How-To: OEM Fog Light Kit Install (P/N: 23459834) - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:40 PM

Great write up and pics mjones, thanks for posting. I also installed the foglight kit, bought it at ShopChevyParts.

I would like to contribute a few comments. Removing the blank panels for the fog lights was a PITA, patience is a virtue! I recommend buying some plastic trim removal tools to protect your bumper paint. In pic 19, the 10mm bolts hold the plugs into the back of the PDC, but are not PDC mounting bolts. I only removed the bolt holding the plug for the fog light wire. In pic 22, when you slide the grey/white clip to unlock the wire cavities, make sure none of the existing wires don't come loose from the plug (like mine did).
Dealers around Atlanta wanted about $120 to flash/program the BCM. No choice unless you have friends at a dealer.

2016 Laser Blue LT Crew Cab, 3.6L.
Black wheels, Zone 1.25" level kit.

Last edited by 2GBlueCrew; 02-12-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

To me, the filler pieces were easy to remove from the back after pulling the fender liner out of the way. I was able to release a clip and work my way around till it popped out.

The programming cost is pretty much the same. That is probably what I paid, but mine had a remote start program on top of it.
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM

Did check with the GM Parts Direct this kit will not work on a 2015 Colorado.

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 PM

I purchased (23459834) this kit for my Colorado 2015 LT from ShopChevyParts.com
2016 Colorado Fog Light Kit (23459834) = $213.75

Installed it today. everything fit. Just need to get it programed.

Success! Colorado all programed and working like it should.

Last edited by Adamharkey; 07-05-2016 at 02:24 PM.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Installed the 23459834 fog light kit on my 2016 Colorado LT, but had a problem inserting the harness wire into the #31 cavity of the UEC (Underhood Electrical Center). mjonesjr84's instructions say to pull the gray clip out of the cavity and then insert the harness wire. The 23459681 GM instructions that came with the kit doesn't mention this. Is there a trick to pulling the gray clip out? I can't seem to remove the clip. The wire apparently won't go into the cavity without the clip being removed first. Thanks.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsec View Post
Installed the 23459834 fog light kit on my 2016 Colorado LT, but had a problem inserting the harness wire into the #31 cavity of the UEC (Underhood Electrical Center). mjonesjr84's instructions say to pull the gray clip out of the cavity and then insert the harness wire. The 23459681 GM instructions that came with the kit doesn't mention this. Is there a trick to pulling the gray clip out? I can't seem to remove the clip. The wire apparently won't go into the cavity without the clip being removed first. Thanks.
The clip should slide out. It will take slight pressure to get it out. Use a small flat screwdriver. It slides out, trust me.

2016 Colorado
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:02 PM

i bought a kit for fog lights looking at your install is bracket on all colorados mine is a crew cab LT but no park lights I mean the brackett you attach the lamp to
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:01 PM

I just installed my fog lights today. It took a little longer than I expected. The tabs on the new bezels wouldn't engage on the sides closest to the grille. I don't think they'll come out, since there are 5 other tabs holding them in. Did anyone else have that problem?

I also had an issue with pictures not showing up in this thread. I know they were there at one time.

Now I just need to do the zip ties, screw the wheel well liners in, and take it to the dealer.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 AM

One other thing I noticed. The dimmer switch only affects the buttons in the middle of the dash now, and not the gauges. I haven't had the BCM flashed yet, so I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. I've got an appointment this afternoon at the dealership!
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aver3 View Post
I just installed my fog lights today. It took a little longer than I expected. The tabs on the new bezels wouldn't engage on the sides closest to the grille. I don't think they'll come out, since there are 5 other tabs holding them in. Did anyone else have that problem

I also had an issue with pictures not showing up in this thread. I know they were there at one time.

Now I just need to do the zip ties, screw the wheel well liners in, and take it to the dealer.
I fixed the pictures. Where I have the pictures hosted updated the link address for them. Sorry about that.

2016 Colorado
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aver3 View Post
One other thing I noticed. The dimmer switch only affects the buttons in the middle of the dash now, and not the gauges. I haven't had the BCM flashed yet, so I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. I've got an appointment this afternoon at the dealership!
If I remember correctly, mine worked without any issues.

2016 Colorado
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Excellent write-up and pictures! However, IMO, the cost for the OEM Fog Light Kit, 213.75 (lowest price I could find) plus $100 or more for a dealer flash is way too pricey for a fog light kit. I personally will go aftermarket. My choice is the SPYDER Fog Light Kit, currently on sale at AutoAnything for $88.00. Only difference is you will have a separate switch and a dealer flash is not necessary!
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John302mo View Post
Excellent write-up and pictures! However, IMO, the cost for the OEM Fog Light Kit, 213.75 (lowest price I could find) plus $100 or more for a dealer flash is way too pricey for a fog light kit. I personally will go aftermarket. My choice is the SPYDER Fog Light Kit, currently on sale at AutoAnything for $88.00. Only difference is you will have a separate switch and a dealer flash is not necessary!
The truck that I did this how-to on has since moved on and I have a new '16 crew cab Colorado. It didn't come with fog lights. I didn't do the factory fogs again on this new truck. I got a kit off eBay for $68 shipped that had the lights, wiring harness, and bezels. I didn't want to have to turn the fog lights on every time the headlights came on so I tapped into the parking light + and used that to trigger the relay in the wiring.

The factory not having the ability to come on automatically with the headlights is a PITA. I like to have the extra light at night since I drive down a twisty state highway to get home that is known for deer vs vehicle incidents.

2016 Colorado
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
I fixed the pictures. Where I have the pictures hosted updated the link address for them. Sorry about that.
Thanks, man. Even without the pictures, your writeup was a HUGE help. I had my iPad mini sitting next to me or in the cab the entire time, with this page open in the browser.

The dimmer switch works just fine after it got dark outside. I'm so happy that I can see to the sides of the roads much better now.

I told my wife the dealership wanted $100 + tax, and she said "Even though YOU did all the work??" Then when I went in to have it done, they said GM charges them $50 every time they call to get an authorization, so of course they would pass that cost onto me. When I actually paid, they said the $50 fee was waived because I had the authorization number already. $115 out the door.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
Thank you OP

The write up and pics definitely helped to supplement the weak instructions that came with the kit.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
The truck that I did this how-to on has since moved on and I have a new '16 crew cab Colorado. It didn't come with fog lights. I didn't do the factory fogs again on this new truck. I got a kit off eBay for $68 shipped that had the lights, wiring harness, and bezels. I didn't want to have to turn the fog lights on every time the headlights came on so I tapped into the parking light + and used that to trigger the relay in the wiring.

The factory not having the ability to come on automatically with the headlights is a PITA. I like to have the extra light at night since I drive down a twisty state highway to get home that is known for deer vs vehicle incidents.
Any chance you have a picture of where you tapped in to the parking light wire?

Planning to install mine tomorrow the same way..

2015 Canyon Crew Cab | 3.6L V6 | BNR Tune | Pioneer 5800 | Eibach Leveling Shocks 1.4"|
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar424 View Post
Any chance you have a picture of where you tapped in to the parking light wire?

Planning to install mine tomorrow the same way..
I don't have a picture. I removed the small side marker light on the driver side and tapped into the 12v + wire there. I split the wire and soldered the new wire in. I then covered it with heat shrink.

2016 Colorado
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I don't have a picture. I removed the small side marker light on the driver side and tapped into the 12v + wire there. I split the wire and soldered the new wire in. I then covered it with heat shrink.
I'm trying to wire it up now. I was able to to find the wiring diagram but I was never good reading them. Do I tap in to the red or yellow for the relay?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2759.PNG.jpg (43.6 KB, 33 views)

2015 Canyon Crew Cab | 3.6L V6 | BNR Tune | Pioneer 5800 | Eibach Leveling Shocks 1.4"|
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar424 View Post
I'm trying to wire it up now. I was able to to find the wiring diagram but I was never good reading them. Do I tap in to the red or yellow for the relay?
Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram. Some use yellow for ignition hot and red for constant hot. However, some do these in reverse.

2016 Colorado
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram. Some use yellow for ignition hot and red for constant hot. However, some do these in reverse.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...2015_en_US.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 6.19.35 PM.jpg (99.8 KB, 21 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode