LED/HID Head Light Dust Cover Extension Mod for GM Projector Housings $2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By GraniteBlue05
  • 1 Post By videopho
  • 1 Post By GraniteBlue05

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

LED/HID Head Light Dust Cover Extension Mod for GM Projector Housings $2

For anyone who might be interested in an alternative headlight dust cap extension. This allows substantially more room than some other methods and isn't a lot of work if you have the tools and are handy.

Also, proceed at your own risk.

I've recently started trying out some LED headlights, just because I enjoy trying out new things that I may find useful. In the process, as many know, the GM projector (and halogen high beams for that matter) have a dust cover over them. When converting to some HID and many LED H11 headlight replacements, the GM dust cover makes for a tight fit if it can be still used at all. So, I endeavored to modify the GM factory headlight dust covers to remedy this.

I wanted a decent looking outcome without spending a lot of cash. After trying various off the shelf "parts", I used the ever helpful process of "thinking outside the box". I purchased 4 GM dust covers for about $9ea which are used on many new GM vehicles:

Part No.: 23486492 COVER ASM-HDLP BULB ACC

I purchased these both to have potential spares for my other vehicle or in case I needed a sacrificial prototype. . . In other words, buggered one up. But all went well and I made a couple pair. Of course, you can always just mod the ones your vehicle comes with and save $$. The only other items I needed were the "Custom Dust Cover Extensions" and some adhesive sealant to secure them to the GM dust cover after a bit of manicuring.

I initially tried some smaller diameter extensions and found it too much trouble to implement since the H11 bulb does not sit centered behind the GM dust cover. Therefore, I opted for a dust cover lobotomy and removed a good portion of it that yielded a lot of potential room. This leaves very adequate space for HID wiring/connectors, etc as well as the bulk of LED cooling apparatus be it cooling fans/fins or those braided wire strips. The pictures show an unmodified GM Dust Cover and the result after using a 1.5" hole saw to cut 3 overlapping holes into the top and then a Dremel to finish out the rest. It also helps to true up the plastic drain cover edge by using a sanding block or belt sander, as well as trimming some flash off of the edges and surface with a utility or Exacto blade. I am also thinking of adding a few ventilation holes with filter media behind them to allow more heat to escape from the bulb housing. The filter media will keep most dust out, but allow air to move through.

In all, the "Custom Dust Cover Extension" cost less than $2 each plus a little adhesive. I happened to have and recommend some automotive Goop brand adhesive which works well. It adheres to most plastics.

I am using some H11 LEDs which I will post here and are working very well. They are the best for the $$ I have found unless I wanted to spend +$80 to $100 or more. And these seem to have both a good low beam pattern as well as lighted distance ahead of the vehicle. There are a few that are slightly better, but then it is in the higher price range as mentioned. I found the H11 LED headlights I used for $35 the pair on 'Zon when they had a coupon price. Normally about $50. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXMIRY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE:
By the way. . these H11 LED replacements require no capacitor or other wiring to remedy DRL flickering. They are plug and play.

2017 LED Headlight Reviews: - - -
https://10carbest.com/led-headlights-bulbs
In reading the LED reviews, be mindful that things vary depending on the bulb type they replace. . H11, H16, 9004, 9005, etc. I noticed in the review listed here they use a 9007 replacement. The beam pattern on the H11 LED I bought is much better than shown in this review, and this Simdevanma LED H11 still comes up as #2 in Best for 2017 as tested in this review.

Prinsco Model EC03 3" drain cap.

Prinsco Corrugated End Cap (Prinsco 1841323), Drain Tiles | Home Improvement | Theisens.com

https://www.prinsco.com/prinsco-mark...ap-stormwater/
NOTE: I need to make a disclaimer. If you do not find this useful and not your cup of tea, that is OK with me. I do not need or want negative critics. I state this because at times, things are not appreciated by some.

jrc847 likes this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 05-21-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 AM

Nice mod!
I mod'd mine to extend another 3/4 inc using the cable connector cap.
This mod looks a lot nicer and more functional as well.
Thanks for sharing.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

Debadged stock emblems, Cyclops LED headlights. Husky floor liner. 20% tinted. DIM: Dead foot rest pedal.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Did you have to get the Prinsco Model EC03 3" drain cap directly from them or was there something similar in the bog-box hardware stores?

PS..... after digging over pages upon pages of reviews and opinions about LED bulbs, I went with the ones you listed here. I'll let you know how they turn out when they arrive.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
Did you have to get the Prinsco Model EC03 3" drain cap directly from them or was there something similar in the bog-box hardware stores?

PS..... after digging over pages upon pages of reviews and opinions about LED bulbs, I went with the ones you listed here. I'll let you know how they turn out when they arrive.
I got the Prinsco caps from a home supply store, Menard's, that has many stores here in the 5 state upper Midwest region. They happen to carry that brand and I liked them because compared to others I've seen, like at Home Depot, they were more uniform in shape and finish. They had a nice flat top on them similar to the factory caps.
Also, the diameter is a perfect fit over the top of the factory dust cover after trimming down those ribs on the factory dust cover about 3/4" inch or so.

I did not check Lowe's, Ace Hardware or other stores. The Prinsco website does have a phone number and perhaps they could tell you of a local supplier.

The LED bulbs I choose were a good price and someone else here also used them so that's why I went with them. There are others that are more costly or even less, and may fit under the standard dust cover without a mod. I wanted more room no matter what after market HID or LED bulbs I choose. I simply wanted more room under the factory dust cover for cooling, room for wires, driver modules and connectors aren't crammed in there and not allowing the best air circulation.

P.S. I also have another set of LED headlights I'm going to try on wife's Equinox with projector halogens. I 'll post my findings when I get them and have time to install.
Toughsox likes this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 05-20-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:42 PM

Ok, the LEDs came from Amazon today, and I waited till dusk to put them in. All I can say is DAMN !!!! They light up half the town it seems!!!

I did notice though that the electrical connectors dont seem to lock in place. Did you leave the blue rubber insulators in the plug? It got too dark too fast and the Mrs refused to handle 'flashlight duty" so I will look at them better tomorrow after work. But overall, I am EXTREMELY impressed with the lights you suggested.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
Ok, the LEDs came from Amazon today, and I waited till dusk to put them in. All I can say is DAMN !!!! They light up half the town it seems!!!

I did notice though that the electrical connectors dont seem to lock in place. Did you leave the blue rubber insulators in the plug? It got too dark too fast and the Mrs refused to handle 'flashlight duty" so I will look at them better tomorrow after work. But overall, I am EXTREMELY impressed with the lights you suggested.
Glad you like them. Make sure you check the headlight aim. You will likely have to crank the adjustment down (clockwise) a turn or two so you do not blind on coming drivers. The LED cut off seems to be a bit higher than the halogen. But, yeah, they are bright. I cranked the driver side down about half a turn more than the passenger side. I went to a parking lot that had no lights on one end so I could check them myself head on facing the truck at 50, 75, 100, and 150 feet away. I found I still got excellent light throw even after cranking them down a turn or two and they would not blind oncoming traffic.

I was able to insert the plugs all the way in. They are a bit tight but the tab eventually locked into the spot for the tab. I could see just a bit of the blue gasket even after it locked. That blue gasket compresses quite a bit.

I am hoping for us both that these H11 LED headlights last a decent amount of time. They seem of good quality. If I even get two years out of them I will feel ok. LEDs are improving every year and I think in another 2 years there will be even better ones for a fair price.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 05-21-2017 at 09:18 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
Glad you like them. Make sure you check the headlight aim. You will likely have to crank the adjustment down (clockwise) a turn or two so you do not blind on coming drivers. The LED cut off seems to be a bit higher than the halogen. But, yeah, they are bright. I cranked the driver side down about half a turn more than the passenger side. I went to a parking lot that had no lights on one end so I could check them myself head on facing the truck at 50, 75, 100, and 150 feet away. I found I still got excellent light throw even after cranking them down a turn or two and they would not blind oncoming traffic.

I was able to insert the plugs all the way in. They are a bit tight but the tab eventually locked into the spot for the tab. I could see just a bit of the blue gasket even after it locked. That blue gasket compresses quite a bit.

I am hoping for us both that these H11 LED headlights last a decent amount of time. They seem of good quality. If I even get two years out of them I will feel ok. LEDs are improving every year and I think in another 2 years there will be even better ones for a fair price.
Yes, I see what you mean. I just took it for a test drive and will definitely have to adjust these. The left is really bad, and it seems a tad high. I will keep them off till Tuesday evening when I am working late, and will do as you suggest at different intervals.

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions. This is my 1st set of LEDs and your help was very instrumental.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode