What makes a all terrain a "all terrain" is it a rip off? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

What makes a all terrain a "all terrain" is it a rip off?

I wanted to wrap my head around on the all terrain trim for the Canyon which is available for all v6 models two wheel or four wheel drive. Other than the sticker /badging "all terrain", GM transfer case shield you can purchase for $50 and the Hill decent mode that will never be used... What makes the vehicle all terrain. I mean I do like the faux leather seats with again the "all terrain" badging but what constitutes this trim level to be more all terrain or off road worthy?

Are there any parts, shocks or springs, suspensions that sets it apart from other trim levels?

I read an interesting article claiming that it's the same suspension in every trim level.

"Up first was the Z71-equipped Crew Cab 4x4, which is only available with the 3.6L V-6 and six-speed automatic. Unlike the Silverado, the smaller truck makes do with the same springs, shocks, and calibration as the base truck. That means the “off-road” version of the Colorado/Canyon upgrades consists merely of skidplates and badging."

Can anyone verify if this is true? Just wanted to know how much of all terrain is just marketing tool to sucker you into buying a truck that is more show than go for less informed buyers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:02 AM

Hill Descent Control.

If equipped, HDC can be used when driving downhill. It sets and maintains vehicle speed while descending a very steep incline in a forward or reverse gear.

zoz

2017 GMC Canyon Denali
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:04 AM

Garage
My take on the All Terrain, which I own. As far as the Show part, yes a lot of it is show. The interior I believe is a better look than the base model, with the red accent stitching. As for the Good part, yes you get the skid plate and hill decent, however you do get other options added that you can get on the base model if you wanted them like powered and heated front seats, you also get the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain tires which have been very good for me in the snow and ice. It also says you get an Off Road Suspension, however I do not know what the difference is with that, someone else may be able to chime in on that. Right now the package is discounted to $940, for what you get I think it is well worth it, but if you are looking to save money then that's $940 you can put to doing any mods you want to do. If I was to buy another Canyon, I would only get the All-Terrain Package over any other trim level or package, for the looks and the added options, which I think are worth the price.
pennhunter likes this.

2016 Cardinal Red 4x4 All-Terrain Crew Cab Short Bed

Trifecta Tune
Heated Mirrors
GMC Sill Plates
GMC All-Weather Floor Liners
Front Windows Tinted
Sports Bar with GM Off Road Lights
LED Backup Lights
LED Cargo Lights
Red LED Map Lights
LED Dome Light
LED Vanity Lights
LED License Plate Lights
Cargo Rings
Weathertech Mud Flaps
TonnoPro LoRoll
Lund Bed Extender
Pop-N-Lock
The Stubby Antenna

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozmanGMC View Post
Hill Descent Control.

If equipped, HDC can be used when driving downhill. It sets and maintains vehicle speed while descending a very steep incline in a forward or reverse gear.

zoz
Only when under 25 MPH, under normal driving it doesn't get much use.

Trifecta Tune
Heated Mirrors
GMC Sill Plates
Front Windows Tinted
LED Backup Lights
LED Cargo Lights
Red LED Map Lights
LED Dome Light
LED Vanity Lights
LED License Plate Lights
Cargo Rings
Weathertech Mud Flaps
TonnoPro LoRoll
Lund Bed Extender
Pop-N-Lock
The Stubby Antenna

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:06 AM

Nothing that helps in the off road realm. Mostly it's a trim package that's a medium between the SLE and SLT. You get upgraded interior without going full leather. It includes things like heated seats that you can't get as an option on SLE. You also get the body colored mirrors, bumper, handles and grill surround that would be all chrome on SLT. Best combination of options and lack of "bling" IMHO.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
pennhunter and Ben F like this.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain
265/70r17 KO2s
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 AM

Also I think the stock All Terrain wheels are one of the best looking OEM wheels that I can remember being offered on a truck.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain
265/70r17 KO2s
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizeide View Post
Nothing that helps in the off road realm. Mostly it's a trim package that's a medium between the SLE and SLT. You get upgraded interior without going full leather. It includes things like heated seats that you can't get as an option on SLE. You also get the body colored mirrors, bumper, handles and grill surround that would be all chrome on SLT. Best combination of options and lack of "bling" IMHO.

I think the rims are the best looking of all the GM rims also. Not that you can't find take off rims on eBay.

Trifecta Tune
Heated Mirrors
GMC Sill Plates
Front Windows Tinted
LED Backup Lights
LED Cargo Lights
Red LED Map Lights
LED Dome Light
LED Vanity Lights
LED License Plate Lights
Cargo Rings
Weathertech Mud Flaps
TonnoPro LoRoll
Lund Bed Extender
Pop-N-Lock
The Stubby Antenna

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:17 AM

Garage
You also have to get the SLE Convenience Package for $575, which includes

Sliding rear window- Not really worth it, I have never opened it. If it was powered I would like it better.

Remote vehicle starter system- Well worth it, I love the remote start in the winter.

Single-zone automatic air conditioning- It is nice to just turn it on auto then just adjust the temp to what is comfortable for me. However I don't think it does a whole lot that you can't do with the base model.

So for $1515 you get the All-Terrain options and SLE Conveience Options. I still think for the looks and remote start, heated and powered seats that price is worth it.
pennhunter likes this.

Trifecta Tune
Heated Mirrors
GMC Sill Plates
Front Windows Tinted
LED Backup Lights
LED Cargo Lights
Red LED Map Lights
LED Dome Light
LED Vanity Lights
LED License Plate Lights
Cargo Rings
Weathertech Mud Flaps
TonnoPro LoRoll
Lund Bed Extender
Pop-N-Lock
The Stubby Antenna

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:24 AM

Garage
Also, for 2017 you can only get Black or Silver for the body color. I like the Cardinal Red, but if this truck gets totaled and couldn't find another new 2016 All-Terrain in Red, I would get the Black in the 2017. Hopefully 2018 brings more color options for the All-Terrain.

Trifecta Tune
Heated Mirrors
GMC Sill Plates
Front Windows Tinted
LED Backup Lights
LED Cargo Lights
Red LED Map Lights
LED Dome Light
LED Vanity Lights
LED License Plate Lights
Cargo Rings
Weathertech Mud Flaps
TonnoPro LoRoll
Lund Bed Extender
Pop-N-Lock
The Stubby Antenna

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:41 AM

Garage
I seem to recall someone looked up the PN#'s for the shocks & it was the same # for all models.

In my opinion it's not significantly more "off-road worthy" than other models, but whether or not it's worth it will ultimately be up to you.

I pretty much was going to buy a SLE A/T, but then while out test driving some I was offered a loaded up SLT for what I was being quoted for the A/T I was going to order, so I bought it & I'm very happy with it.

Here's my pros & cons on the A/T vs SLT

A/T
Seats with red trim are pretty nice, also like carbon fiber trim
Color match mirrors, bumper nice
For me Off-Road" capability was just hype, no real substance like say the ZR2 is.
Main downside for me - Heated mirrors NOT available? WTF GM, this is the trim level it should be offered on for all the rough & tough outdoor types!?!

SLT
I never thought I wanted or needed leather seats, but after taking one home for the weekend the SLT seats & "soft touch" trim was really a step up (for me) & was set off nicely by the brushed aluminum trim.
All the chrome trim- not really my preference, but what you gonna do?
SLT rims - Ones of the nicest if not the nicest factory rims available for the twins (maybe I like the optional 18" polished Aluminum rims a bit better).
Heated mirrors - Nice for this time of year in Canada!

Both models have upgraded climate control over lower models & available remote start, which is pretty much a must have for myself & it's that much better when combined with the Remote link mobile app interface!

I went & installed a Superskidz front skidplate & the GM transfer case skidplate (which I may upgrade to a Superskidz down the road). So except for the factory A/T's more aggressive tires vs the SLT (which are consumables) & hill decent control my truck is already as or more "off-road" capable than the stock A/T.

Bottom line both the A/T & Z71 are not really any more off-road capable, their more just appearance packages. If off-road capability is your main concern either buy the trim level that you like best & mod it to your liking or wait for the ZR2, that thing has substance to it, but expect to pay for it also! lol

@USMC7011 You added the heated mirrors yourself, right?

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively

Last edited by CrashFix; 01-13-2017 at 04:47 AM.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:01 AM

Garage
@USMC7011 You added the heated mirrors yourself, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, heated mirrors were a must after the first winter without them. The cost was not much more than just the cost of the replacement heated mirrors them self, terminals and wire were cheap. As for the work to install it, just time, nothing to difficult.
CrashFix likes this.

Trifecta Tune
Heated Mirrors
GMC Sill Plates
Front Windows Tinted
LED Backup Lights
LED Cargo Lights
Red LED Map Lights
LED Dome Light
LED Vanity Lights
LED License Plate Lights
Cargo Rings
Weathertech Mud Flaps
TonnoPro LoRoll
Lund Bed Extender
Pop-N-Lock
The Stubby Antenna

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Garage
I have the All Terrain X which is the All Terrain with and extra set of wheels and a couple of other goodies. I have to agree that I do not think it is anymore off road capable than the other trims. The suspension is supposed to be off road tuned...but what does that mean? If it has the same parts, what do they do to them to make them more off road?? Now the extra set of Duratracs helps with off roading, but anybody can slap those on for allot less than the X package costs. I have to say I really like the seats, the price is worth getting these alone to me. They are unique and should be very durable. I have always purchased leather in my vehicles and have always hated they way they start puddling and get creases in them after a few years. They all do that, the only exception was my BMW, but the leather in BMWs does not feel like leather, especially in the beginning. Probably what makes it so durable. Of course the All Terrain still gets the soft touch interiors that all the Canyons SLE and up get with the contrast stitching. All Terrains just have Red stitching, which some will like. Honestly it does not stand out that much to me, but the seats do. I would not get an SLE without the AT package, I would go up to the SLT.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:04 AM

The All Terrain trim on the Canyon is the same as the Z71 on the Colorado for this second generation.
I just ordered a 2017 Colorado LT and wanted to know the same thing. I actually went to several dealers and looked under the front and rear, took videos of this with my GoPro, and compared what I saw on and LT and Z71. No difference except for the skid plate, tires and wheels, etc that I could see. Spring diameter, shocks, were the same it appeared. This "All Terrain" or "Z71" is mostly a cosmetic trim package. You do get some other goodies in interior aspects for both the All Terrain and Colorado Z71 trims, that would require added option packages in SLE or Colorado LT trim levels.

This is unlike the first generation where Z71 or "Off Road" trims got torsion bar front suspension, a higher lift, bigger tires and wheels, stiffer shocks and rear springs. The sales guy at one dealer I went to was honest and told me flat out that the NEW All Terrain and Z71 is largely cosmetic with no real "extra" off road capability. In the past, you could see the difference in springs and shocks looking under the truck. No difference this generation. In the first generation, you could tell the difference just in ride height when looking at an "off road" truck compared to standard Z85 suspension. I am on my 3rd Colorado since 2005.

I will say this. The new stock "Z85" suspension on both Canyon and Colorado is much beefier than the old Z85 first generation suspension. The ride is much firmer and spring/shock rates seem increased quite a bit.

Too see the actual differences in trim levels, look up the the differences in the included pdf order guide below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017-GMC-Canyon-order-guide-updated-August-26-2016.pdf (549.3 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 01-13-2017 at 09:13 AM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
The All Terrain trim on the Canyon is the same as the Z71 on the Colorado for this second generation.
I just ordered a 2017 Colorado LT and wanted to know the same thing. I actually went to several dealers and looked under the front and rear, took videos of this with my GoPro, and compared what I saw on and LT and Z71. No difference except for the skid plate, tires and wheels, etc that I could see. Spring diameter, shocks, were the same it appeared. This "All Terrain" or "Z71" is mostly a cosmetic trim package.

This is unlike the first generation where Z71 or "Off Road" trims got torsion bar front suspension, a higher lift, bigger tires and wheels, stiffer shocks and rear springs. The sales guy at one dealer I went to was honest and told me flat out that the NEW All Terrain and Z71 is largely cosmetic with no real "extra" off road capability. In the past, you could see the difference in springs and shocks looking under the truck. No difference this generation. In the first generation, you could tell the difference just in ride height when looking at an "off road" truck compared to standard Z85 suspension. I am on my 3rd Colorado since 2005.

I will say this. The new stock "Z85" suspension on both Canyon and Colorado is much beefier than the old Z85 first generation suspension. The ride is much firmer and spring/shock rates seem increased quite a bit.
No, it is not the same. The seats in the All Terrain are unique as far as the covers are concerned anyway, but they are similar. The inserts in the All Terrain are a tight woven fabric that is like outdoor furniture fabric, where the Z71 has more plush inserts. The outer trim on the All Terrain seats is a Carbon fiber looking leatherette where the Z71 is a contrasting solid color leatherette. Other than that they are the same. Also the All Terrain gets soft touch dash with contrast stitching, but that is more a Canyon vs Colorado difference.

Last edited by BeastStarr68; 01-13-2017 at 09:18 AM.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
No, it is not the same. The seats in the All Terrain are unique as far as the covers are concerned anyway, but they are similar. The inserts in the All Terrain are a tight woven fabric that is like outdoor furniture fabric, where the Z71 has more plush inserts. The outer trim on the All Terrain seats is a Carbon fiber looking leatherette where the Z71 is a contrasting solid color leatherette. Other than that they are the same.

Whoa there partner .. .

I did note there were interior differences if you read my complete comment. I just did not go through detailing it. As I said. . differences are largely cosmetic.

SEE my quote below:
Quote:
You do get some other goodies in interior aspects for both the All Terrain and Colorado Z71 trims, that would require added option packages in SLE or Colorado LT trim levels.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Whoa there partner .. .

I did note there were interior differences if you read my complete comment. I just did not go through detailing it. As I said. . differences are largely cosmetic.

SEE my quote below:
Yep...my bad...yes the differences are cosmetic

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Yep...my bad...yes the differences are cosmetic
Well, my bad too. Looking back at my first sentence, I was referring to the original thread starter asking about off road suspension differences in the All Terrain rather than cosmetic trim differences.. So I guess I should have thrown that into the first sentence instead of saying All Terrain and Z71 are the same.
No worries . . . .
BeastStarr68 likes this.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just ordered a 2017 Colorado LT and wanted to know the same thing. I actually went to several dealers and looked under the front and rear, took videos of this with my GoPro, and compared what I saw on and LT and Z71. No difference except for the skid plate, tires and wheels, etc that I could see. Spring diameter, shocks, were the same it appeared. This "All Terrain" or "Z71" is mostly a cosmetic trim package. You do get some other goodies in interior aspects for both the All Terrain and Colorado Z71 trims, that would require added option packages in SLE or Colorado LT trim levels.

Too see the actual differences in trim levels, look up the the differences in the included pdf order guide below.
Well the reason why I ask this is because a lot of dealers and sales people misinform buyers about the all terrain package. Some even claimed that it was rancho. Now don't get me wrong, I can see how the AT can be a value for some especially when it comes to seats and wheels that package is equipped with. But calling it a all terrain I believe is a bit of a misnomer considering it has absolutely no off road capability apart from standard. I believe GM should do a better job educating sales people about what all terrain really is and let them be honest about what it actually offers. Your sales person did you write for providing the right info but this I feel are just the small fraction.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFix View Post
I seem to recall someone looked up the PN#'s for the shocks & it was the same # for all models.

In my opinion it's not significantly more "off-road worthy" than other models, but whether or not it's worth it will ultimately be up to you.

I pretty much was going to buy a SLE A/T, but then while out test driving some I was offered a loaded up SLT for what I was being quoted for the A/T I was going to order, so I bought it & I'm very happy with it.

Here's my pros & cons on the A/T vs SLT

A/T
Seats with red trim are pretty nice, also like carbon fiber trim
Color match mirrors, bumper nice
For me Off-Road" capability was just hype, no real substance like say the ZR2 is.
Main downside for me - Heated mirrors NOT available? WTF GM, this is the trim level it should be offered on for all the rough & tough outdoor types!?!

SLT
I never thought I wanted or needed leather seats, but after taking one home for the weekend the SLT seats & "soft touch" trim was really a step up (for me) & was set off nicely by the brushed aluminum trim.
All the chrome trim- not really my preference, but what you gonna do?
SLT rims - Ones of the nicest if not the nicest factory rims available for the twins (maybe I like the optional 18" polished Aluminum rims a bit better).
Heated mirrors - Nice for this time of year in Canada!

Both models have upgraded climate control over lower models & available remote start, which is pretty much a must have for myself & it's that much better when combined with the Remote link mobile app interface!

I went & installed a Superskidz front skidplate & the GM transfer case skidplate (which I may upgrade to a Superskidz down the road). So except for the factory A/T's more aggressive tires vs the SLT (which are consumables) & hill decent control my truck is already as or more "off-road" capable than the stock A/T.

Bottom line both the A/T & Z71 are not really any more off-road capable, their more just appearance packages. If off-road capability is your main concern either buy the trim level that you like best & mod it to your liking or wait for the ZR2, that thing has substance to it, but expect to pay for it also! lol

@USMC7011 You added the heated mirrors yourself, right?
Yeah, unfortunately no zr2 for the Canyon. The Canyon gets the Denali which is another questionable trim level. All that chrome and a few Denali trims really do not impress me from getting it instead of the slt

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcleancanyon View Post
Yeah, unfortunately no zr2 for the Canyon. The Canyon gets the Denali which is another questionable trim level. All that chrome and a few Denali trims really do not impress me from getting it instead of the slt

It isn't just the Canyon and Colorado trims that lack details in what is what.
Since 2014 or so, I noticed the option codes lists and "standard" and upgrade trim level specifics are sorely lacking on the GM media websites that show RPO and trim level codes.
They used to state things like "dual flow damper shock absorbers" and "heavy duty" or "increased spring rate", and 13" ventilated rotors..
Now when you go look up this stuff it is vague at best, except when in comes to the cosmetic or technology. Some of us still buy a truck for being truck worthy, with the goodies being secondary. The full sized truck markets seem to include a few more details in what you are buying, but not much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode