Rear Differential Skid Plate for a ZR2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lurchskii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Rear Differential Skid Plate for a ZR2

The ZR 2 comes with Eaton Locking Differentials, Does anyone know if there are any Manufacturers who makes a skid plate for the Eaton Differential?
When my ZR2 arrives I may have to take a Dana 30 Differential skid plateand rework the rear bolt pattern plate to make it fit, this is why I am trying to find a existing skid plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:27 PM
KMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchskii View Post
The ZR 2 comes with Eaton Locking Differentials, Does anyone know if there are any Manufacturers who makes a skid plate for the Eaton Differential?
When my ZR2 arrives I may have to take a Dana 30 Differential skid plateand rework the rear bolt pattern plate to make it fit, this is why I am trying to find a existing skid plate.
The Eaton locker is only an internal part. The axle will be the same with the same cover as any other 2nd Gen Colorado/Canyon.

Well, the ZR2 axle is wider, but otherwise the same. The cover will be the same.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

You are correct, my mistake. The issue is if it is a Dana axle similar to a Dana 30 or 44 then skids plates are available, but if it is a different manufacturer then the rear bolt pattern may be different and so far I have been unable to locate a skid Plate.
If anyone knows who is making the rear axles for the ZR2 please feel free to share your information.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:49 PM
KMW

It is a Dana M210. I think it is unique to these trucks and maybe a Land Rover model. Not sure on the Rover.

I don't think you'll find anyone making a skid plate for it. Maybe after the ZR2 is out for a while.

Last edited by KMW; 03-18-2017 at 02:32 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
It is a Dana M210. I think it is unique to these trucks and maybe a Land Rover model. Not sure on the Rover.

I don't think you'll find anyone making a skid plate for it. Maybe after the ZR2 is out for a while.

Thanks for the information. I used Yukon Gear's Diff Wizard, The Front axle is a M200 and the Rear axle is a M220 on the current Colorado's, the ZR2 with the wider axle is not listed but it very well may be the same axle with longer tubes. If that is the case and it is a Dana 44 housing then any Danna 44 skid plate should fit. If for some reason it is a Dana 30 housing then the same applies, AEV and Ranchco make good quality plates that fit both axles.
Just have to wait for my truck to arrive and start spending more money on aftermarket goodies.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Have spent 10+ years offroading in a Jeep with Dana 44's......
I would highly recommend something that attaches via the front nose of the diff and the diff tubes. Similar to this:
http://www.purefjcruiser.com/images/...REARDIFF-1.JPG

You could probably build something yourself with some u-bolts and a thick piece of steal.

I had a diff guards on the front & rear D44's similar to this -
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ad0AAO...h3e/s-l300.jpg

For the front diff, it was fine. Most of the forces came from hitting it driving forward.

For the rear - not so good. Again, you're driving forward and the forces come in at the 'nose' (front) of the diff. You slide/drag your diff across the rocks.
The rocks actually rubbed the bottom of the diff housing down far enough that it caught the lip of the diff skid (which was attached to the diff cover bolts) and partially peeled it away. This put a tremendous amount of pressure on the diff cover bolts. I'm lucky I didn't rip a bolt out, or strip the diff housing.

You need something to put under the entire diff that it will allow you to slide on it without interference. Knowing what I know now from experience, I would never attach a diff guard using the diff cover bolts. But that's me...and I used to hit the rocks pretty hard.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Have spent 10+ years offroading in a Jeep with Dana 44's......
I would highly recommend something that attaches via the front nose of the diff and the diff tubes. Similar to this:
http://www.purefjcruiser.com/images/...REARDIFF-1.JPG

You could probably build something yourself with some u-bolts and a thick piece of steal.

I had a diff guards on the front & rear D44's similar to this -
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ad0AAO...h3e/s-l300.jpg

For the front diff, it was fine. Most of the forces came from hitting it driving forward.

For the rear - not so good. Again, you're driving forward and the forces come in at the 'nose' (front) of the diff. You slide/drag your diff across the rocks.
The rocks actually rubbed the bottom of the diff housing down far enough that it caught the lip of the diff skid (which was attached to the diff cover bolts) and partially peeled it away. This put a tremendous amount of pressure on the diff cover bolts. I'm lucky I didn't rip a bolt out, or strip the diff housing.

You need something to put under the entire diff that it will allow you to slide on it without interference. Knowing what I know now from experience, I would never attach a diff guard using the diff cover bolts. But that's me...and I used to hit the rocks pretty hard.
The AEV skid plate attaches to the axle tubes and the front part of the diff housing and it also gives protection to the Pinon.
aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/jk-wrangler/jk-slider-differential-skid-plate
Janster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode