Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Sound Of Rushing Water in Dash

141K views 173 replies 72 participants last post by  White016 
#1 ·
When I apply the accelerator i hear the sound of water flowing behind the passenger side dash. Like where the heater core is. I thought it may be air in the system so I burped the system. Has anyone else experience this?

#4 ·
So far I opened the coolant overflow and started the truck and let it run with the heat on full blast for about 10 min. A lot of bubbles surfaced and so far it does not make this sound right now. Burp the system and it may work for you. That post you put up Scoops did not work for me. This is why I posted another thread, there was no help in adding fluid since I was full already.

#6 ·
Good timing, I've just started to hear it over the past 2 days or so. Since it rained for short periods, I initially thought water was accumulating somewhere. Only hear after start up and taking off for the first time, seems to stop after 5 minutes or less.

#10 ·
Yes it did work, Just look at the semi clear container on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The level should be at the fill line (a plastic pinch that protrudes in the middle there is a fill line also) I am at work now and unable to get a pic up, sorry.

#12 ·
New Colorado Rushing Water Sound

Hi
I just bought a new 4 cyl Colorado 2016. It is really odd, when i first start up in the morning and pull out of my garage, the first few turns i make sounds like this big rush of water going back and forth behind the dash more on the passenger side.
The coolant was filled in the resivor tank. The battery when i shake the car does make noise like that but the battery is on my side, and i cant image it would be as loud of a rushing sound as i am hearing.
My next trip to the dealer i was going to ask but you know how these first time cold start problems can be at the dealer.
Any other new Colorado people hear this in theirs?
Thanks!

#13 ·
Hi
I just bought a new 4 cyl Colorado 2016. It is really odd, when i first start up in the morning and pull out of my garage, the first few turns i make sounds like this big rush of water going back and forth behind the dash more on the passenger side.
The coolant was filled in the resivor tank. The battery when i shake the car does make noise like that but the battery is on my side, and i cant image it would be as loud of a rushing sound as i am hearing.
My next trip to the dealer i was going to ask but you know how these first time cold start problems can be at the dealer.
Any other new Colorado people hear this in theirs?
Thanks!
Hey there. Just letting you know I found a thread that is very similar to yours. You may not have found it was moved so I quoted you as a notification.

Read up to notice there has been a fix for the somewhat common instance of the water sound behind the dash.

#15 · (Edited)
My truck has been at the dealer. They did verify there was a service bulletin for air in the coolant lines. The first time did not eliminate it all the way so the service manager was having it done again.

He said in severe cases it can cause the engine temp to creep up, but more than likely, just an annoyance hearing the air pockets in the heater core i think he said.

#16 ·
So after the dealer having my car 5 business days and doing the tsb from chevy 4 times they said they solved the issue. This morning was my first cold start, and sure enough the sound was still there. Not as bad as before but i can hear it, then when i start turning out of the driveway and such i can still hear the swooshing around.
The service manager said the next step if i wanted to bring it back would be a dump of the fluid, pressurize the system and refill. So looks like i will be going down that road very soon.
Sounds like the electronic thermostats made it harder for them to purge the air. I just dont get how most people on here said yup brought it in and its fixed and on mine they did it 4x?!

#17 · (Edited)
About 2 weeks ago I drove the truck up onto ramps and spent 20 minutes burping the system. I noticed a few air bubbles, but not many which is why I waited awhile to see if the noise was still present before responding. No more rushing water, but the AC system still sounds like it's taking a deep breath when first kicking in. Reminds me of Darth Vader in a way.

#19 ·
Hi I had my 4 cyl 2016 in twice for this in the first month of its life. Total of 7 business days of them burping the system, draining and refilling it and the noise is better but still there especially when you turn.

GM finally told the dealer they have several engineering notices open about the problem and there is no fix so they called it an acceptable noise for the time being.

#22 ·
I took my truck back for the 3rd time for this sound. The mechanic came out to ask how it has been who is the one who always works on it. I asked him what exactly is the process in that tech bulletin. He said just what i have read online. Jack the truck like 1ft off the ground in the front only, let it run close to an hour with the overfill cap off. He said yes you will lose coolant since it will bubble out, not a lot but definitely some, so make sure you have some if you plan on doing this several times at home.

Yes said the tried it a different way which did not yield any better results. He said since the thermostat is electronic they drove around with their little computer plugged in and the thermostats only opens 60-70% of the way at normal operating temp since we are not towing etc.. They said they told the computer to open it at 100% so there was no restricted flow, but that really didn't help much either. He said it is just a bad design with the reservoir placement and the hoses going into the heater core which make it susceptible to air.

Lot of info but it is good that they have made some effort to fix. I just don't understand how some people have did this once in their garage and it is good and mine has been in several times!

#25 ·
Ive been burping mine for months now. It's a lot less but I'm guessing you need to do this a bunch consistently until it's totally gone and not just "when I think about" like ive been doing, lol

#30 ·
I got hit with this. No work can be done until GM figures out what makes this rushing water sound. Meh - no biggie I've accepted it. Just blast music louder lol. Tech says the truck is fine, will drive fine, and no issue as of now. They will keep me/us posted on when they have a fix for it

Attachments

#35 ·
i have the same issue, took it in and got the same response as DemetrioGQ. They checked it and said GM is aware and that is all. Just a little annoyance of a sound, but they didnt do anything else. Mine happens quite often.
it is interesting, i have used my heater over the last week and has been fine, so this is indeed a very odd issue. The truck quickly warms up and when i turn the heat on its right there, and feels fine as far as heat. Im wondering if a design flaw or some other engineering situation is at play. I guess time will tell.
Definitely just a little annoying sound but I get over it fast.

Let's hope they figure it out soon!

#37 ·
I had this issue along with a small leak from the inlet/outlet pipes going to the heater core in the engine bay. I didn't really think anything of the noise until I started seeing drips under the truck in the morning.

The leak was apparently allowing air to be pulled into the heater core which would then see a rush of coolant every time the engine revved, particularly after sitting for a while.

The dealer pressure tested the system, located the leak, replaced the pipes and then bled the system thoroughly. No more apparent leak, and no more rushing water noise. I think there might not be enough coolant flow at idle to push trapped air through the system, but I'm not sure of the exact bleed procedure that the dealership used.

I hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.