Musings and Questions From a 2WD Owner - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to nfmisso
I have done a little off-roading with a 2WD 2004 Ranger, 5 speed manual. It had a limited slip, plenty of ground clearance, and a well protected bottom. The biggest limitation was that it would not go slow enough to go where we wanted to go. An automatic would have probably done better. A LSD or locker is practically required. 4WD without a LSD or locker on at least on axle is no better (maybe not as good) than 2WD with LSD or locker. Our Jeep Liberty CRD in 4WD is 2WD really - one front and one rear......gets stuck just as easily as the Ranger did with the LSD..... But the Jeep CRD with an automatic and two speed transfer case will crawl.

ZR2 on order, 6/5 TPW :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemetrioGQ View Post
Word. I've seen off roaders in person and on YouTube. I know what my 16 2WD WT Colorado can do so I stick to that. Flat, muddy surfaces and desert trails are pretty much where I max out. Anything more than that - Z71s, All-Terrains, Raptors, and 4x4 Jeeps can have haha.

No shame though - I'm a city guy, I live in LA (no real need for 4x4) and I only take occasional trips. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford the TrailBoss or ZR2 I would have one haha.

Anyways - happy roading and trails!!
Hey I'd love to go Off Roading with you! I also got 16 Colorado Crew Cab. I live in pomona, Ca
DemetrioGQ likes this.

For those who forget their past, are condemned to repeat it.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tiger View Post
My signature block has everything that I'm planning for the next 6 months. Eventually I want to upgrade the suspension with new shocks and springs, but this is the plan for now.

2015 Colorado WT Crew Cab Long Bed 3.6L
MBRP Single Side Turn Down Before Axle At Exhaust
Kenwood DNX691HD Deck w/SiriusXM Tuner & Navigation

To Do:
AutoSpring 2.5" Leveling Kit
Zone Off Road 1.5" Body Lift Kit
Platinum Allure Black 17" Rims
Kanati Mud Hog Tires - LT285/70R17
CAI
Tuner.....
I would STRONGLY recommend a locker or at least a limited slip differential, and put it as first thing on the list. I had a 2wd Ranger; which before installation of a limited slip (Ford Racing) was scary to drive; afterwards, it would go anywhere our 4WD Liberty would go - but had to go faster due to manual transmission and no low range.

With those bigger tires, you should also consider a rear gear change to at least compensate for them; they are going to be torque hogs; with approaching twice the mass and inertia of the stock tires. Around 30lbs each for the stock tires and around 55lbs for the LT285/70R17 tires. You are going to need all the low end torque you can get.

My understanding (admittedly very limited) of the trails on the east coast is that they tend be slower; often less than 10mph. Please correct me on this. If true, then you really want some lower gearing, and probably an auxiliary transmission cooler. You definitely do not want more horsepower.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfmisso View Post
I would STRONGLY recommend a locker or at least a limited slip differential, and put it as first thing on the list. I had a 2wd Ranger; which before installation of a limited slip (Ford Racing) was scary to drive; afterwards, it would go anywhere our 4WD Liberty would go - but had to go faster due to manual transmission and no low range.

With those bigger tires, you should also consider a rear gear change to at least compensate for them; they are going to be torque hogs; with approaching twice the mass and inertia of the stock tires. Around 30lbs each for the stock tires and around 55lbs for the LT285/70R17 tires. You are going to need all the low end torque you can get.

My understanding (admittedly very limited) of the trails on the east coast is that they tend be slower; often less than 10mph. Please correct me on this. If true, then you really want some lower gearing, and probably an auxiliary transmission cooler. You definitely do not want more horsepower.
With the WT model I have the auto-locking rear diff and I didn't have it listed but I am getting a tuner eventually (before I start anything crazy) so I can work on the custom tunes to try to help out with some of the things you mentioned.

"Strength is never a weakness" - Mark Bell

2015 Colorado WT Crew Cab Long Bed 3.6L
MBRP Single Side Turn Down Before Axle At Exhaust
Kenwood DNX691HD Deck w/SiriusXM Tuner & Navigation

To Do:
AutoSpring 2.5" Leveling Kit
Zone Off Road 1.5" Body Lift Kit
Platinum Allure Black 17" Rims
Kanati Mud Hog Tires - LT285/70R17
CAI
Tuner
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM

Semi related, I'm mentioning it because I hate the elitist mentalities of some of these groups. When I lived in CO, I did a lot of off-roading in my Frontier. It was an SE so no rear locker but with just 32" destination a/ts on a bone stock truck it got me through a lot of trails. It really could have used a leveling kit, 33s, better skids, and sliders though. Anyway, one time I was on top of Argentine Pass and I was waiting on. A group of Jeepers in their build Wranglers to make it up. Keep in mind that this is a pretty easy trail and I had just done it with no issues or a spotter. Anyway, they are all taking forever coming up spotting each other like it's the Rubicon trail. After they came up, a few of them were belligerently asking me how I made it up there. There's only one way up and down. They couldn't fathom that I wasn't dropped off by a helicopter.

I had a JKU Rubicon before that truck and it was a lot better off-road, but a lot of it is the driver.
nfmisso likes this.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Some where on YouTube there are some Moab (I think) videos of a guy driving a Crown Victoria around the trails with his dog in the back. The movies were filmed by guys with modded trucks that could not believe what they were seeing. Where there's a will....

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 PM

My wife and I rented a Wrangler about 15 years ago in Durango. Guy we rented it from told me a pretty tame trail to take it on. I ended up needing 4WD Lo to crawl over some decent size boulders on the trail. Had a hairpin turn that few vehicles could handle. On return trip, right before the hairpin turn we discovered an older couple (my age now probably, ouch.) They were in a Cadillac Eldorado. Said it was a piece of cake, just new the Eldorado couldn't negotiate the hairpin turn. Of course, they offered us a glass of wine from what I suspect was not their first or second bottle.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 PM

That reminds me of a trip we made back in 1977 in a '76 Dodge Charger. We were outside Colorado Springs, I think, and decided to take a "rustic road" according to a local map. If I recall, it was called "Gold Camp Rd." In most places it was only wide enough for one vehicle and a steep drop off on one side of the trail in many places as it wound up the mountain trail.
Rocks and boulders galore but we negotiated around them. There was even a narrow blind tunnel we had to go through. Pitch black once inside and it curved so we could not see the other end. If anyone was coming in from the other side it would be nigh impossible to back up the other way and no option for turning around.
But the worst part was after exiting the tunnel. There, around the next curve the road was half washed out. I tried to hug the upward side of the trail and managed to only partly drop the right rear tire into part of the washout. Good thing I goosed it and the Charger popped down and then right out of the washout. Right after that, there it was. A mountain stream cutting right across the road. Well, it wasn't deep but full of grape fruit sized rocks. Going through that was a bit scary, since if we lost traction and slipped sideways we could have slipped off the side of the road and down the mountain side. But, we made it. 19 miles of excitement.
The map did not mention or warn any of this "Scenic Rustic Road". It just said it was a scenic short cut.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 05-18-2017 at 09:24 PM.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 PM

Gold Camp must have been washed out pretty good from a recent storm. I lived in the west side of the springs for a few years and drove on it a lot. It's a dirt road that cars can drive only and do frequently. It just gets wash boarded out so it can be a little rough in a car. It's an old rail road line so that's what those tunnels are.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
That reminds me of a trip we made back in 1977 in a '76 Dodge Charger. We were outside Colorado Springs, I think, and decided to take a "rustic road" according to a local map. If I recall, it was called "Gold Camp Rd." In most places it was only wide enough for one vehicle and a steep drop off on one side of the trail in many places as it wound up the mountain trail.
Rocks and boulders galore but we negotiated around them. There was even a narrow blind tunnel we had to go through. Pitch black once inside and it curved so we could not see the other end. If anyone was coming in from the other side it would be nigh impossible to back up the other way and no option for turning around.
But the worst part was after exiting the tunnel. There, around the next curve the road was half washed out. I tried to hug the upward side of the trail and managed to only partly drop the right rear tire into part of the washout. Good thing I goosed it and the Charger popped down and then right out of the washout. Right after that, there it was. A mountain stream cutting right across the road. Well, it wasn't deep but full of grape fruit sized rocks. Going through that was a bit scary, since if we lost traction and slipped sideways we could have slipped off the side of the road and down the mountain side. But, we made it. 19 miles of excitement.
The map did not mention or warn any of this "Scenic Rustic Road". It just said it was a scenic short cut.
Gold Camp road has definitely changed since 1977. There was a collapse on a school bus full of kids in the 3rd tunnel (search "gold camp road school bus"). You can still access it by hiking to it, but there is a fence covering the entrance to the tunnel (although it can be bypassed fairly easily).

Legend has it that if you stop in the middle of the second tunnel, put it in neutral, and let off the brake, your car will roll (even though this tunnel is flat and level). The story goes that if you roll forward, it's the ghosts of the school kids pushing you to safety at the other end of the tunnel. If you go backward, they are dragging you off the cliff to your death.
In high school, my friend and I tried this, and my car rolled forward. The wierd thing though was I washed my car just before driving the dirt road, and after getting through the tunnel, my car had child sized hand prints in the dirt on the trunk.

It has some nice scenery though, so anyone near the area should check it out.
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:17 AM

One other interesting thing on out trek up Gold Camp Road was about halfway along the trip or so, there was a 1964(?) Chevy Impala pushed off to the upward side of the hill. Broke down. . stolen? At the time, the car was, what? . .. maybe 12 or 13 yeas old. The paint and body looked like new, but the windows were broken out, tires and wheels gone and the interior was getting rotted from the elements and critters living in it.

Wonder if it is still there?

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM

Another Colorado back country story. Back in 1984, my brother-in-law had just purchased a 1984 S-10 Blazer with 4WD. He, my sister, and I headed out to Colorado. Found a map that showed a "road" up to top of a mountain. Sections of the road were described as Improved (gravel), Unimproved (washed out gravel), Jeep Trail (horse or mule would have complained), and Horse Trail (impassable in my eyes.) Maybe it was an old map. The old S-10 Blazer struggled at altitude, it was not fuel injection, but a carb engine not tuned for altitude. We were not sure we were going to make it up to the end of the Unimproved section. Finally struggled to the top, and there were people who had hauled Airstreams trailers up there.

Later in our journeys, my brother-in-law locked the keys to the truck at the top of the mountain. A storm was approaching, no cell phones or pay phones around, no where to hide. While my brother-in-law tried to figure out which window would be cheapest and easiest to replace, I managed to remove a piece of rubber molding along the driver door window that allowed me to barely slip my hand in between the sheet metal and the window and slide the door lock mechanism to unlock the door. Not sure how I didn't bend the sheet metal, and then wasn't sure my hand was coming out after I got it in.

My brother-in-law and I managed several good adventures, many involving his S-10 Blazer. Installing an aftermarket cruise control on his truck was one of them. That Colorado trip convinced me to even go buy a S-10 Blazer. No telling what trouble he and I would have found, but sadly he died of a heart attack at 32.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Gold Camp road has definitely changed since 1977. There was a collapse on a school bus full of kids in the 3rd tunnel (search "gold camp road school bus"). You can still access it by hiking to it, but there is a fence covering the entrance to the tunnel (although it can be bypassed fairly easily).

Legend has it that if you stop in the middle of the second tunnel, put it in neutral, and let off the brake, your car will roll (even though this tunnel is flat and level). The story goes that if you roll forward, it's the ghosts of the school kids pushing you to safety at the other end of the tunnel. If you go backward, they are dragging you off the cliff to your death.
In high school, my friend and I tried this, and my car rolled forward. The wierd thing though was I washed my car just before driving the dirt road, and after getting through the tunnel, my car had child sized hand prints in the dirt on the trunk.

It has some nice scenery though, so anyone near the area should check it out.
I read about that story too. Wasn't sure if it was urban legend or what.

That actually is the start of a really good hike up to St Mary's Falls that starts near that third tunnel. Pretty waterfall and some incredible views from up there. The last 1/4 mile or so is a pretty intense hike though.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GANCanyon View Post
..... a lot of it is the driver.
About 95% driver.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnyder24 View Post
Hey I'd love to go Off Roading with you! I also got 16 Colorado Crew Cab. I live in pomona, Ca
I'm in.

2016 Colorado WT Crew Cab 2.5L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode