Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

How Many 4 Banger owners We Have Here?

34K views 57 replies 34 participants last post by  Rvsix 
#1 ·
Just curious of the number of owners we have who purchased the 4 cylinder engine in your truck? What was you reason for purchasing the 4 cylinder? Any regrets? Likes or dislikes?

I'll start... I purchased the 4 cylinder for a couple reasons, first off, the initial price of the truck was very reasonable compared to the other options. Second, I don't tow much, needed something that would fit large bulky items, but still wanted decent fuel economy. I believe I got all that with this truck. I have owned mini trucks with 4 cylinder engines in the past, so my expectations on performance were not that high to begin with, but, even though this truck is by far larger than any of the past mini trucksI have owned, it's certainly holds it's own.

I love the fact that under most conditions, I can get between 23 to 24 mpg around town. In my experience, I get better gas mileage around town than I do on the the highway. That may be because where I live the around town speed averages between 45 - 60 mph, audit's very level,and I can go some pretty good distances between stop lights. On the highway, I have to drive around 75 mph so I don't feel like I'm impeding traffic flow! I seem I get my optimum mpg around 55 mph.

It is a bit sluggish off the line, a little more throttle response would be nice. Torque actually seem pretty decent. I purchased a new zero turn mower and brought it home on a trailer. The trailer probably weighed around 1000 lbs, and the mower was 600 lbs, no where near the towing capacity of the truck, but it had no problem getting up to speed and keeping with the flow of traffic. In the short 20 mile trip from the mower shop to home and back, I did see my gas mileage drop about 2 mpg, but that was expected with the added load. The V6 probably wouldn't have seen as much of a drop, and the diesel's gas mileage may have improved under load, but for me, this configuration works!

See less See more
#3 ·
So far, so good. It has enough punch for me in the times I've needed it and clearly has enough power for any scenario I'll ever need it. A large majority of my driving is in the middle of the city of Charlotte, NC, so I appreciate the economy. I used to be a very aggressive driver in my Jetta for no reason. I actually appreciate how this truck has slowed down my driving style and made me more patient. I wish I would've measured my mpg in the Jetta. I probably wasn't doing much better than the truck based on how I drove it.

#6 ·
2015 Colorado extended cab WT for me. Main request was for a manual and since that ruled out the 6 cylinder the 4 worked for me.....

Just me in the truck and no towing needed. I'm happy with the power but I do feel that 1st gear disappears too fast for me.

#7 ·
I bought the 4cyl because I knew it was all I needed. I also understood how this engine works. It was designed to rev to make power. If I floor it, it will buzz to 6700 before it shifts for the next gear. Just gets stronger as the rev's climb.

Some people freak out if a loaded down small truck is buzzing up the rev's to get up a hill while towing. It's supposed to. Peak torque is up at 4400 rpm. If you need it, you have to go there to get it. You're not hurting the truck. Just let it do what it was made to do, and let it rev.

95% of my driving is with an empty truck and no trailer. I have a 45 mile round trip daily work commute. Easily gets 25-26mpg on the 2 lane hilly country highway I drive to work and back. So 95% of the time the little guy just loafs along. Under 2000 cruise rpm is the sweet spot for MPG's.

Less than 1% of my driving is towing a 5x10 utility trailer. I doubt that between trailer and load I tow a combined total of 2500lbs. So it's very seldom the truck is working hard.

I'm very happy with my choice.

#8 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2016 colorado WT 4cyl a week ago. This is my first truck. Loving it so far, comfortable to drive. Got it MSRP $26,400. Only regret is that i just saw the same truck with LT trim from a different dealer yesterday with 10% off MSRP now going for $26,700! But whats done is done. Oh well. I still love my truck though! Future mods is upgrade my 4.2" head unit to the OEM 8" touch screen through MVI when i get some extra cash. So far i have a fusion step bars, tonno cover and husky weatherbeater floor liners and line X bed liner.

Attachments

#9 ·
I picked up a GMC 2.5 Extended Cab a couple of weeks ago. They were on sale for 24 because they are making room for 2017 models. I wasn't sure how I would feel about having another 4 cylinder truck because I had a 4 cylinder Tacoma in the late 1990s and while it was fine for running around town, it was horrible on the highways. This new GMC, however, has had no problem keeping up with 60 to 80 mph traffic on highways and interstates. As the original OP pointed out, it is by no means a fast off the line truck but I have no problem with that as I wouldn't buy a truck for quick acceleration. I needed a truck that I could count on when the weather gets bad and there is two to three inches of water standing on the roads or it snows etc etc. I also needed something for when I need to run to Home Depot and get 20 bags of mulch or some other big ticket item that won't fit in a car. My previous car was a 2014 Mustang and while they look cool guys, trust me they are built like crap. You don't want one. In a six month span mine blew the pinion seal, the AC system had to be completely replaced and when the water pump blew on a car with only 42 thousand miles on the engine I was through putting up with Ford's junk. These by the way are all common issues on the Mustang. But enough about that carp heap. I find that I really enjoy this 2.5 powered truck. I have not had any complaints about the transmission shifting. I find it shifts smooth and right when I expect it to. I am averaging 22 mpg in mixed driving. The cab is very quiet and comfortable. The driving dynamics are excellent for a truck and even though mine is basically a work truck with a couple of options tacked on I am really enjoying it. I need something that will last about 300K miles and I hope this is it because that Ford crap sure isn't. I'm looking forward to getting the bed Line-xed and putting some other options on it.

#10 ·
So far I'm loving my '16 Colorado WT extended cab. I do wish I had the V6 for one reason - I'm looking for an old Wrangler, and I know my wife doesn't really want to ride 2 hours there and 2 hours back to check one out. The 2.5L's towing capacity is 3500 lbs, which is just a little above the weight of most Wranglers I'm looking at. I suppose I could flat tow one to get it home, but I'd prefer the extra power of the V6 and the higher tow rating so I could trailer it.

Having said that, I'm fairly certain that the '89 Sierra with a 305 V8 that I sold a few months ago had a lower tow rating than my Colorado, even though the engine was twice as large.

#11 ·
Wranglers are the easiest vehicles in the world to flat tow! Much cheaper to add a tow bar to your Jeep and tow it behind you truck. The L4 is no slouch when it comes to towing, it makes its torque at lower RPM's than the V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: maxbee25 and aver3
#12 ·
Purchased a WT, 4cyl in 06/16, replaced a 1st gen., 4cyl (manual) 4 cyl. As I don't tower haul any heavy loads, there is sufficient power, but I dislike that "buzz" of the 4 banger, I drove a 2017, 6 cyl, 8 sp. yesterday, WOW, what a difference, not just power, but overall drivability, so much so, I'm trading in the 16 on the new 17.
So over all, the 2nd gen., 4 cyl., 6 cyl. Auto, was such an improvement over the 1 st gen., I drove the truck much more than the old one, that I began to miss the convenience features, so I'm "upgrading" to the 2017, Z71.

#13 ·
I have the 2016 Colorado WT with 4-cyl and manual shift (ext cab) and I'm completely satisfied. I'll never tow anything substantial and this configuration was relatively inexpensive. Lack of 4WD can be a problem sometimes, but I can compensate for that. I'd like the locking diff, but don't know if the upgrade can be done at reasonable cost.

I can get 30 mpg for 50 miles on the freeway. With a mix of small town and country road driving I average about 27.

#14 ·
My duramax is a 4 banger... :grin2:

#15 ·
4 banger

I have a WT 4 banger auto (appearance pkg, convenience pkg)and I'm getting around 24mpg average and as high as 27 on the highway! I am a little ocd and drive by the mph gauge setting on the dash. So far I love it but it is a little weak off the line but pulls well at speed. I went with 4 banger for the mileage and cost over all (21500 out the door).

#16 ·
I have a 2016 Colorado WT Crew Cab 2.5.

Purchased it because it was a 4 door, it had the Z71 tires/wheels, needed good fuel mileage (so far pretty damn good for city), needed a truck but not a massive Silverado, and just overall badassness.

I live in Los Angeles and do more outdoorsy things and move around stuff here and there so this one was just right. I will definitely make some upgrades though.

#17 · (Edited)
Had a ford ranger for over a decade (4cyl manual), it always had just enough power to do the job, half ton of slate, a motorcycle, lumber, surfboards, guitar amps, whatever. But at about 220K it started to fall apart on me and get expensive. Already have a quick car, just wanted something simple. Don't much like V6 engines... they don't have primary balance and are hard to work on. They make good power for their package size but I'd take a v8 or inline 6 any day of the week. 4 has less power but it's easy to work on and this is a proven design - I saw a lot of people complaining about issues with the V6, none on the 4 out there.

Also, smaller motor means it's lighter on it's feet, which is an added bonus. Too bad it sounds uber weak! I get about 20MPG average. I suffered an accident as a teenager and my right foot is now made out of lead. ;)

This one is an auto, first auto I have owned in a long time, kind of neat to be able to eat a burrito and drive... :D

#18 ·
I think the 4L is a good for fuel economy when you are running around traffic and city driving; perhaps better than the Oiler on MPGs. The V6 has the get up and go (performance) and falls somewhere in the middle when it comes to towing and regular commuting.. Traffic/City driving is the killer on the V6. If your deal is Towing and woking it like a truck; the Oiler is the best choice.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm half way through this tank of fuel and am averaging 27 mpg per the DIC. I know it's pretty optimistic, but it will be interesting to see what my final mileage is this tank when I fill up next. This has been a mix of city and highway driving. Only thing I did different was try premium fuel instead of regular. So far, it appears I've had a 2 mpg increase using premium. Not sure it will justify the extra cost, but it is a blast seeing this type of gas mileage from a truck!

#20 ·
i have the 2.5 crew cab and very happy with it. now its new, and the last 3, which are the first three tanks, of gas i have averaged about 18.5 hand calc. 85% city stop and go, flat ground with a/c. Truck has less than 1k miles, so my hope is that will increase as it breaks in. I dont drive it like i stole it, and drive it around town empty and not towing anything. So time will tell. Power feels fine, i dont think it is under powered for what it is.

#21 ·
It will improve, mine has!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Love mine. Had to drive it to believe it, then drive it again, then a third time and was sold. No regrets 2yrs in. The 4.10 rear means getting out in traffic in a hurry is no sweat.. just have to push the pedal a little further and let it rev. Good sounding for a 4 (inside the cab engine, not exhaust noise). Doesn't love 80 on the hwy, although it will do it. Very happy at 75, best mileage down around 60 for sure. I know the EPA tests at slower speeds, but that was the only real disappointment after my old car got within 1mpg of its rating everywhere 70-90 and well above when down at 60. Average 21 mpg in largely city driving avg speed about 34. Ext cab z71 (yes, they sold it with a 4... and discounted it)

#24 ·
Four months into owning my 4 banger...

And I love it. I only bought the 4 because I could not afford a higher trim/4x4 but I really love what it is so far.

It can hold its own off road and it gets the job done (out door trips, hauling stuff around, and daily driver).

Excellent truck.

#25 ·
Have a '16 WT 4cyl, 6 speed since October. Got it with 1187 miles, just shy of 9k now. Previous owner ordered and could not drive stick, after 3 weeks, he traded it back in.

Got a great deal with a better than new warranty.

Love it coming from an '03 Sonoma with 226k miles on original engine and clutch. Just wish it would be better at floating gears. Stock tires were terrible for snow but it gets 23mpg all day long in the city, sometimes up to 27 and 28 going on the highway. I also drive for the best MPG. If people want to pass me, they can.

#26 ·
I bought a 2017 LT cc sb 4cyl I was actually looking for a v6 but really liked the lazer blue and test drove it amazed by how it drove never felt sluggish to me or under powered have owned it for a month now and couldn't be happier. As was mentioned earlier hopefully my mpg will come up when the engine breaks in I have 680 miles on it

#27 ·
Kinda my only regret is my 4 banger. My 2015 LT pulls current tracker boat fine (guesstimate 2300 lbs with gear stored) and got it for better fuel mileage- 2 wd with g80 diff but recently buddy wanted assist pulling flat trailer with a pickup on it needing work and had to turn him down. No way this pulling that much a load. Did not also figure helping my old dad out with his big bay liner boat, doubt this rig as is could do that so if do over would have gotten more motor. Had a big ext cab 2000 Silverado before this, pull about anything but no 4wd. Only once needed that so even now still see no real need for it.

Thinking upon it too fuel mpg wise, at now 26800 miles still avg about 26 combined and while way better than the old full sized truck I would be happy at over 20 mpg with more pulling power when needed. May end up trading this for upgrade with the diesel or 6 cly at 3 year mark come spring 2018.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.