Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon - View Single Post - Fuel leak top of tank, '06 canyon - anyone had this?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
leaky

Thanks for that guys - looking at it from underneath my initial impression is the straps are fine.. Sizing it up quickly tonight and I think you are right on the orientation of the tank to the bed - may not really be under the bed as I thought initially (this is a crew cab).

That's a good question on the crew cab tank removal - even if I took the bed off is that going to give me enough access to the tank? I guess a 2nd question is do you really need to actually remove the bed or could I just take the bolts out and lift it up enough to gain access? You would think I could just remove the bolts & lift the front of it up 2 feet.

I know, for instance, when installing a transmission in my blazer I was able to gain enough clearance by removing some bolts that held the body to the frame in the front & jacking it up like an inch but didn't need to actually go anywhere near what the book called for...

But then I imagine if those steal parts on the tank are shot, the tank has to come off, so it's getting dropped regardless? I don't really care if the straps break - actually if I think I can do it without starting a fire and it makes my life easier somehow, I'll take a sawsall to them and weld them back together later.

FYI "strangely" at like 120K I got an intermittent evap code I've ignored for the last 120K... it became non intermittent at like 150K.. then not long after the fuel level sending unit quit, so I got one of those codes too.. Then maybe 500 miles ago it began starting a little funny with a mild gasoline smell.. Now it pisses fuel and starts like ****.. None of these things could possibly be related :).. And oh yes I am in snow country and the exterior of this vehicle has been washed 0 times since new.

Thanks!

Jon

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome