• 1 Post By Duken4evr
  • 1 Post By Duken4evr
  • 2 Post By RandyNC
  • 2 Post By spoonman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Supercharger types: a little insight

Hi guys. We’ve gotten a lot of questions about our Colorado/Canyon supercharger kits. We thought it’d be a good idea to put a little more information out there. This isn’t intended to be terribly technical, but it should give some insight into our design decisions.

Anyway, let’s get to it. What’s the main difference between our kit and the competition? The blower itself. We use an Eaton TVS blower. Here it is…

Doesn’t look like your typical blower… because it’s not. Your typical centrifugal blowers take too long to spool up… They just don’t make the power down low. In fact, centrifugal setups often make less power than stock at low RPM because it takes power to drive them, even when they’re not generating boost.

The TVS blower works in a completely different way. It works like an air pump, not a fan. It builds boost as fast as the throttle blade opens on these trucks. That means zero lag. It also has a much wider operating range, so you’re not just making power at 4000+rpm, you’re making it at idle. You push the pedal, you have the power. 300 horses to the rear wheels at 2700rpm. You won’t get that from any other blower.

Our TVS blowers also run at a lower internal speed and have a bypass valve, so they take less power to drive and can essentially be “disconnected” when you’re not on the throttle (it takes approximately one horsepower to drive the blower when it’s bypassed). The increased low-end torque and decreased parasitic loss is the reason we gained miles per gallon in our CARB testing.

When we looked at the way the transmission shifts, the way these trucks are used, and the overall driving experience, the TVS blower was the only option.

Get in touch here, through the website, or by phone with questions. I may do some more "insightful" posts here... It's just a way to do a little rambling and explain why we do what we do.
Joedude, RandyNC and Duken4evr like this.

Last edited by Mallett Performance Cars; 03-31-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

OK a little follow-upÖ We were just looking at this in the shop. Thought some people would be interested. This is our kit (green) vs a centrifugal blower (blue) vs stock (red). We drew the centrifugal data by hand to illustrate the differences. Again, I donít want to get too technical here. Just illustrating some points.
First letís look at the stock curves for reference. You know how your stock truck feels, how it shifts, etc. You probably drive around all day between 1200 and 3500rpm. Maybe sometimes you confuse the transmission and it struggles to find the gear you want. Keep your driving in mind as we look at the other curves.

Now letís look at our curve (green). The torque curve jumps from zero to 275lb-ft between 2000 and 2250rpm. Thatís how long it took the throttle blade to go from zero to 100% after the operator stabbed the pedal. From there, the torque curve is pretty flat. We hit 300lbft at 2700rpm. 310 at 4000. Maxed out at 5000rpm. The point is that our blower makes a lot more torque than stock at all times. It really helps the transmission as well, since youíve got enough torque to GO even if itís in a taller gear than youíd like. It has the torque, so it doesnít have to shift and rev to get there.

By contrast, the centrifugal curve (blue) doesnít make torque down low. 3000 to 3500rpm is pretty flat. It looks like the operator is rolling into the pedal. Looks like the throttle blade hits 100% at 3500rpm. Torque then climbs linearly from 3500 to 4000rpm. Thatís the centrifugal lag we talked about before. Compare to the stock curve. Itís making less torque than stock. 300lbft of torque doesnít come until well past 4000, almost 4500rpm. Torque and horsepower look good after that, but we were never concerned about the top end.

Thatís the best explanation I can give in text. Itís all about low-end torque. You have to drive the truck to really understand it, but you can see pretty clearly where the gains are here.
Joedude, RandyNC and Duken4evr like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:00 PM

Very nice comparison - thanks.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 PM

That torque curve is beautifully stout, nice smooth hp curve too. Gotta be really fun to drive a truck with the kit installed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:51 AM

I will be getting my Colorado 'Mallettized' as soon as it's built!
Joedude and carolreichert like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
That torque curve is beautifully stout, nice smooth hp curve too. Gotta be really fun to drive a truck with the kit installed.
#DrivesLikeTheDmax

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
#DrivesLikeTheDmax
A Dmax with 361 horsepower

The diesel engine option is 3.7K, plus it only comes in uplevel trims, adding enough overall cost to approach the cost of the
supercharger kit. In my demented brain, this equation is a potential option...

Less blingy truck/V6 + Mallett kit = Win

I do like my diesel and it's associated bling - those heated leather seats and 8" touchscreen are the shiznits. Very impressed with the "integration" of the Mallett kit as shown in the photo though. It totally looks factory.

Wondering about the figures though. The stock V6 makes 305-308 hp depending on year, while the chart has the stock hp at 220 or so and modded at 361, with a HP gain of +141. Just wondering if the chart understates things and/or how the figures were arrived at. Regardless, the modded figures dwarf the stock ones.
RatRacer likes this.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 04-01-2017 at 10:20 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 AM
KMW

305 is crank HP. The dyno chart is showing HP at the wheels.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:54 PM

I knew there are drive train losses, but did not appreciate that there is so much loss from crank to wheels. +141 HP and all that extra torque, no matter how you slice it, will be noticeable though
RatRacer likes this.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
A Dmax with 361 horsepower

The diesel engine option is 3.7K, plus it only comes in uplevel trims, adding enough overall cost to approach the cost of the
supercharger kit. In my demented brain, this equation is a potential option...

Less blingy truck/V6 + Mallett kit = Win
I like the Mallet SC setup. If I were going to go w/ a gas truck and modify it, that would be an option. For me, I am just not into that sort of thing these days. It's funny that when I was younger and couldn't afford it, I would have killed for something like that on a vehicle. But when I'm older and can afford it, I'm just not that interested in doing it. I do like the idea of it though!
RatRacer and JScottM like this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink

Last edited by RandyNC; 04-01-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallett Performance Cars View Post
OK a little follow-upÖ We were just looking at this in the shop. Thought some people would be interested. This is our kit (green) vs a centrifugal blower (blue) vs stock (red). We drew the centrifugal data by hand to illustrate the differences. Again, I donít want to get too technical here. Just illustrating some points.
First letís look at the stock curves for reference. You know how your stock truck feels, how it shifts, etc. You probably drive around all day between 1200 and 3500rpm. Maybe sometimes you confuse the transmission and it struggles to find the gear you want. Keep your driving in mind as we look at the other curves.

Now letís look at our curve (green). The torque curve jumps from zero to 275lb-ft between 2000 and 2250rpm. Thatís how long it took the throttle blade to go from zero to 100% after the operator stabbed the pedal. From there, the torque curve is pretty flat. We hit 300lbft at 2700rpm. 310 at 4000. Maxed out at 5000rpm. The point is that our blower makes a lot more torque than stock at all times. It really helps the transmission as well, since youíve got enough torque to GO even if itís in a taller gear than youíd like. It has the torque, so it doesnít have to shift and rev to get there.

By contrast, the centrifugal curve (blue) doesnít make torque down low. 3000 to 3500rpm is pretty flat. It looks like the operator is rolling into the pedal. Looks like the throttle blade hits 100% at 3500rpm. Torque then climbs linearly from 3500 to 4000rpm. Thatís the centrifugal lag we talked about before. Compare to the stock curve. Itís making less torque than stock. 300lbft of torque doesnít come until well past 4000, almost 4500rpm. Torque and horsepower look good after that, but we were never concerned about the top end.

Thatís the best explanation I can give in text. Itís all about low-end torque. You have to drive the truck to really understand it, but you can see pretty clearly where the gains are here.
Big deal, I got the same results with a K&N air filter. And .2 MPG gain too!

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolreichert View Post
Nice!
Quoted to make sure I'm not imagining things....
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Quoted to make sure I'm not imagining things....

are you also seeing that this user is bumping and then deleting posts then rebumping in all the mallet threads?
RatRacer and JScottM like this.

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
are you also seeing that this user is bumping and then deleting posts then rebumping in all the mallet threads?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Is that it? happened to me too.................

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode