• 1 Post By rkj__
  • 2 Post By fondupot
  • 2 Post By drewabbs
  • 1 Post By F8LZ71
  • 1 Post By GANCanyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thought I wouldn't need to remove the air dam -

I figured with the 2" front lift and taller tires that 11" of clearance up front would be enough for most of my offroading needs. I came darn close to maxing that out the other day while trying to get to a remote spot in the canyon for work photos. In the end I didn't scrape the air dam but I came within a hair of hitting the running boards. Time for some rock sliders I think.

There was bit of erosion on the left side of the road combined with a mound of dirt on the opposite side complete with a young oak growing out of it. I didn't want to risk scratching my pain or tearing any wires/hoses under the truck by running over the oak brush so I decided to tempt air dam fate by tackling the hole. Nothing crazy to be certain but it was fun and made for nice photos. We were out taking photos with a drone but he couldn't pass up snapping shots of this. lol

Toughsox, JBT, drewabbs and 7 others like this.

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:04 PM

That really is one stiff chassis
F8LZ71 and 404 Not Found like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to evonschu
Got Saturation? LOL someone likes Light Room... But ya forget the front air dam though for sure. One of my first mods was removing that. Truck looks much better.
F8LZ71 likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 PM

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
F8LZ71 likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

I didn't realize the rear was that high off the ground until I turned my head to the right to look back and ask if the bumper was going to clear and the truck started rocking. LOL

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
Got Saturation? LOL someone likes Light Room... But ya forget the front air dam though for sure. One of my first mods was removing that. Truck looks much better.
All the photos from the day looked like that. He mentioned the drone shooting in RAW so he probably processed them all the same. I was wondering why they looked that way. Even pumping up saturation on my Galaxy S7 photos won't make them look this way. I'm stoked he thought to take the shots regardless. :)

2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Thanks man!

2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
That's what she said!
Toughsox and F8LZ71 like this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Garage
Tilted vehicles and Green Grass......
man has this been a long winter.

@F8LZ71 you are a veritable Punxsutawney Phil

thanks
bcuzucant and F8LZ71 like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
I've owned a lot of vehicles. Never seen one with a chassis as stiff as this one.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 AM

Unless the "brush" was 3" diameter banches I wouldn't worry about driving over it. There is really only one wire loom thats venerable. It runs along the bottom of the tubular crossmember near the transfer case. You can take a few seconds to pull out the clips and flip it up on top of the crossmember and snap it back in. Pics look great and I'm glad you avoided the brush to get the wheels up.

2016 Laser Blue Ext Cab Short Bed 4x4 Z71
Fox 2.0 suspension, LineX; custom HiLift, shovel/axe mounts, Chassis Unlimited rock sliders, LED hood pods, Custom aluminum oil pan and transmission skid plates, custom bed cage, MBRP cat back, lots of scratches.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:56 AM

Nice pics.

What side steps are those? They are one of the cleaner ones I've seem that appear to still be functional.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabbs View Post
Tilted vehicles and Green Grass......
man has this been a long winter.

@F8LZ71 you are a veritable Punxsutawney Phil

thanks
Hahaha even California has experienced and odd and long "winter" so all of this greenery and sunshine is refreshing. We've been living the Seattle life it seems and people are grumpy due to so much rain and overcast skies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzucant View Post
Unless the "brush" was 3" diameter banches I wouldn't worry about driving over it. There is really only one wire loom thats venerable. It runs along the bottom of the tubular crossmember near the transfer case. You can take a few seconds to pull out the clips and flip it up on top of the crossmember and snap it back in. Pics look great and I'm glad you avoided the brush to get the wheels up.
Good to know! Very likely nothing would have happened if I drove over it but the slope was dicey enough that it wasn't worth the effort or risk. Frankly I was more worried about the paint. I'm such a weenie when it comes to scratches. Thanks!

2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GANCanyon View Post
Nice pics.

What side steps are those? They are one of the cleaner ones I've seem that appear to still be functional.
They are the OE steps that came with the vehicle. I could look up the part number on the window sticker if you like. They hang too low for real off-roading but they are very functional otherwise AND they keep mud and rocks from being flung up onto the side of the truck. If I do a pair of rock sliders/steps they will have closed holes to keep the mud and rocks off the side of the truck.
GANCanyon likes this.

2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8LZ71 View Post
They are the OE steps that came with the vehicle. I could look up the part number on the window sticker if you like. They hang too low for real off-roading but they are very functional otherwise AND they keep mud and rocks from being flung up onto the side of the truck. If I do a pair of rock sliders/steps they will have closed holes to keep the mud and rocks off the side of the truck.
Cool. Thanks. Must just be the angle of the pics, because they don't look like they hang down very far. I'll probably end up buying something like the nfab wheel to wheel.

Your pics make me miss wheeling in CO. I did a lot of off roading in my Frontier when I lived out there.
F8LZ71 likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:57 PM

I am curious what rock sliders you find that will protect the side from spray, as I would like something like that myself. The only rock sliders I have been able to find on my initial searching are the rocky road ones, which don't appear to do much for spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode