Ambient Light Sensor Override (Take Your Brightness Control Back) - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
since you had everything torn apart

WHY NOT JUST TURN THE R2 AROUND POINTING IT OUTSIDE?
the red lens is the alarm sensor light
A couple reasons that might not work:
1. The sensor but on a different circuit is also used in averaging the interior vs exterior brightness for the auto dimming rear view mirror and I didn't want to effect that operation.
2. Turning it around wouldn't change the fact that if it's not averaging "properly" because of the frequency of being in a shadow, frontward or backwards it's still gonna be shadowed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the post. Seems like a lot of work for a GM problem that mostly everyone is experiencing.
lqdchkn likes this.

2016 4X4 Canyon
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 AM

Home Depot sells light sensors for wiring porch lights, wonder if we could use that instead of a switch. Basically adding our own sensor to it that has better sensitivity. The vw golf with standard lights has a mod that uses an aftermarket adjustable light sensor. Pretty inexpensive. Could work to.

Rig: 16' Colly LT 4x4 2.8D, CCSB, G80, Bose, etc

Built list: Bak revolver x2, premium Line-X, rigid b/up lights cut & mounted in bumper, kn insert air fltr, zroadz fog plate w/rigid spots & floods, d-max tuner, matte blk badges and custom diesel badges, bilstien 5100 RHA 2" lift with rear 1" gm lift blks, 275/65-18 TA ko2, 2" wheel spacers (big rub @ full steer, w/o spacers), pedal cmdr

To/do: AFE intake, puddle leds, Anzo tails, Zone 1.5" body lft

Sponsors: Virginia Line-X (Ant).

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:03 AM

Definitely interested in this mod. Can you do a quick walk though on how to remove the dash?
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwolf79 View Post
Definitely interested in this mod. Can you do a quick walk though on how to remove the dash?
Like you wanna do it from the top and have access to the full length of the sensor harness or you just want to get to the area near its branch from the main harness (where you can splice into) that I show in the pic with my finger?
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Like you wanna do it from the top and have access to the full length of the sensor harness or you just want to get to the area near its branch from the main harness (where you can splice into) that I show in the pic with my finger?
I just want to install a switch the easiest way possible, so do I just need to get to the branch area?
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just want to install a switch the easiest way possible, so do I just need to get to the branch area?
Yeah.

I think I followed someone's radio removal. Basically just pull the trim off from around the radio/hvac controls.

Basically what's shown in the first pic in post 4 here:

Interior Trim Removal

You may need to remove the MyLink screen but thats pretty straight forward. A couple screws they were obvious if I remember and then some connectors on the back.
Since I had everything apart, I don't remember if you actually have to remove the MyLink display or if you can see the wiring without removal. It will be very near the upper left corner of the display in either case

Scariest part was pulling that faceplate/trim off.
barnaby and Airwolf79 like this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 03-01-2017 at 04:11 PM.
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:59 PM

What gauge wire did you use, and where did you mount your switch? I assume down by the cig charger?
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What gauge wire did you use, and where did you mount your switch? I assume down by the cig charger?
Ummm don't remember but I think it was 18awg because I don't usually buy anything smaller. Factory is really thin, like 22-24awg so as long as youre bigger you wont hurt anything.

I actually wanted it close to the light switch since I wasn't gonna label it and that kinda makes it easier to remember what it goes with.

I mounted it low on the kick panel below the light switch but down a ways closer to the OBD connector and hood latch. Close enough to feel to reach but not so high and it's terrible noticeable, I don't think I took any pics

I used the little round on-off switch I posted earlier (no lights, I didn't want anything to potentially affect the circuit voltage or be a distraction) but mounted it as a horizontal toggle rather than a traditional up-down.

The way I did it is left is closed - normal automatic operation which corresponds with the light switch "auto" position being on the left. Right would be open and thus full bright which corresponds to the light switch "manual" mode being all the way to the right. This way I can tell by feel where it's at.

PS. Do it however you want. I probably over thought all that LOL
plym67cuda and Airwolf79 like this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 03-08-2017 at 09:14 PM.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:07 AM

Ambient Light Sensor Override (Take Your Brightness Control Back)

I'm not sure why GM makes this so difficult. This stuff is all computer controlled, we should be able to adjust it on the fly. I'm no toyota guy, but the cheap rental I had the other day had an adjustment right on the infotainment screen...

They could also add a 4WD indicator to the DIC screen through software, but that's a topic for another forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Grey16Ziti; 03-09-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:32 AM

I haven't noticed an issue with this on my 2017. But it's an interesting hack none the less.
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 PM

How do you get the outer frame around the stereo off man? I tried prying it, but I felt like I was gonna break it so I just gave up.
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
How do you get the outer frame around the stereo off man? I tried prying it, but I felt like I was gonna break it so I just gave up.
Yeah it's supposed to feel like that. Just pull, it's hella scary but try to do it carefully but firmly

You can see the clip locations in the pics from Kokiri

Airwolf79 likes this.
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey16Ziti View Post
I'm not sure why GM makes this so difficult. This stuff is all computer controlled, we should be able to adjust it on the fly. I'm no toyota guy, but the cheap rental I had the other day had an adjustment right on the infotainment screen...

They could also add a 4WD indicator to the DIC screen through software, but that's a topic for another forum.

ts
even mazda is light years ahead of GM on electronics like heads-up displays, more fine tuning adjustments in the DIC including rear camera view adjustments. oh yea the asians are more educated than americans
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

^^^^Y'all, are you even sure those settings in other vehicles control when the interior lights dim? They appear to be the Headlight settings. We're trying to control out interior lights here. So it think yall are off topic a bit

Last edited by lqdchkn; 03-11-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
^^^^Y'all, are you even sure those settings in other vehicles control when the interior lights dim? They appear to be the Headlight settings. We're trying to control out interior lights here. So it think yall are off topic a bit

How is talk of automatic headlight settings off topic? The interior displays dim because the headlights were turned on, because the truck thinks it's dark. You wouldn't want your interior displays being at full brightness at night, so the system dims them at night, when it turns the headlights (not daytime running lights) on. Confused about your confusion.

post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey16Ziti View Post
How is talk of automatic headlight settings off topic? The interior displays dim because the headlights were turned on, because the truck thinks it's dark. You wouldn't want your interior displays being at full brightness at night, so the system dims them at night, when it turns the headlights (not daytime running lights) on. Confused about your confusion.

Ummm nope pretty sure they are not linked. Since even if you turn them off manually the interior will still dim on you when it perceives it "should be" dark

Try it for yourself, manually turn your headlights off and watch the interior will still dim on you

You can even see the interior brightness dim if the truck isn't even on. Sit in a parking lot with the front in the shade and it full daylight out. Your interrior will dim so that you can barely see it even with the truck off.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 03-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

@Airwolf79 How'd it go?
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:32 PM

I haven't tried again yet. I'm too paranoid that I'm gonna break it. Worse yet, I have a new rattle occurring while driving because of trying to pry it off. Pissed. 😡
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I haven't tried again yet. I'm too paranoid that I'm gonna break it. Worse yet, I have a new rattle occurring while driving because of trying to pry it off. Pissed. ��
That sucks

When I pulled off the lower cubby (separate project) the last time it was on so tight that 2 of the clips literally flipped themselves inside out. Needs less to say there is no reason that little cubby needs to be held on with 6 clips. It's barely even big enough to fit all of them, so those 2 went in the trash and it's plenty secure with the other 4.

Point being that since you tugged on it maybe you loosened a clip or 2, since they can deform, and the trim is loosened.

You do have a plastic trim pry tool set right? Try putting a few layers of blue tape on the dash that will help protect from gouges where you need to insert the tools. Try to pry near where the clips are to be most effective at popping them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode