Moab, UT - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By PapsBlue
  • 1 Post By richjt92
  • 1 Post By moabite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Moab, UT

I'm going to be passing through Moab, UT for a few days this week.

Anyone in that area? Thinking about taking some stock capable trails Thursday morning, probably something with a pulloff to hike/explore. Any recommendations on trails? Want to join?
goleee33 and cruzer5911 like this.

'17 Canyon Dmax CCSB Bronze

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 AM

Bring a camera...it is just gorgeous....
macr88 likes this.

2000 Supercharged Miata
2003 GMC Envoy SLT
2017 GMC 4WD Canyon Denali
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM

Garage
If you're on Facebook a guy in the group just did a 3 day trip there and posted all about it could probably give you some pointers. His name is Travis. Not sure if he's on here. Its called "2nd Gen Colorado & Canyon"

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:17 PM
KMW

You should check out Hells Revenge. You can get all the way around it stock. All the hard obstacles are easily bypassed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:33 PM

Garage
Have fun, absolutely beautiful area! I was born and grew up in Monticello to the south of Moab. Take a lot of pics!

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, Nitto Crosstek 275/70/18's, 2" Billet Spacers, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:22 AM

It is absolutely beautiful there. Many many years ago (like 2001?), I went with and offroad group - I flew out and rode shotgun. It was a blast!

I remember we did a trail called Chicken Corners. Looks like its still active.

Here's a video

and of course..... More trail info
Moab Four Wheel Drive Trails
Top 10 Best Trails in Moab - Jp Magazine

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:37 AM

It's Thursday morning and you may already be out somewhere..but Chicken Corners and Shafer Trail from Island in the Sky to Hwy 279 are probably both good trails for a stock Canyon. You might scrape the air dam if you still have it on. I've lived in Moab for 43 years, and both of those trails are still among my favorites whether Jeeping or truckin'. Lots of hiking opportunities on each trail.

Somebody mentioned Hell's Revenge. There's no freakin' way I'd take a stock Canyon on that trail or on Fins & Things.
PapsBlue likes this.

Last edited by moabite; 05-04-2017 at 10:43 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post
It's Thursday morning and you may already be out somewhere..but Chicken Corners and Shafer Trail from Island in the Sky to Hwy 279 are probably both good trails for a stock Canyon. You might scrape the air dam if you still have it on. I've lived in Moab for 43 years, and both of those trails are still among my favorites whether Jeeping or truckin'. Lots of hiking opportunities on each trail.

Somebody mentioned Hell's Revenge. There's no freakin' way I'd take a stock Canyon on that trail or on Fins & Things.
No,haven't left yet! Got in later then expected last night.. thanks for the input! I'll probably check them out today! I'm trying to get in on one of these ATV/UTV adventure tours for tomorrow but I'm apparently the only person in the world that travels alone.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:32 AM
KMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post

Hells Revenge has crazy, hard obstacles, but they're all easily bypassed. The actual trail isn't really that bad. Heck, a guy took a Crown Victoria out there! A stock truck should have no problem at all just driving the loop.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
Hells Revenge has crazy, hard obstacles, but they're all easily bypassed. The actual trail isn't really that bad. Heck, a guy took a Crown Victoria out there! A stock truck should have no problem at all just driving the loop.

Sorry...but I disagree. I've been on that trail many times in my Jeeps. The Canyon is just too low, the approach and departure angles are not suited for a trail like Hell's Revenge, and the forward visibility sucks compared to a Jeep. Even Wells says in his highly-regarded book that the trail is not suited for stock vehicles or novice drivers...and he is talking mainly about Jeeps. I've been with Grand County Search and Rescue for over 25 years and have lost count of the number of times we've been called to help people who got in over their heads after following bad advice. Your advice qualifies as bad (and dangerous) advice. Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done.

Last edited by moabite; 05-04-2017 at 12:22 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapsBlue View Post
No,haven't left yet! Got in later then expected last night.. thanks for the input! I'll probably check them out today! I'm trying to get in on one of these ATV/UTV adventure tours for tomorrow but I'm apparently the only person in the world that travels alone.
Check with Kent or Cricket at Moab Cowboy Off-Road. They do UTV tours (you drive or ride) and are located on the northeast corner of Main and 1st South. I've never done one of their tours but I've known them for probably 40 years. He's quite a character. John Marshall at Coyote Adventures also runs some fun Unimog tours on Hell's Revenge. Each of them do Hell's Revenge. If you want to drive your nice new Canyon home unscathed, don't take it on Hell's Revenge.

Last edited by moabite; 05-04-2017 at 12:30 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:38 PM
KMW

Ok, not doubting your experience. My impression of the trail itself, minus the obstacles, was fairly easy. Granted, I was in a vehicle with more than generous approach and departure angles. Perhaps it would have looked much different from a different vehicle. I did see several stock pickup trucks out there though doing just fine. Granted, they were full size, so sat a little higher that the twins.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I talked with the guy at Moab Country Cowboy, they were all booked up this weekend but I ended up getting another tour in today. I decided that instead of trying to find a road to take my truck out alone, I'm just gonna do more UTV tours. I had a freaking blast today! This place is fantastic!

....I think I need to trade my Mini for one of these little machines, although I don't think there's much rock climbing in the Mid-Atlantic region.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 05:32 AM

I would love to go back to Moab. My husband was never there..... but, it'd be a 'fly out' and rent a Jeep/something. We'd often talked about renting an offroad rig and going out on your own (with others of course). But - the logistics of those 'rentals' worries me. I mean.... they get the piss beat out of them and anything could 'break' at anytime. My luck, I'd be in it for 5 minutes, drive over a tiny little pebble and an axle shaft would finally let loose.

Majority of those Jeep tours are lame. If there was a tour that would require the usage of 5-point harnasses - I'd sign up!! Hopefully, the driver is skilled and won't kill us. LOL Or give me the keys!! I'd love to drive that terrain again!!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Twisted Jeeps and Outlaw Tours seem very conscientious about maintaining their rental vehicles. The Twisted rentals are built to handle nearly any trail around Moab...big (and correctly-designed) lifts, winch, beadlocks, 37" tires, etc. I think they only have about 3 trails blacklisted. Dan Mick is, without doubt, the most experienced jeep tour operator in Moab...runs several of the more extreme trails...Golden Spike, Moab Rim, etc.

There are a lot trails around here that are perfect for un-modified (except for air dam removal) Canyons or Colorados...Shafer Trail, Chicken Corners, Onion Creek, Spring Canyon Point, Spring Canyon Bottom and more. You could probably make it quite a ways down the White Rim Trail from either the west or east side of Island in the Sky.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:15 AM
KMW

Oh yes! Shafer Trail! That's one you really should do. Just amazing sights there. We really enjoyed that drive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode