How to: Remove/Replace Front strut 16' colorado (Bilstein 5100 RHA) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Post How to: Remove/Replace Front strut 16' colorado (Bilstein 5100 RHA)

How to: Remove/Replace Front strut 16' colorado (Bilstein 5100 RHA)

This write up is a "how to" for removing and replacing the front struts, and how to change the shocks within said strut. The rears are not going to be pictured here but will be discussed.

"I AM A MECHANIC, HOWEVER, THIS JOB WAS COMPLETED ON THE STREET, IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE WITH ONLY AN AIR LINE AND BASIC TOOLS (ASIDE FROM A VICE). I DO NOT - DO NOT CONDONE DOING ANY REPAIRS OF THIS NATURE! PLEASE TAKE IT TO AN ASE MECHANIC. ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS IS NOT A SERVICE MANUAL NOR IS IT AN ATTEMPT AT TRAINING."

Now that the legalese is out of the way- here we go.

PB BLAST LOWER SPRING PURCH (ALOT), LET SIT OVER NIGHT IF POSSIBLE!

Tools required:
6mm open or nonmaring pliers (hold strut rod whilst loosening spring retention nut)
6mm allen head (hex) (either socket or key, upper ball removal)
10mm socket with 4" extension (sway mount clamps)
13mm standard socket (lower sway bolt)
15mm open end wrench (loosen spring retention nut)
15mm deep socket (upper sway bolt)
18mm combo wrench (upper strut nuts, as well as upper ball removal)
18mm mid deep socket on swivel head (rear nut upper strut) do rear first!
21mm standard socket (lower strut bolt)-- do ball joint first! (Also used for all rear shocks)
22mm socket (lug nuts)
two HD spring compressors (spring removal)
Vise (to aid in holding strut)
Jack (3 ton)
bottle jack or other secondary jack
Jack safety stands (aka: jack stands)
table
towel
pb blaster

tbc

I USED THE UPPER BALL MOUNT DISMOUNT METHOD AS SOME OF US ARE REPLACING SAID SUPPORT AND ITS JUST A FEW MORE STEPS TO DO SO.
soul strife, lqdchkn and mexica like this.

Rig: 16' Colly LT 4x4 2.8D, short bed, G80, Bose, etc

Built list: Bak revolver x2, premium Line-X, rigid b/up lights cut & mounted in bumper, kn insert air fltr, zroadz fog plate w/rigid spots & floods, d-max tuner, matte blk badges and custom diesel badges, bilstien 5100 RHA 2" lift with rear 1" gm lift blks, 275/65-18 TA ko2 (big rub @ full steer, w/no spacers)

To/do: dry cold air intake, puddle leds, helo 904s w/ 0 offset, Anzo tails

Sponsors: Virginia Line-X (Ant), Alt Mana.

Last edited by SigArms; 04-09-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Remove wheel

The picture will follow the description. as such:
The way to clean your teeth is blah blah blah blah.
(picture of toothbrush and sink)

First:

Bring the truck to rest with wheels straight in a well lit, but shaded area, that is level and clear of debris. Place truck in park or in 1st gear, set parking brake, remove key from truck. Get a small table, a jack, jack stands and all tools organized before starting to aid in efficiency. Organize all replacement parts from front to rear and all cleaners/chemicals needed.

Place jack under truck, just behind the forward (non sloping) portion of the frame rail, leaving room for the jack stand on the frame rail (non sloping) in front of it. Before raising truck, break free but do not remove lug nuts on both front wheels (WHILE TRUCK IS ON GROUND). After breaking free, jack truck up until the front driver wheel is about 3-4" off the ground.

Remove lugs, place on table on a towel as to not roll, remove wheel, breathe. It will be ok. Locate all areas discussed in this post, read entire post prior to attempt, know all torque specs before moving forward.

Built list: Bak revolver x2, premium Line-X, rigid b/up lights cut & mounted in bumper, kn insert air fltr, zroadz fog plate w/rigid spots & floods, d-max tuner, matte blk badges and custom diesel badges, bilstien 5100 RHA 2" lift with rear 1" gm lift blks, 275/65-18 TA ko2 (big rub @ full steer, w/no spacers)

Last edited by SigArms; 04-09-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Removing sway connections

The sway connections will be removed next, both must be removed, both can be removed with wheels on and may work better due to articulation from jacking.

The top nut for the sway mount is a 15mm socket, the bottom is a 13mm socket. The top is a nyloc nut and there will be no force on sway if done on ground first. Once loose, remove nut and set aside, pull sway spacer off bolt, remove bolt out from bottom. clean, set aside.

It may be necessary to loosen the mounts for the sway as well. these are two 10mm nuts, only loosen 3-4 turns.

Last edited by SigArms; 04-09-2017 at 01:13 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Upper ball joint seperation

First remove clips for abs line and brake line to allow for room and knuckle movement.

The next step is to separate the upper ball joint from knuckle. This should not need a pickle fork as the strut should aid in this, however my truck is never off road, has only 12k miles on it and is a 2016. so... be mindful.

find upper ball joint and nut,

it takes two tools to make this separation happen, an 18mm combo wrench (ratcheting if possible) and a 6mm hex (key or socket). place the 6mm hex key through the 18mm wrench, then slide 6mm hex into bottom of ball joint (see pic below), slide 18mm wrench up on to nut and cycle down (but do not remove yet). the 6mm will have to be placed in "on if using a ratchet" and the 18mm will be in "off".

Before completing the full removal of the ball joint nut. place second jack under the lower arm and jack till slight pressure is accepted.

after this, go ahead and finish removing the ball joint nut. set aside.

Last edited by SigArms; 04-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Strut removal

Next we will remove the actual strut from the truck, it may seem scary, but this is the easier of all the parts. just pay attention to what goes where and to the pics included and you will be fine.

Lets start with the loosening and removal of the lower strut bolt. this will require a 21 mm standard socket and ratchet. Its long, I used an impact to remove (NEVER USE AN IMPACT TO INSTALL SUSPENSION FASTENERS!) There is no pic here, if you cant find the lower bolt... maybe dont keep going please.

following the above, we will be removing the upper strut nuts next. no need to remove the wheel well liner, they come off just fine with it on. This will require 18mm tools, I used a swivel headed ratchet with a mid-deep 18mm socket for the rear, and a ratcheting combo 18mm for the front two. DO NOT LOOSEN THE MIDDLE NUT!!!

Do the rear one nut first:

Then use combo to do the front two, just slide wrench up under liner like so:

Next is the interesting part, sliding strut out. its hard to explain... the upper ball mount will flex upward, lower the strut in between the forward portion of the lower wishbone:

then with one hand supporting the strut, raise the upper support:

clear the top strut studs from upper mount and tilt back towards rear of vehicle while raising up and out. it will come out, and with out force:

TAKE NOTE OF SPRING COIL DIRECTION AND STRUT BOLT PATTERN! Make a mark if you need a ref point for install. This is imperative.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Last edited by macr88; 04-09-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Move request
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Last edited by macr88; 04-09-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Move request
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Strut dis and ass (part one)

Basically this is the scariest part of the whole job. PLEASE TAKE CAUTION AS THIS IS ALSO THE MOST DANGEROUS PART!!!

Using the tools suggested, it is still hard to do, please consider stopping and taking the struts in to a pro.

That being said, autozone, advanced, and O'rilleys all rent the compression tool for cheap / free.

We will start with setting up our table - I used a vise:

Read the billy directions in full!!!! pay attention, slow down, drink water, breathe.

First, we will read the directions, then, we will locate all points on the parts they spoke of to better grasp the wording. Only after all of this, will we start to attach the compressors on even and opposing sides of the spring.

I found it was easier to tighten the compressors whilst pressing downward, so I laid it on the table to compress it then moved it back to the vise for dis and ass.

Tight / compress the spring very very very very much. So much so that its kinda scary. then look at the spring retention nut on top (the middle one now), if it looks like this:

its not compressed enough. DO NOT TRY TO LOOSEN THE NUT WHILE IT IS STILL HAS SPRING TENSION ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should look like this once the spring is compressed enough with the compression tools (note the gap between the nut and the plate:

Now there are two points that must be held / loosened. The top center 6mm (or nonmaring pliers):

and the nut it self with a 15mm open end wrench:

remove and save top plate. remember that it is the top plate!

now remove top spring bushing and stud assymb:

now remove compressed spring assymb (if you did not tighten it enough, the new 5100 will not go on correctly and it will need to be tightened more):

remove bottom washer that is contained within plastic protection shroud (take washer out of shroud-it is the bottom washer! it is bigger than the top! do not mix them up!):

Invert shock, rod end in vise, tight, spray with PB blaster, let sit, go eat lunch:

tap bottom plate with BFH whilst turning shock (tap turn, tap turn, tap turn-DO NOT HEAT!):

mine was rusted and difficult to remove, I was hitting it so hard I thought I was going to bend it... if finally came free.

see part 2 for finish

Last edited by SigArms; 04-09-2017 at 05:25 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Strut dis and ass (part two)

part two:

now take the lower spring perch off and decrease, light sand the rust, light coat in anti seize, set aside:

unbox 5100s (or your set of shocks-this relates to 5100 RHA) find directions, read again. If you are looking for the full 2: place retention ring on top most groove and seat correctly:

place 5100 collar over top as shown and slide allll the way down:

fully seated:

slide stock lower spring perch down over 5100 collar:

I placed anti seize on the washers and perches, slide boot over center rod, and locate stock bottom washer, install, the bottom one is larger in diameter than the top:

using 5100s new top nut, re-ass and reverse all steps listed above:

Mind all torque specs, take your time, double check all nuts and bolts, drive around the block twice and recheck.

GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Rear shocks

The rear shocks are really straight forward, They take two 21mm tools to remove and install. The passenger side is easy (5 mins).

The driver side.... sucks.

they built the trucks suspension first apparently and installed the DEF tank after. so... the bolt is like 4 inches long and will not come out. I got mine out after an hour of messing with it. I will not say how I did it as I do not like how it happened. if anyone would like to add how they did feel free.

I did however, cut and chamfer the bolt down so as to not have this problem again, the bolt was cut down to a perfect 62mm in length, it went right in and will come right out now with not much effort.

before (26.5cm): measured from the well to the rim

after (30cm): measured from the well to the rim

how it sits:

END OF WRITE UP: COMMENT AWAY; BTW, SOME WORDS WERE USED SO AS TO NOT HAVE TO TYPE SO MUCH. WE HAVE COILOVERS NOT STRUTS, STRUT IS EASIER TO TYPE. AND THERE ARE A BILLION WAYS THIS COULD HAVE BEEN DONE. THIS WAS MINE. THANKS FOR READING.
macr88 likes this.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Rear blocks

Also did the rear blocks to get the rake back. Straight forward. Make sure to not tighten till truck is back on ground.

Before height: 29cm

After height: 33.2cm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0174.jpg (192.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0230.jpg (159.7 KB, 58 views)
macr88 likes this.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:23 PM

Nice right up, I just lowered my Def tank by removing the three bolts towards the front of the vehicle and on the passengers side. I loosened the nut towards the front drivers side for safety bracket and the Def tank was low enough for the bolt to fit in the dimple of the Def tank. The bolt could've easily been much shorter as with pretty much every bolt I've come in contact with this truck.

Duken4evr and SigArms like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 PM

Moved my post from the middle of diy as requested by SigArms.

You can do it without removing the upper control arm from the knuckle and instead remove the tie rod from the ball joint. Sway bar must be out of the way though, mine's been removed for a while now so I skipped that step.

FYI our front suspension doesn't utilize a struts, it's simply a coilover. Strut type suspensions don't have an upper control arm

SigArms likes this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 10:02 PM

Moved my post from the middle of the DIY as requested by SigArms.

Oh I also did mine with the wheels on, just one less thing that wasn't really needed.
I didn't remove any abs lines since none of the arms or knuckles were able to extend further than designed. Also no worries about overextending the cv joints and losing a bearing.

SigArms likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks macr88
macr88 likes this.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Nice write up. How do you like the ride of the Bilsteins?

I had them on my 2014 Sierra and thought they were good.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

They are wasaaaaaayyyy better than stock. I am very glad I waited!

5 stars!
macr88 likes this.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Before- stock

After- rear Silverado blocks front and rear billy 5100 RHA, 275/65R17 BF Goodrich T/A KO2

Last edited by SigArms; 04-16-2017 at 02:09 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:17 PM

Can this safely be combined with a 2-3" strut spacer or does that push front driveline angles or other components past their safe spot?

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Garage
How to: Remove/Replace Front strut 16' colorado (Bilstein 5100 RHA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Can this safely be combined with a 2-3" strut spacer or does that push front driveline angles or other components past their safe spot?

The general consensus around, is no.... That's all

Last edited by Clince; 04-17-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode