Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Capless fuel fill on 2017s

46K views 101 replies 50 participants last post by  stchman 
#1 ·
I ordered a 2017 Canyon, and wonder if anyone who already has a new 2017 twin has any thoughts on this new feature. . . Had any problems ?

#3 ·
Word, that's kinda lame.

That sucker is going to collect a ton up dust offroad :serious:

Might need to carry a can of canned air to clean it out before filling lol >:)

#4 ·
Doesn't the Raptor have it too?

#5 ·
The Malibu has it.

#6 ·
With no locking fuel door, it makes it extra convenient for some clown to quickly slip something in your tank without getting caught.

#7 ·
I thought all Ford vehicles have this feature. I think but its not scientific but when fueling up its super, extra sensitive and pops the pump off early and if you are in a state like mine where thank goodness we don't pump our own gas but your tank is always short a gallon or two. I pump diesel in the trucks at work everyday, the last thing I want to do is pump the gas into my personal truck. One of the few things NJ has right.

#8 ·
My wife's 2012 Ford Taurus has this feature, it's not sensitive when filling up, my truck has it's moments especially when closer to empty. As for dirt, I haven't had any issues, there is a seal around where the door closes and it keeps dirt and debris out. Also, you cannot stick a hose down into the opening since the way it is designed it takes the nozzle to push down and into the filler neck for fuel to flow into it. You have to use one of the special funnels to insert down into the filler neck to put any fuel additives/cleaners into the tank. I take the time every spring and fall to spray some WD-40 into the unit and use the special funnel to work in and out several times to keep everything working well since there have been those who have troubles of it not sealing up when you are filling the tank and just like a loose gas cap, it will throw a code, so it is important to keep that system lubed and cleaned, no big deal really just a couple of minutes to do. I personally would rather have the cap. We've owned the car since new and there has been problems.

#11 ·
Also, you cannot stick a hose down into the opening since the way it is designed it takes the nozzle to push down and into the filler neck for fuel to flow into it. You have to use one of the special funnels to insert down into the filler neck to put any fuel additives/cleaners into the tank.
So then couldn't one stick the fancy funnel in and then run a slightly smaller diameter hose down through that to siphon fuel? :wink2:

#12 ·
Had this on loaner Sierra when I did the HVAC recall. One thing I noticed was that if you pull nozzle out quickly, droplets of fuel were thrown into air as the flapper popped close.

#21 ·
Our Camaro has it and I actually didn't think I would care for it at first but it is a nice feature. I wonder if we can add this to the 16's??

Reactions: bill.robles
#41 ·
xyz here with the ford delivery van... :roll: I'm actually a contractor and the Transit sees more than its fair share of work sites. Just sharing my experiences with the capless filling system. It may be different with the Chevys (I don't know, I have a '16) but from my experience I've had no issues with dust buildup in or around the opening. But dude, what's with all the vitriol in your post, we're just posting what we've encountered.

#28 ·
Think of it this way: If your gas cap fails, you go down to the parts store, maybe it is a dealer only part, buy a new gas cap, and away you go.

If this thing fails, replacing it probably takes a computer to reprogram the spring tension and 2 hours labor to access the filler tube, plus 14 pages of EPA reports to fill out.

Reactions: NotCool88
#29 ·
Hope GM's capless system works better than our 15' 2500 RAM does going back to the dealer for it's second fix this week. Have to use a long funnel to get any fuel in it right now.

Stopped to put fuel in my Colorado today and the gas cap was about as white with road salt as the sides on the truck. So I hope they have come up with a better way of sealing the fuel door. Me personally I'll take the good ole fashioned screw on cap.

#33 · (Edited)
One good thing I could see from not pumping own fuel..and unfortunately I see it all the damn time. You get out and your waiting on fill up, some jack ass pulls to pump behind, in front, or beside you and gets out of his car/truck with a &#%÷&^! cigarette either in mouth or in hand and it is #!$@^#^ lit. Maybe they didn't pay attention in science class or maybe they didn't listen to what everyone says or maybe they can't see the 20 signs around the gas pumps that say NO SMOKING! But I assure you they aren't there bc smoking causes cancer they are there bc smoking will blow the €÷_÷€=% pumps up. One thing is for sure..the ones who do it are indeed the poster children for birth control.

heath

#35 ·
Heath,

Why don't you tell us what you really think about smoking at the gas station?

In reality, I see them closing their windows on that cold morning while the attendant pumps gas, smoking their cigarette in the warm car interior. Fumes leak into the cabin, and Kaboom, you get a nice explosion.

Government intervention for "our own good" has resulted in Darwin's model of evolution being skewed to allow survival of members of our species that would otherwise not make it.

does anyone have a pic of what this system looks like. is it the same as they aftermarket ones I've seen just a screw on cap with a spring loaded hole with a flap?
No, the one on the Sierra was all interior to the down hose of the fuel line. Didn't look like any external parts at all.

OK, I hear all of the dust complaints. I am a little surprised, here in Texas I don't see a lot of dust in that area of my truck. But I can see the concern. The diesel guys may get my suggestion better on this one than the gasoline guys.

Most of the service stations I use have got paper towels over there with their windshield cleaning supplies. You also want to avoid getting fuel, especially diesel on your hands as you fill the tank. Take one of those paper towels and stuff it into space as you close the fuel door. This will block a lot of the dust as you go down the road, just toss it and get a clean one at each fillup.

I know the next concern is going to be someone putting a match to the paper towel and creating a 21 gallon Molotov cocktail...No wonder half of you guys where a tin foil cap with all of the conspiracies around.

#37 ·
I wish they would blow them selves sky high and leave the ones who have atleast 1/2 common sense here. I mean seriously I look at some of these people and think out of 100,000 sperm, you were the fastest one...wtf?! But back to the subject at hand I just wanted to throw my 2 pennies in I don't think I would want a fuel neck w/o a cap on it. I am just use to having a cap maybe they thought by doing this they could solve the problem of.people leaving gas caps all over the highway and gas stations. I think there is a missing gas cap website isn't there...lmao

heath

#39 ·
Can only imagine when some crazy marketing person went to engineering and said, "We want a new feature on our fuel systems. Our customers are complaining about having to touch that nasty gas cap (or diesel cap). Figure out a way to meet EPA requirements for a sealed fuel system but eliminate that nasty screw on fuel cap."

Engineers responded with " you want us to abandon a design that pre-dates Henry Ford?"

In reality, I bet the real issue is that the manufacturers looked at the number one nuisance service item for all manufacturers is a Check Engine Light because owner improperly tightened the gas cap and engineering was told to eliminate the source of the problem.

Reactions: Midnight Rider
#45 ·
Seems the :censored: thieves don't care how much damage they cause, as long as they get what they want....

#49 ·
Why can't gm just install locking fuel doors. I have one on my 09 Astra. Locks and unlocks with the door no worry of people stealing my gas. They can't even fit a drill under my car to get to my gas tank ? but it would be nice to see a rubber seal around the gas door to keep salt/mud/dust out.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

#50 ·
As pointed out already, the capless fuel filler has been standard on Ford vehicles for several years now. The tank is still sealed and when you push the fuel nozzle into the opening it pushes open the seal. It will not contribute to any additional sediment getting into your tank any more than a standard capped fuel tank. When you are done fueling just be sure to count to 10 before removing the nozzle. This will prevent dripping fuel from getting on your paint or in the fuel door opening area.

#51 ·
I've had the capless filler on my Corvette for two years with no issue. The lid locks with the car, but it sure wouldn't take much effort to open it if you really wanted in.
A locked fuel lid on a truck wouldn't stop me either if I want the fuel inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.