you're building the rack to go around the soft topper? I would probably get the soft topper before building the rack to make sure everything clears. I have a soft topper and have been thinking of a rack to go over as well.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
So you're building the rack to go around the soft topper? I would probably get the soft topper before building the rack to make sure everything clears. I have a soft topper and have been thinking of a rack to go over as well.
Yup, thats the plan. I dont really need to relocate the spare just yet. After I do my lift and tire upgrade, is when i'll need to relocate. Still need to get a z71 trim wheel to match the rest of them too so for me i'm still taking baby steps. lol

- Current Mods: Air Dam Delete; WeatherTech floor liners; LED Bed-Lighting Mod;30" double row Xprite light bar; Tablet setup for nav;

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_hau5_caffy View Post

I built a rack to go around my softopper for a recent trip to Alaska. It's pretty rough as I threw it together the week before I left(also my wedding week so I was pretty busy). Worked great though. I made it into 3 pieces for ease of install, disassembly, and storage. The whole thing is held on with the softopper clamps. It stayed rock solid from NYC, to Alaska and back with a heavy roof tent up top, fuel and water cans on either side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1484251274904.jpg (117.7 KB, 84 views)
lqdchkn, mexica and Tjdeerslayer37 like this.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:26 PM

Garage
As far as tire relocation. I put mine in the bed. It takes up a lot is space but it's one of the only ways to relocate without lots of fab work.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvynick View Post
I built a rack to go around my softopper for a recent trip to Alaska. It's pretty rough as I threw it together the week before I left(also my wedding week so I was pretty busy). Worked great though. I made it into 3 pieces for ease of install, disassembly, and storage. The whole thing is held on with the softopper clamps. It stayed rock solid from NYC, to Alaska and back with a heavy roof tent up top, fuel and water cans on either side.
Based on your comment, sounds like this trip was your honeymoon.

All I can say is congrats on a heck of a wife, may you have a long and happy marriage.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

Last edited by CaryBosse; 01-12-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: correct grammar
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvynick View Post
Awesome! Congrats also.

Got any detailed pictures of the build? the trip?

@goleee33
That isnt an option for me. I would lose the ability to haul my motorcycle when i go up for track days and ultimately destroy my bed usage.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 AM

Well "killer"....I was right, your work/ideas looks like crap! No wonder you couldn't take any suggestions, you don't have the skills to make something nice.

Don & Mary
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD
(Motor Home Toad)
2" Leveling Kit
Amp Running Boards
BakFlip Toneau
OPT7 LED High beams
Morimoto LED Low Beams
Diode Dynamics LED Fog
HomeLink
Electric tailgate release
Pedal Commander
Air Lift Air Bags
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS View Post
Well "killer"....I was right, your work/ideas looks like crap! No wonder you couldn't take any suggestions, you don't have the skills to make something nice.
Damn, you're still salty I didn't like your suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode