What makes a all terrain a "all terrain" is it a rip off? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Garage
As an All Terrain owner, I chose that trim level as it was the "package" that gave me the look (interior and exterior -I don't like all the chrome on the SLT) and options I wanted. I also considered the Nightfall Edition. Only wish the Driver Alert package could have been added. As this is my daily driver, I was looking more for comfort and convenience and not the off road features.

The sales brochure I have says the AT Includes:
-Z71 Off Road Suspension Package
-Automatic locking rear differential (2WD only, std on 4WD)
-Front recovery hooks (2WD only, std on 4WD)
in addition to the already aforementioned items.
Damn True likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE All Terrain Crew Cab 4x4
Cyber Grey / Jet Black
Steps removed
UnderCover Tonneau
Weatherguard Mud Flaps and Floor Liner
Opt 7 LED Headlights and Fogs
LED Reverse Lights
BNR Tune / Diablosport intune i2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Garage
^^^ This, you beat me to it. I was going to say that locking diff and tow hooks are pretty big off road items to have. There has been debate about what is actually different between the stock suspension and Z71 off road suspension but these other items along with hill descent control and the luxury add ons were worth the package price for me.
pennhunter and Damn True like this.

2016 Canyon, Duramax, All-Terrain, Cyber Grey, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, Sprayed on Bedliner, RC off road steps, Autospring 2.5 lift.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai2000 View Post
^^^ This, you beat me to it. I was going to say that locking diff and tow hooks are pretty big off road items to have. There has been debate about what is actually different between the stock suspension and Z71 off road suspension but these other items along with hill descent control and the luxury add ons were worth the package price for me.
If you get the truck with the tow package, and I can't see why you wouldn't, then the locking differential is standard.

Aren't the tow hooks standard with 4WD?

I can't fathom a time I would trust the Hill Descent feature.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
If you get the truck with the tow package, and I can't see why you wouldn't, then the locking differential is standard.

Well, unless you live in the Hill Country you would probably never need to use it anyway...it may come in handy in the mountains.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcleancanyon View Post
Well the reason why I ask this is because a lot of dealers and sales people misinform buyers about the all terrain package. Some even claimed that it was rancho.
It's an unfortunate fact that many salespeople (Not just vehicles) misinform potential customers. Some (not all) don't know jack about what their trying to sell, their just trying to make a sale & will tell you what you want to hear to make that happen! The takeaway from this exercise is to arm yourself with information on the product you intend to buy when your out shopping. If the person doing the selling senses your knowledgeable on the product, they will be way less likely to start spouting off BS info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
It isn't just the Canyon and Colorado trims that lack details in what is what.
Since 2014 or so, I noticed the option codes lists and "standard" and upgrade trim level specifics are sorely lacking on the GM media websites that show RPO and trim level codes.
They used to state things like "dual flow damper shock absorbers" and "heavy duty" or "increased spring rate", and 13" ventilated rotors..
Now when you go look up this stuff it is vague at best, except when in comes to the cosmetic or technology. Some of us still buy a truck for being truck worthy, with the goodies being secondary. The full sized truck markets seem to include a few more details in what you are buying, but not much.
I'm not to sure I agree on that, when I was out shopping for my Canyon I looked at the fullsizes for a price comparison & I couldn't make heads or tales what was actually included when trying to price them out online or view dealer inventory.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 PM
JBT

Garage
You can check an All Terrain package, but for the Chevy Z71 package you get these options:

Feature Highlights Of The Colorado Trim:
Top-Line Z71 Models Include All LT Features, In Addition To:
Z71 Off-Road Suspension
Automatic locking rear differential
Transfer case shield (4x4)
Unique 17-inch painted wheels and all-terrain tires
Automatic climate control
Power-adjustable passenger seat
Driver and front passenger power lumbar control
EZ Lift & Lower Tailgate

I was pricing the LT and for me to add options like heated seats and power seats, locking rear and upgraded rims, the price was higher than just getting the Z71 package. And if you ordered those seat options with an LT, you had to get leather seats, which I don't like. So, the Z71 package was cheaper and more of what I wanted. I still wish Chevy had made the interior all black. The black All Terrain interior with red stitching is the nicest of them all, in my opinion. What the Z71 and All Terrain have to gain for off roading, I have no clue.
matt2858 and markpetersonii like this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 01-13-2017 at 07:35 PM.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post

I agree, I would not get a truck without the tow package, however there are plenty of Colorado/Canyons sold without them. Dealers can and do order trucks without the tow package and locking diff on a 4x4 to shave a few bucks off the MSRP so they can sell a "comparably equipped" model for $500 cheaper and dupe the buyers. How many tow hitch install threads have you seen on here? The tow hooks are standard on 4x4 but not 2wd.
Hill descent control is actually useful in some scenarios. Common when driving on trails, you will want to go faster than "low low" but slower than the next gear up. This feature keeps you from riding the brake on those descents and keeps the speed exactly where you set it. Very useful if you learn how to use it. I am with you in that I would not trust it in every situation like perhaps a slippery shaley down hill descent.
For me, I liked the wheels, the locker, the body color grille and bumper, and the luxury features stated by others like the heated seats, power passenger seat, auto climate control. This package gives almost everything the SLT has except heated mirrors and the driver alert package.

2016 Canyon, Duramax, All-Terrain, Cyber Grey, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, Sprayed on Bedliner, RC off road steps, Autospring 2.5 lift.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:45 PM

If the AT interior came in some color OTHER THAN BLACK I would have likely gotten it. I wanted Cocoa-Dune and no AT option was available for that color. GM has an obsession with black interior. I like the looks of the AT badging and the rims. Wasn't too crzy about the color matched bumper and grill trim, but could have lived with it. Still, could not get past the black interior... so no AT for me. Went w/ SLT.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
If the AT interior came in some color OTHER THAN BLACK I would have likely gotten it. I wanted Cocoa-Dune and no AT option was available for that color. GM has an obsession with black interior. I like the looks of the AT badging and the rims. Wasn't too crzy about the color matched bumper and grill trim, but could have lived with it. Still, could not get past the black interior... so no AT for me. Went w/ SLT.
Kinda where I was at with mine. I had searched for months for an All Terrain in Cyber Grey. The only 2 real options I wanted was Nav/Bose. Literally no dealer in the valley of AZ EVER carried an AT cyber grey with bose and nav. I finally said the hell with it and bought my SLT. Deep down I wanted full leather so I am honestly glad I ended up with an SLT.

I feel like the Denali vs. SLT is the same thing, they changed just don't justify the price hike.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:16 PM

I think I saw somewhere on here that the front shocks are a different part number on the Z71 and AT. However, they look identical and am not sure they're actually different. However, I think the Z71 and AT packages are definitely worth the price. Very nice upgrades and I like the seats in each. They should hold up longer than leather in the long run. The ZR2 package will be the real off-road package soon.
JBT and matt2858 like this.

2016 Colorado Z71 4x4 CCSB Cyber Gray
Bak MX4
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:28 AM

Different wheels and the red stitch trim in the GMC is a sure difference. I would like to have had the driver alert package and heated mirrors with the A/T. I know its been discussed. Oh well.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain Quicksilver Crew Cab -SB - Nav - Bose - Trailer pckg -
Ordered 9/12/2015,TPW 10/12/2015, Shipped/In Transit 10/17/2015, TOOK DELIVERY 10/31/2015!
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2858 View Post
Different wheels and the red stitch trim in the GMC is a sure difference. I would like to have had the driver alert package and heated mirrors with the A/T. I know its been discussed. Oh well.

I really like the frontal crash warning.....it works well and has helped me apply my brakes a little quicker in a few situations already. No brainer for all vehicles imho. I live in a rural area so the lane departure was used otw home from delivery and not since lol. Heated mirrors are great!
matt2858 likes this.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zozmanGMC View Post
Hill Descent Control.

If equipped, HDC can be used when driving downhill. It sets and maintains vehicle speed while descending a very steep incline in a forward or reverse gear.

zoz
Am I wrong in thinking this is only equipped in Automatics? Or is the gearing just not low enough to 'crawl' or 'decend' in low range low gear? (On its own without using gas or brakes)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM

I had looked at the All-terrain because I wanted the 'body' colored grille & mirros. But I ended up with SLT for the most options/goodies. I wished you could get SLT with the body colored accents. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade to all the body colored stuff .....(but believe me, I've been thinking about it)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 PM

Garage
i mainly bought mine because of the wheels and interior...

16 Canyon Diesel
15 Canyon "gone"
11 Carbon Z06
13 CTS-V
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:44 PM

I got a LT because I got tired of waiting for the Z71 that I ordered - I went over 10 weeks without a factory acceptance of the order late in 2016. Found a well equipped LT with more stuff than I wanted and grabbed a few well timed incentives and basically got all that stuff for free! Mine also has the body colored front grill which looks even better than the Z71 trim. I found a set of take-off Z71 wheels with 80% tires on them for $400, and took off the front air damn and added a factory diff skid plate. I plan to upgrade the shocks to Bilstein 5100's anyway to get a 1.5" front lift, and then add proper AT tires in 265/70/17 size, so wasn't too concerned about shocks.

The only thing I'm missing is that auto decent mode vs. a Z71, and I can't see myself ever using that. I like the light gray leather seats in mine with 2-tone interior color. Mine is 4x4 w/ towing option so that gets the rest of the guts you want. I'm perfectly happy with my truck and would do it all again vs. the base Z71 that I had ordered.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
Yeah, its not really black though. The seats are Gray, black and the grayish Carbon Fiber looking trim. I kinda dig the three tone look. There is only a little bit of black in the interior. It is mostly gray. not sure why they call it black...black is not even the primary color...gray is. For me the least amount of chrome the better.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Yeah, its not really black though. The seats are Gray, black and the grayish Carbon Fiber looking trim. I kinda dig the three tone look. There is only a little bit of black in the interior. It is mostly gray. not sure why they call it black...black is not even the primary color...gray is. For me the least amount of chrome the better.
You're right. I think it's just personal preference. My last truck had light beige interior and red exterior. I really liked that color combo but even the Cocoa Dune on my white SLT is much 'darker' than what I had before. I guess dark carpets (maybe..??) hide dirt better, but every little speck of fuzz or whatever sticks out on them terribly. My wife's Genesis has lighter tan interior but black carpets/dash. I with something like that had been available on the Canyon. It seems like GM is doing whatever they can to control cost and I get that. Makes good business sense to have less options available for things like interior color. Even with a $90K Cadillac CT6 you get two choices - black, and tan. Pretty much the same as the twins!

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC7011 View Post
@USMC7011 You added the heated mirrors yourself, right?
Yes, heated mirrors were a must after the first winter without them. The cost was not much more than just the cost of the replacement heated mirrors them self, terminals and wire were cheap. As for the work to install it, just time, nothing to difficult.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if I can get the heated mirrors on my Colorado?

Side note: Lol you're an EAF'er? I'm Crash Crew.
Ben F likes this.

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Z71
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Premium
1985 Chevrolet El Camino
1985 Porsche 944

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM

Garage
For those that think there is no difference in in the standard and Z71 suspension they should consult the parts listings for 2016 front shocks and springs on these trucks. In the springs department there are 8 different part numbers thats a pair for each engine size (because they all weigh different) and 1 for the Z71 V6 configuration. In addition there are 4 part numbers for shocks that's a pair for standard suspension and a pair for the Z71 suspension. So yes there is absolutely a difference in the suspensions. The front suspension tuning is different to facilitate better off road handling. The rear end however appears to be identical on all versions. Only differences are springs and that is wheelbase specific. So z71 suspension appears to be a differently tuned set of front springs and shocks.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode