Musings and Questions From a 2WD Owner - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Musings and Questions From a 2WD Owner

So I reached out to a Virginia off roading/4 wheel club to see about becoming a member and joining them on rides. The reply I got back came off a bit snarky, and basically I was told.... (paraphrased) "You can become a member but you will not be able to attend 95% of the trail rides as they require 4WD."

I get it, there are rides and trails that would be difficult for a 2WD vehicle, even lifted and with off road/mud tires that I'm in the process of purchasing for my truck. But, is it really possible that nearly ALL of the trails these guys do in Virginia are that difficult? Does anyone here have experience offroading with a 2WD 2nd Gen Colorado/Canyon?

I guess I'm just a little flabbergasted right now.

"Strength is never a weakness" - Mark Bell

2015 Colorado WT Crew Cab Long Bed 3.6L
MBRP Single Side Turn Down Before Axle At Exhaust
Kenwood DNX691HD Deck w/SiriusXM Tuner & Navigation

To Do:
AutoSpring 2.5" Leveling Kit
Zone Off Road 1.5" Body Lift Kit
Platinum Allure Black 17" Rims
Kanati Mud Hog Tires - LT285/70R17
CAI
Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Go out and buy a ZR2, start your own club and tell them that their measly 4x4s cant join because "they wont be able to attend 95% of the trail rides as they require ZR2's."
404 Not Found likes this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Well, what sometimes happens, is 2WD passable for 80-90% of the trail, but not being able to handle the remaining 10-20% can be a real problem.

Also, to get a 2WD truck through, often requires more wheel spin than a 4WD truck. This can damage trails. Most clubs try to "tread lightly" as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
CaryBosse likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Well, what sometimes happens, is 2WD passable for 80-90% of the trail, but not being able to handle the remaining 10-20% can be a real problem.

Also, to get a 2WD truck through, often requires more wheel spin than a 4WD truck. This can damage trails. Most clubs try to "tread lightly" as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Makes sense, and I mean I do get it (I consider myself a realist), but I guess the tone I read their response in just kind of ate at me a bit. Especially when I read around different forums and what not seeing 2WD guys keeping up with the 4WD guys.

I do get your point though.

To Do:
CAI
Tuner
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

While they might have been snarky, they may also have bad experiences with 2WD rigs going out with them and having to rescue them constantly. I personally wouldn't want to venture off-roading without 4x4, its just extra insurance IMO.

2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 PM

Garage
I got a 2WD. Done some little off roading but I stay within my lane lol.

2016 Colorado WT Crew Cab 2.5L
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemetrioGQ View Post
I got a 2WD. Done some little off roading but I stay within my lane lol.
I'm right there with you. I'm not looking to do any crazy rock crawls or impossible trails. I want to stick with what I know my truck can do with the modifications (when complete) and that's it. I know I won't necessarily always keep up or be able to do absolutely everything. I think it was just the tone of the message and I wasn't expecting the "You won't be able to go on 95% of our rides," comments.

To Do:
CAI
Tuner
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:38 PM

In the off road dirt bike world that I inhabit, there is KTM/Euro and there is everybody else. I am a very experienced "B" level (decently fast, can ride all terrain) rider that used to race a lot of desert on a 500cc two stroke back in the 90s and still races the occasional enduro or hare scrambles event now and then. Almost by happenstance, I wound up on a Suzuki DRZ400, which is not a highly regarded dirt bike. My DRZ had engine and suspension mods though, and even though it was a big fat pig, it was a big fat pig that could fly with the right loose nut (me) at the controls. It was also as reliable as your garden variety anvil. That machine had a friendly "just ride the shit out of me, it will be fine" quality to it, so I basically just rode the wheels off that DRZ and did not think much about it. The bike certainly had no status for me, it was a tool for a job. Was truly tired after a long hard ride though, she was a big girl.

I recall one time I was alone and at a staging area for a ride, and there was a group of guys on nice KTMs there. The bikes were pretty, with all the anodized orange farkles and graphics kits money can buy. I asked if I could tag along on my semi ratty DRZ, and got a derisive "if you can keep up" response. Well, that fired up the latent competitor in me. Made it a point to smoke each and every one of those bastards on my lowly DRZ, usually with the front end in the air. Their comment at the end of the ride was "God help us if you ever get a KTM!

In the end, I sort of did get a KTM in the form of a pair of Husabergs (in 300cc two stroke and 450cc 4 stroke flavors, they are basically confused KTMs). I have a nice group of mostly KTM mounted guys to ride with now that probably would have had a hard time accepting me if I was still on the DRZ. Getting a bit older too, the lighter/better bike is nice to have. Really loving my 300cc two stroke these days.

In the end, it all comes down to human nature - we all belong to tribes. It is much easier to join a tribe than to beat them from outside of the tribe. While it is not really a long term solution, it was kinda fun to kick some smug and superior asses from the outside though

That was then...

This is now, 450 and 300 Husabergs. It is all good :)

ChaosTheory likes this.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 04-18-2017 at 08:58 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Garage
I've gone wheeling with a guy that has a 2wd Colorado. He beats the hell out of his truck. Essentially you have to have a lot more momentum in a 2wd to do some of the stuff the 4wd trucks can do easily. The risk of this is damaging your vehicle. His fenders are banged up and his rear bumper is pretty messed up from sliding to the sides and just pinning the gas.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
I've gone wheeling with a guy that has a 2wd Colorado. He beats the hell out of his truck. Essentially you have to have a lot more momentum in a 2wd to do some of the stuff the 4wd trucks can do easily. The risk of this is damaging your vehicle. His fenders are banged up and his rear bumper is pretty messed up from sliding to the sides and just pinning the gas.
I kind of expected some of that. Like I said I'm not looking to do a whole of craziness that I know I need a 4wd or a Jeep for. But I want to do a little more than just tooling around. I've never done anything like it before (outside of simple stuff or driving around farms), so that's why I was looking to join a group. I'm going to continue with my planned modifications and probably join just to get to know some people and start learning, talking, etc. Maybe in the future when I'm closer to retiring from the USAF I'll buy an old 4wd truck or Jeep and go crazy.
goleee33 and DemetrioGQ like this.

To Do:
CAI
Tuner
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tiger View Post
I kind of expected some of that. Like I said I'm not looking to do a whole of craziness that I know I need a 4wd or a Jeep for. But I want to do a little more than just tooling around. I've never done anything like it before (outside of simple stuff or driving around farms), so that's why I was looking to join a group. I'm going to continue with my planned modifications and probably join just to get to know some people and start learning, talking, etc. Maybe in the future when I'm closer to retiring from the USAF I'll buy an old 4wd truck or Jeep and go crazy.
Absolutely. Any friends with trucks or anything you could go test out some trails? I would get a few miles under your belt so you don't have to deal with the new guy with tons of questions in the group too. I am not familiar with trails out there but I've wheeled in plenty of 2wd trucks and with 2wd guys. Hell, half my trips I don't even engage 4wd. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
DemetrioGQ likes this.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
Absolutely. Any friends with trucks or anything you could go test out some trails? I would get a few miles under your belt so you don't have to deal with the new guy with tons of questions in the group too. I am not familiar with trails out there but I've wheeled in plenty of 2wd trucks and with 2wd guys. Hell, half my trips I don't even engage 4wd. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
A couple of my neighbors have Jeeps and I know they go out at least twice a month cause I see the mud caked on Monday mornings. I haven't had a chance to talk to them much about it. I was planning on trying to get in touch with them and seeing if they don't mind if I tag along one weekend after I finish my truck (looking like 6 months or so from now).
goleee33 likes this.

To Do:
CAI
Tuner
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Your best option would be to have the rear axle locked up that alone will get you a lot further but if not very experienced in the off road world may also get you in more trouble...2nd thing that would help would be steel wheels with tough tires air them down for better traction and you have a better chance of getting through tough obstacles!! When I lived out in Vegas we had a guy that had a two wheel drive Tacoma with suspension lift,small body lift, front and rear glass and ran 33 inch Baja Claws and went damn near everywhere the rest went...he was a good driver and had good amount of experience and knowledge/understanding of vehicle dynamics and what not to attempt!! Sometimes going to big events where there are people and vehicles of all different levels is the best way to get knowledge...you can usually ride with someone or take your rig out and people are willing to help you along the trail...!!!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinnrelaxin View Post
Your best option would be to have the rear axle locked up that alone will get you a lot further but if not very experienced in the off road world may also get you in more trouble...2nd thing that would help would be steel wheels with tough tires air them down for better traction and you have a better chance of getting through tough obstacles!! When I lived out in Vegas we had a guy that had a two wheel drive Tacoma with suspension lift,small body lift, front and rear glass and ran 33 inch Baja Claws and went damn near everywhere the rest went...he was a good driver and had good amount of experience and knowledge/understanding of vehicle dynamics and what not to attempt!! Sometimes going to big events where there are people and vehicles of all different levels is the best way to get knowledge...you can usually ride with someone or take your rig out and people are willing to help you along the trail...!!!
My signature block has everything that I'm planning for the next 6 months. Eventually I want to upgrade the suspension with new shocks and springs, but this is the plan for now.

Also not included in the list is the Autospring AAL.

To Do:
CAI
Tuner

Last edited by Bow Tiger; 04-18-2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Forgot info.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 PM

That's complete BS!! You should find another off-road club that's accepting of all types of vehicles. Seriously......

Way back in the day - my husband and I helped start and run an off-road club called Keystone Krawlers Off-road Club. You can google it and find all sorts of trail runs/photos etc.

The club was open to ANY make, any model, anyone. We NEVER put forth requirements. We'd have a trail ride.... and whoever showed up that day, we split up into groups based on the capabilities. NOBODY was left out in the cold.

We would hold 'Wheelin 101' runs for beginners and give them instruction & guidance. Those were the most fun runs - watching the newbies eyes light up when they go over an obstacle.

It was fun watching all the different rigs wheel together. I'll never forget the day we had a Crew Cab Long Bed Duallie Ford F450 on the trails. That thing was huge. Needless to say, he did get high centered a couple times. All in good fun!
And yes, we had a guy in a 2WD tacoma who mastered the trails with his 'NO FEAR' attitude and lots of skinny pedal!! LOL
aver3 likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tiger View Post
My signature block has everything that I'm planning for the next 6 months. Eventually I want to upgrade the suspension with new shocks and springs, but this is the plan for now.

Also not included in the list is the Autospring AAL.
If possible get a full replacement pack....Deaver has some very good packs and they generally have the best flex which would also be very beneficial to you with helping to keep your tires in contact with the ground....AAL's are usually quite stiff...if not that's cool best of luck in your adventures!!!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinnrelaxin View Post
If possible get a full replacement pack....Deaver has some very good packs and they generally have the best flex which would also be very beneficial to you with helping to keep your tires in contact with the ground....AAL's are usually quite stiff...if not that's cool best of luck in your adventures!!!
From what I've read and in talking to AS the AAL will stiffen up the rear a bit.

I hadn't heard of Deaver... I'll look into them too.

To Do:
CAI
Tuner
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
That's complete BS!! You should find another off-road club that's accepting of all types of vehicles. Seriously......

Way back in the day - my husband and I helped start and run an off-road club called Keystone Krawlers Off-road Club. You can google it and find all sorts of trail runs/photos etc.

The club was open to ANY make, any model, anyone. We NEVER put forth requirements. We'd have a trail ride.... and whoever showed up that day, we split up into groups based on the capabilities. NOBODY was left out in the cold.

We would hold 'Wheelin 101' runs for beginners and give them instruction & guidance. Those were the most fun runs - watching the newbies eyes light up when they go over an obstacle.

It was fun watching all the different rigs wheel together. I'll never forget the day we had a Crew Cab Long Bed Duallie Ford F450 on the trails. That thing was huge. Needless to say, he did get high centered a couple times. All in good fun!
And yes, we had a guy in a 2WD tacoma who mastered the trails with his 'NO FEAR' attitude and lots of skinny pedal!! LOL
LOL....skinny pedal to the rescue...seen plenty of the skinny pedal episodes!!! We had a new guy come out with us that bought a 85 Toyota 4x4 pick up bone stock did pretty good up until he had to take one more run through slop of what use to be the shoreline of Lake Mead....well that turned out to be the most wonderfull 6 hours of digging and digging and digging of sand,mud,and rock in 115 degree heat but it also defined friendship and memories I was able to make with a few friends and my sons...priceless!!!
Janster and Bow Tiger like this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Bow Tiger: I'm guessing that the club you spoke to are on the hard-core side. I do get it; having 4WD is an insurance policy just like a winch; 4WD in particular, enables the driver to do overcome challenges in a controlled way. I got stuck on snow and ice on a flat gas station just a few months ago! Stuck it in 4WD and moved on, no worries. As mentioned above, many 2WD owners adapt to the limitations of their trucks when off road and this often means using momentum which almost always leads to dents and dings or worse.

I like DemetrioGQ's response "staying within my lane". The trouble is it's tricky to determine your "lane" without finding it first. I'd strongly suggest looking for a more casual off-road group to go play with, deliberately pick some messy, slippy stuff (not too far from home) and see what happens; what does it take to get stuck and how easy is it to get going again? You will need to ensure that you do this with at least one other truck and bring recovery gear; a snatch strap, shackles and a shovel as a bare minimum. It's also a really good idea to practice recovery; too many people get stuck then have to learn how to use their recovery gear in an emergency. Watch lots of YouTube vids on 4WD and recovery techniques; loads of good stuff.

Have fun, post pictures!

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr900ss View Post
Bow Tiger: I'm guessing that the club you spoke to are on the hard-core side. I do get it; having 4WD is an insurance policy just like a winch; 4WD in particular, enables the driver to do overcome challenges in a controlled way. I got stuck on snow and ice on a flat gas station just a few months ago! Stuck it in 4WD and moved on, no worries. As mentioned above, many 2WD owners adapt to the limitations of their trucks when off road and this often means using momentum which almost always leads to dents and dings or worse.

I like DemetrioGQ's response "staying within my lane". The trouble is it's tricky to determine your "lane" without finding it first. I'd strongly suggest looking for a more casual off-road group to go play with, deliberately pick some messy, slippy stuff (not too far from home) and see what happens; what does it take to get stuck and how easy is it to get going again? You will need to ensure that you do this with at least one other truck and bring recovery gear; a snatch strap, shackles and a shovel as a bare minimum. It's also a really good idea to practice recovery; too many people get stuck then have to learn how to use their recovery gear in an emergency. Watch lots of YouTube vids on 4WD and recovery techniques; loads of good stuff.

Have fun, post pictures!
Word. I've seen off roaders in person and on YouTube. I know what my 16 2WD WT Colorado can do so I stick to that. Flat, muddy surfaces and desert trails are pretty much where I max out. Anything more than that - Z71s, All-Terrains, Raptors, and 4x4 Jeeps can have haha.

No shame though - I'm a city guy, I live in LA (no real need for 4x4) and I only take occasional trips. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford the TrailBoss or ZR2 I would have one haha.

Anyways - happy roading and trails!!
fsnyder24 likes this.

2016 Colorado WT Crew Cab 2.5L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode