How-To: OEM Fog Light Kit Install (P/N: 23459834) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

How-To: OEM Fog Light Kit Install (P/N: 23459834)

This How-To is intended to explain further the GM instructions better and hopefully help someone else out.

I installed this kit on my '16 Colorado WT. I did verify with GM Parts Direct by sending them my VIN and part # to verify that it would work with my truck. They confirmed that it would work and guaranteed that if it didn't function after having the truck programmed that I could return it, even after it was installed.

**Disclaimer** - I take no responsibility if you do not verify fitment nor am I responsible if you put the wire in the wrong spot in the PDC. Please read the instructions carefully before performing the install on your truck. If you don't feel comfortable doing any part of the install, please have the dealer install your lights.

Parts Needed:
GM P/N 23459834

Tools Needed:
1/4" Drive Ratchet
1/4" Drive T-15 Socket
1/4" Drive 7mm Socket
3/8" Drive Ratchet
3/8" Drive 3" Extension
3/8" Drive 10mm Socket
3/8" Drive 13mm Socket
3/8" Drive 15mm Socket
Side Cutters
Flat Screw Driver

The GM instructions are attached below (thanks Duc for the instructions).

Obviously here is what the WT's look like (this is not my truck, but setup just like it) without fog lights.

1. Remove the 6x T15 Torx screws holding the driver side wheel well in the front. It is easier to turn the tire to the side you are working on. I recommend starting on the drive side. This will allow you to start the wiring on the passenger side and work across to the driver side.

2. Remove the fill in panels by depressing the tabs around the back and pushing forward on the panel at the same time. It should pop out pretty easy, bottom first. When it is out you will have just like the picture below.

3. Insert the fog light assembly into the front fascia. The lights for both sides are the same.

4. Put the chrome trim into the black fog light surround.

5. Insert the fog light surround & trim into the front fascia. Insert the top in first, then make sure the tabs are lining up to the holes in the fascia before snapping it into place.

6. Repeat steps 1-5 for the opposite side.

7. Remove the 2x 15mm bolts holding the center splash guard to the bottom of the core support.

8. Lay out the wiring harness in front of the truck with the wire that goes to the PDC on the driver side.

9. Starting on the passenger side, plug in the fog light. The black plastic push pin goes into the hole in the bottom of the angle brace for the bumper. This angle brace mounts in front of the front body mount and runs off at a 45* angle. You can see it in the image below.

10. Run the wire across the bottom of the core support above the splash shield. Do NOT zip tie it up yet. If you have tow hooks, the M10 stud clips attached to the wiring harness goes on the bolts holding the tow hook to the frame (inside of the frame rail) on both sides.

11. Plug in the driver side fog light attaching the black plastic push pin to the same spot on the driver side.

12. Remove the bolt on the driver side that holds the ground wire, just above the fog light. Place the fog light wiring harness onto the bolt and reinstall the bolt.

13. Open the hood and chase the wire up through the fender to the engine compartment, following other wiring harness.

14. Zip tie the wire to the core support being careful of wire placement; don't use the holes the splash guard bolts go into.

15. Reinstall the 2x 15mm bolts into the splash guard and secure it back to the core support.

16. Reinstall the passenger and driver wheel well with the 6x (per side) T15 screws.

17. Open the hood and disconnect the battery positive and ground cable(10mm). Also remove the red battery supply cable going to the PDC (13mm nut).

18. Remove the cover to the PDC. My finger in the second picture is pointing to the fuse F48 that supplies power to the fog lights.

19. Using a 10mm socket, loosen the 3x bolts in the PDC; do not remove completely. Use your socket and push down on the bolts, then loosen a little more. Repeat the push down and loosen until the plugs under the PDC are lose.

20. Using a small flat screwdriver, loosen the 6x clips that are holding the top of the PDC while picking up on the top. In the picture below, the plug we will be working with is on the top right.

21. Pick the plug you need up and rotate it so the "GM" stamp located in the cavity is on the right side. The arrow below shows which cavity the wire from the fog light harness goes into.

22. Roll the plug over to the left like the picture below. The gray clip on the right (towards the rear of the truck) needs to be pulled out so the new wire will go into the plug. Your new wire will go into cavity #31, located directly above #12 cavity (see picture below). The wire to the right of cavity #31 (#30) is GR/VT. Once the gray clip is pulled out, orientate the new wire pin in the same orientation as the GR/VT wire next to it and slip it into the plug; push the gray clip back into the plug.

23. Roll the plug back into position as it was when you removed the top of the PDC. Take note that the "GM" is on the left and read upside down from the driver fender.

24. Roll the PDC top back into position. You should be able to plug in the plugs slightly. Snap the PDC top back into the bottom bracket. Use the 3x 10mm bolts to draw them tight to the PDC top.

25. Replace the PDC cover.

26. Reinstall the PDC red power wire.

27. Reinstall the battery positive and ground wires. Close the hood.

28. Go inside the truck on the driver side and remove the 2x 7mm screws holding the bottom portion of the driver knee bolster to the dash.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf '15-'16 GM Colorado Fog Light Install Instructions.pdf (1.08 MB, 109 views)

2016 Colorado

Last edited by mjonesjr84; 04-15-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

29. Pull the top left side of the knee bolster cover (near the headlight switch) back exposing the rear of the headlight switch. Unplug the headlight switch and remove the old headlight switch. Install the new headlight switch and reinstall the wiring plug. Snap the knee bolster back into place and reinstall the 2x 7mm bolts.

Installation is now complete. Now you can schedule an appointment at a dealer to have them program the BCM to recognize the fog lights. You dealer who does the programming will need the paper that comes with the kit that has the "Authorization Code" printed on it. Without the Authorization Code, GM will not give them the program for the BCM.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf '15-'16 GM Colorado Fog Light Install Instructions.pdf (1.08 MB, 118 views)

2016 Colorado

Last edited by mjonesjr84; 04-15-2017 at 05:25 PM.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Garage
Excellent how to and write up!
Jason1354, lqdchkn and ramyers like this.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 PM
Senior Administrator

Garage
Thanks for your contribution to a must have mod!
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 08:32 PM

Very nice!
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I will do a little update to this.

When you do this and need a dealer to do your programming, do NOT schedule the appointment on a Saturday. The GM department they need to call to get the programming for the fog lights is not open on Saturday.

I find it funny, because I also had my remote start programmed today and the department they needed for it was open today.

2016 Colorado
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
I will do a little update to this.

When you do this and need a dealer to do your programming, do NOT schedule the appointment on a Saturday. The GM department they need to call to get the programming for the fog lights is not open on Saturday.

I find it funny, because I also had my remote start programmed today and the department they needed for it was open today.
it's the same "department", they should have been able to give them both numbers at the same time. I'm not surprised that they would not be open on Saturday. maybe someone had already called in and given them the number for your remote start programing?
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

They didn't get the programming started for the remote start until I got there. I got the remote start and fog light kit from GM Parts Direct.

I've got to go back Monday at 5. They are going to call and have the authorization done since GM closes at 5.

2016 Colorado
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 PM

Garage
I am waiting for GMparts to send one out. What kind of cost am I to expect for the programming? Also, did you install the remote start as well?
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

I paid $245 for both the remote start and fog light programming.

The remote start was nothing more than the key fobs and activation code. There was nothing to install on my end. Have GM Parts Direct check your VIN to see if you need the remote start that comes with the new hood latch. I didn't need the kit with the latch.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 AM

Garage
Very helpful, I plan to do both upgrades.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 PM

Garage
Thanks <Mjones. So do the colorados have remote start on them already and just need the remotes, plus programing?

Wonder what the hood latch is all about.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure exactly. I think the kit with the hood latch has to do with the truck info display showing the hood open.

The programming just has to be added to the BCM.

If you do get the remote start and have OnStar, you can call them and have them add the remote start feature to your RemoteLink app.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 AM

Garage
Thanks for the info mjonesjr84. I installed both lights yesterday. I went ahead and ordered the remote key fobs, so I'll have to wait until Friday to get the programming done on both items. I also installed the Roughcountry 30" LED light bar and brackets yesterday. WOW what a difference adding fog lights and the light bar make.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Did you order the remote start kit or just the key fobs? The kit comes with an authorization code that the dealer needs to give GM to get the BCM programming. If you didn't get the kit, they can't program it.
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 12:44 PM

How hard is it to upgrade headlight bulbs manual says go to dealer for passenger side.
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't tell ya, haven't done it.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:57 PM

Garage
I ordered the kit and will have to wait until Fri. to see if everything works.
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 08:21 AM

Will this fog light kit work on a 2015 Colorado LT?
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstarventure View Post
Will this fog light kit work on a 2015 Colorado LT?
I can't verify that. You need to send your VIN to GM Parts Direct and have them verify the fitment with the kit part #.

2016 Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode