• 1 Post By Sigforty
  • 1 Post By lqdchkn
  • 1 Post By Thunderbear
  • 2 Post By drewabbs
  • 1 Post By hyperv6
  • 1 Post By hyperv6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post How to: Remove/Replace Front brake pads (EBC/all)

How to: Remove/Replace Front brake pads 16' colorado (EBC Yellow stuff PN: DP43044R)

This write up is a "how to" for removing and replacing the front brake pads.

"I AM A MECHANIC, HOWEVER, THIS JOB WAS COMPLETED ON THE STREET, IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE WITH ONLY AN AIR LINE AND BASIC TOOLS (ASIDE FROM A VICE). I DO NOT - DO NOT CONDONE DOING ANY REPAIRS OF THIS NATURE! PLEASE TAKE IT TO AN ASE MECHANIC. ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS IS NOT A SERVICE MANUAL NOR IS IT AN ATTEMPT AT TRAINING."

Now that the legalese is out of the way- here we go.

Tools required:
22mm deep well socket w/long ratchet (rims)
Small pick
6-8" pry bar
Jacks
3m red scratch pad
Brake cleaner
Rags

That's all.

Rig: 16' Colly LT 4x4 2.8D, CCSB, G80, Bose, etc

Built list: Bak revolver x2, premium Line-X, rigid b/up lights cut & mounted in bumper, kn insert air fltr, zroadz fog plate w/rigid spots & floods, d-max tuner, matte blk badges and custom diesel badges, bilstien 5100 RHA 2" lift with rear 1" gm lift blks, 275/65-18 TA ko2, 2" wheel spacers (big rub @ full steer, w/o spacers), pedal cmdr

To/do: AFE intake, puddle leds, Anzo tails, Zone 1.5" body lft

Sponsors: Virginia Line-X (Ant).

Last edited by SigArms; 05-18-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Remove wheel, install pads:

This was a very easy and tool light job. No fears or concerns, and an install time of maybe 15 mins each. Note how they look and are Assembled currently!

First, remove wheel. Acquire all tools noted above and inspect rotors. All good? Next locate the brake pad pin retention clips:

IMG_0315.jpg

Then, use small pick to remove said pins from both top and bottom. Use small pick or the like to push brake pad pins out towards the inside of the truck, whilst pushing down on the damper plate:

IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg

Clean pins free of debris, set aside. Use small pry bar (as shown below) to push the old pad (thus pushing brake piston) apart making room for the new pad, do this for the left and right:

IMG_0329.jpg

The pads slide right out of the top, just wiggle them a little (note how and what pad goes where, wear tabs):

IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg

FOR EBC YELLOW STUFFS (maybe others as well I don't know):

Open box remove pads find 4 pads, two have no wear tabs two do. The wear tabbed pads go on the outsides (away from truck) with the silver tab towards the back and on bottom. Install flex plate included and use a very very light dabbing of the supplied antiseize brake slide stuff:

IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0338.jpg

Note direction of pad vs tab and install respectively. It may be required to slide both pins in through the first pad, install top plate, push down on top plate and work pins in on top of spring loop, then through to other pad, push down on top plate and up on the outside pad whilst sliding pin through. Then finish with retention clips.

Once trucks on the ground and both side have been done PLEASE ENSURE TO PUMP BRAKES WITH TRUCK RUNNING BEFORE MOVING!!!

Do not massively brake on new pads, they must bed in, drive around with a greater following distance for the first 50+ or so miles at least.

I have 32" tires and noticed that the brakes were lacking. Changed to the EBC yellow stuffs and noticed an amazing difference! Great bite and brake force!

Purchased off autoanything for less than $125 shipped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0314.jpg (235.1 KB, 75 views)
lqdchkn likes this.

Built list: Bak revolver x2, premium Line-X, rigid b/up lights cut & mounted in bumper, kn insert air fltr, zroadz fog plate w/rigid spots & floods, d-max tuner, matte blk badges and custom diesel badges, bilstien 5100 RHA 2" lift with rear 1" gm lift blks, 275/65-18 TA ko2, 2" wheel spacers (big rub @ full steer, w/o spacers), pedal cmdr

Last edited by SigArms; 05-18-2017 at 02:55 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:59 PM

Garage
Pretty much like my 1971 corvette brake pads. Guess GM went old school with this design.
SigArms likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the write up

How many miles did you have on the OEM pads?

Hows the fade on the Yellow Stuff? OEM pads are kinda poopy when they get warm
SigArms likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Thanks for the write up

How many miles did you have on the OEM pads?

Hows the fade on the Yellow Stuff? OEM pads are kinda poopy when they get warm
I had 14k on the stock pads, plenty of pad left. The yellows have noooooo fade (in normal/sporty use) and amazing bite.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:51 PM

Might note EBC pads Bed in differently than other pads. They have a coating that beds them in. They include instructions just follow them and you will have good performance.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 AM

Garage
Was the scratch pad for the pin cleaning?

Also, did you install those bumper flush mount Rigid backup lights with a gasket? I have some Lifetime LED lights to do the same thing, and they didn't come with a gasket.
SigArms likes this.

vi et armis invictus maneo..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 AM

Garage
@SigArms, I will really need your feedback in 8-9 months on the YellowStuff.

I loved them on my sports cars, but I have had some bad luck with them on the Jeep Wrangler. I have gone through 2 sets of pads and rotors in the last year. The bite is great, but the rotors after 6months looked like an LP with the amount of grooves. And the pads were worn down to wafers in 6months.

I am pretty leery going back to EBC YellowStuff for heavy duty use vs. racing use. Cant wait to see how your rotors fair.

Thanks for the update.
lqdchkn and SigArms like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 AM

Red is about all most would ever need for the street.

Now if you do a lot of towing or are just really hard on brakes the yellow may be needed.

Red need less heat to be as effective the yellow just take a little more.

If you are not hard on brakes the Green will work.

They all are good pads but you need to match what you needs are. More is not always better but the correct pad is what is right.

All I use anymore are EBC or Hawk.

I got to spend time with the head of both companies and have a friend at one of them. These people not only make the brakes but use them in serious racing. They know their stuff well. They may cost a little more but in pads you get what you pay for.

As for the brake system on our trucks I think we may see acceptional performance. The rotors are great and th
SigArms likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabbs View Post
@SigArms, I will really need your feedback in 8-9 months on the YellowStuff.

I loved them on my sports cars, but I have had some bad luck with them on the Jeep Wrangler. I have gone through 2 sets of pads and rotors in the last year. The bite is great, but the rotors after 6months looked like an LP with the amount of grooves. And the pads were worn down to wafers in 6 months.

I am pretty leery going back to EBC YellowStuff for heavy duty use vs. racing use. Cant wait to see how your rotors fair.

Thanks for the update.
the 2007-2009 Wranglers had some issues with OEM rear pads. May have continued on after 2009, but I am not sure. I replaced rear pads at less than 30K with some basic pads from O-Reilly or Autozone, forget which. Lifetime warranty so I wouldn't have to pay for new pads every 30K, the relatively inexpensive replacements lasted over 100K. Almost makes me wonder if Jeep did some sort of software update on their version of Stability Control to reduce the brake wear, but didn't tell the owners when they did it.

Back to our trucks, wow, this looks very easy to replace pads. Don't even have to pull the caliper off. Encourages not checking the rotor carefully, but nice. Hardly get your hands dirty. GM must have done that for their techs who didn't want to get their keyboards dirty.

Sure beats dealing with all of the springs and hardware associated with drum brakes. (Take that, Toyota, still running drum brakes on the rear axle for Tacos.)

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
All I use anymore are EBC or Hawk.

I got to spend time with the head of both companies and have a friend at one of them. These people not only make the brakes but use them in serious racing. They know their stuff well. They may cost a little more but in pads you get what you pay for.

As for the brake system on our trucks I think we may see acceptional performance. The rotors are great and th
I like Hawk too. When I was looking for part numbers for brake parts, cause I know they'll be needed eventually... I didn't see Hawk had anything for our trucks. I was hoping to get the HPS.. have you looked recently? Does Hawk have anything now?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:19 PM

Awesome write up! Mine have been squeaking the past couple of weeks so I'll be doing them soon.

I thought about going with those autozone GT brake pads... A lot of guys on my old forum said they were comparable to Hawk brakes. Anyone have a chance to use them?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
I like Hawk too. When I was looking for part numbers for brake parts, cause I know they'll be needed eventually... I didn't see Hawk had anything for our trucks. I was hoping to get the HPS.. have you looked recently? Does Hawk have anything now?
I have not looked up Hawk yet. I normally use EBC unless we are out if stock then I go to Hawk. I am good with either.

It may be a little bit before we see them as they will not sell much yet since I exoect these brakes to last a good while.

I think we may see 60k or more from these pads. The rotors are better and this truck uses the same electronic proportioning system my GTP Comp G used. I saw almost 70k miles on a car that was driven hard. Note too the front and rear pads wore dead even.
lqdchkn likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbear View Post
Was the scratch pad for the pin cleaning?

Also, did you install those bumper flush mount Rigid backup lights with a gasket? I have some Lifetime LED lights to do the same thing, and they didn't come with a gasket.
Yeah the 3m pad was used for cleaning. And yeah, I used the gasket that came with the rigids.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode