Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Poor Seat Heaters?

51K views 221 replies 98 participants last post by  Bassworship 
#1 ·
I've read complaints about the seat heaters not getting "hot". I guess this must be a '15 issue. I used my driver's seat heaters for the first time this morning and, WOW! Thought it was going to burn my butt, but good. Got hot quickly and had to turn it down. I'm pleased with mine. Hope those not satisfied can get a "fix" under warranty.

#45 ·
16 Canyon CC here, mine work perfectly, can't believe this thread is still alive, they either work properly or they don't and you take it back to dealer for correction.

#48 ·
That's why I started this thread. There are too many out there that have been given the run a round and just accepted it as "normal" like many dealers have told them.

Reactions: JBT
#46 ·
Add me to the list of bad seats. I have a '15 Canyon All Terrain build date in June. From day 1 I have been disappointed with the heated seats. Lukewarm at best. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. Thanks guys. I'm gonna have this rectified. Currently in a '16 Sierra SLT all terrain loaner and those seats get hot!

#55 ·
My switch doesn't have a "done" position. Must be a 2016 feature!

Reactions: garymikey1982
#51 ·
You know, I do live in Phoenix, AZ which is known for it's 120 degree summer days. But, it does get down into the 30's in the winter here and I've got to tell you my heated seats in my 2016 will start cooking my butt after less than 10 minutes at which point I have to switch them down one setting and then down to the lowest setting a few mintues later. My wife has a little more cushion in her "seat" (good thing she doesn't read these forums) but she turns them down about 5 minutes after I do. So, anyone who has a dealer telling you they are working fine and you can't feel the heat needs to call BS.

-Curtiss

#53 ·
I installed aftermarket CalTrend Dura Plus Canvas seat covers because honestly I dont like leather. I only got it to have heated seats.

With Cal Trend seat covers, I won't run my seats over Medium. And that's if it's I didn't layer up.

I can't run them on high or my arse burns. That's WITH covers.

If your seats don't burn on high, something is wrong.

#54 ·
No, some of us just don't like our buns toasted. :surprise:

#59 ·
Got into an argument with dealer over this issue today. Was already trying to convince me it was normal before he even looked at it. I drove the truck all last winter..i know how they are supposed to work and he is trying to tell me its fine. Waiting on call to see if they are actually going to fix or claim they are working but the service manager was a total d*ck and I have very low expectations. I would like to hear if anyone has gotten these fixed under warranty? Service manager also mention under his breath he would have to check if this was even covered by warranty!? Needless to say no matter the outcome I wont be going back to this dealer..same dealer denied the transmission update was available.

#61 ·
Anybody know if there was a part no. change on the heating element between 2015-2016? Reason I ask is if it's a "weaker" element in the fifteens, I'll tell you the dealer will NOT fix it. "Working as designed...".
Also if you have experienced weak seat heaters, was it at one time stronger then attrited over time or that way off the lot?
This was an issue on my '02 Avalanche. Also on my wife's 2015 CLA.

#62 · (Edited)
Anybody know if there was a part no. change on the heating element between 2015-2016? Reason I ask is if it's a "weaker" element in the fifteens, I'll tell you the dealer will NOT fix it. "Working as designed..."
That's exactly what I've been thinking. Even though the 2015 and 2016 are essentially the same, GM did make a number of improvements between models. They can't exactly go back and give those improvements out to everybody with the older model.

With that said, in the case of an actual failure (as opposed to a less effective design), I would fully expect them to replace the defective part with the newer/better part--even if it happens under warranty. Or, of course, I'm sure any dealer would be happy to do it anyway--if you're willing to pay for it. ;-)

#63 ·
I can chime in on this one.....

I have a '15 and the seats will only get warm on "high". In no way can you consider them "hot". My truck is at the dealership right now and they put me in a '16 loaner Colorado. I turned on the heated seats last night and within 1 minute, it was hot! They got so hot, it was uncomfortable enough that I had to turn it to low. Even in the low setting, it was hotter than the high setting on my '15. There is a massive difference between the output of the '16 and the '15.

#66 ·
Also..my '15 when I drove it last winter would cook your butt as well..now not so much..can leave it on high and only gets warm. Last year had to turn it down to at least level 2 after 10 mins. So i think it is more of a durability thing than they were just not designed to get as hot as the '16s.

#67 ·
I have a '15 Canyon and have used the heated seats several times. It takes a while before I can really feel that they are getting warm, and they never get hot enough to where I feel like they are "cooking" my buns. It's worth noting that this is the very first vehicle I've owned with heated seats so I don't have really anything to compare to.

I'm curious to hear if anyone is successful in convincing a dealership to repair them. It definitely sounds like GM changed something with the '16 models. I'm debating on if I want to say something to my dealership the next time I go in.

#68 ·
Have had heated seats in every vehicle I have owned for at least the last ten years and can tell you my 15 is the only one I didn’t have to turn them down after a few minutes. With remote start all I can say is that my seats aren’t cold when I get in. My truck apparently has seat warmers not seat heaters. That being said my seats aren’t cold and have come to appreciate that I don’t have to keep adjusting them. All my other cars were a pain in the arse when it came to heated seats, too toasty for me on high and not enough on low. Personally I believe I will leave mine the way they are.

#69 ·
Truck is in the shop now, fixing the heated seats as well as a list of other problems. The bottom portion of the drivers seat did nothing, the back would change temperature by maybe 8-10 degrees warmer than the inside of the truck after a long drive. Dealer said it was a sensor, I have never had a vehicle with heated seats that didn't heat up fast and HOT. Whats the point if they don't. The 2016 EQ the dealer gave me as a loaner last time the truck was in the shop would heat up the seats in 2 mins and the hi setting was HOT. Will see if its a sensor or some of us just got seat warmers for 998 bucks.

#75 · (Edited)
It's real simple. If your seats don't get hot, there is something wrong with your seats. If the dealer doesn't fix the problem, then they are ripping you off. Go sit in another truck on the lot and show them. My seats get very hot, very fast. Or go to another dealer that will fix it. You paid good money for the option and it should work.