Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate review! - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate review!

Hi folks: I got my Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Classic Offset (https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate/) a few weeks ago but only picked up my full size spare last week; here's the promised review:

First, Wilco Offroad have been really good to work with; they responded to my queries within the day and sent pictures and comments. Erik Williams, the tall guy in the Wilco Offroad videos has been by primary contact. I ordered the Hitchgate through 4Wheel Parts; it cost CAN$1095.98; I also got a license plate relocation kit for CAN$123.99, totaling CAN$1422.37 including taxes.

The thing arrived in two big boxes and one little one (license plate kit)! The bigger parts were wrapped in plastic, placed in the box and then foam was sprayed into the box on each side to lock the parts in place and protect them. The welding is excellent and powder coating looks really good.

The instructions are a little vague but it's really obvious how to set the thing up. The main frame attaches to the truck using the hitch; it has a wedge/bolt assembly that locks the thing in place when tightened BUT when tightening, the wedge pulls the square section tube in towards the truck a little and up hard against the top of the truck's receiver. In my case, I had to start with the tube pulled out just a little, deliberately misaligning the tube with the locking pin holes so that when the wedge bolt was torqued to 75ft/lbs the pin holes were aligned - horizontally! Problem was that the upward shift mislaligned the holes vertically so a little, patient hand filing was necessary to get my locking pin in place. Of note, the locking hitch pin is not included in the delivery.

The swing arm simply bolts to the main frame and locks using a small push pin. Attaching the license plate relocation kit was easy; again the wiring instructions were a little vague but it's really simple. The kit contains one of those wire-tapping thingies so I tapped into my right side license plate lamp wire; it just required cutting about two cm of wire protection away from the lamp plug. Taking a license plate off our trucks leaves a big hole so I made a close-out panel using an old license plate cover and a piece of mouse pad. In the future this will likely be my on-board air connection point.

Putting on a wheel requires setting the top stud location first. I used my old spare as I was waiting for my new wheel to arrive. The kit comes with the adjustable top stud, three bolts, three washers and four acorn lug nuts. Just jiggle the wheel around a little so that all four studs are straight and tight then tighten the top adjustable stud's two side bolts to lock it in place. The kit comes with a plastic covered safety cable and oval screw carabiner.

The camera works! Remember, I got the offset Hitchgate so the wheel is displaced to the left. I can still see below the wheel and "around" the wheel to judge my stopping distance. The picture shows me stopping with the second white line in alignment with the base of my garage door; this gives me full swing room for the spare plus about 18".

I don't feel the thing at all when driving; it's made no difference to handling; I'm just about 2' longer than before.

I almost forgot; the 20” Fuel Vector rim and Toyo 305/55/20 tire set me back about CAN$1100. I should note this is all no-choice spending for me as the OEM spare was useless (too small, would not fit the front due to my 5.5” BDS lift). I also wanted the bed free of wheels to make room for other stuff. I read lots of memos about lifts but very little about full-size spares to accompany these lifts; an absolute necessity if going off-road which is my intention.

Pictures tell more than words:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg close-out panel.jpg (135.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset top bolt detail.jpg (128.8 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset side.jpg (176.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset rear left.jpg (184.3 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset camera.jpg (95.8 KB, 189 views)
Rememo, lqdchkn, Krystof and 1 others like this.

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate
ARE CX HD cap and HD cross bars
Rhino Rack Pioneer platform (49" x 76")

Last edited by mhr900ss; 06-05-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the review this was something I had considered but sorta wrote off because I didn't wanna be the guinea pig.

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 PM

Garage
I plan on getting a Solo soon, it looks great! Can we get more full shots of your truck?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 PM
ADMIN

Garage
I've moved your thread to the review section and deleted the other redirect thread you created.
lqdchkn likes this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Blue15ColoradoLT: The description of this section is is for truck reviews not truck accessory/equipment reviews; the canopy and off-road mod equipment discussions are all on other forum subsections. If I'd posted here first, no one would notice.

BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 PM
ADMIN

Garage
fixed
lqdchkn likes this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue01 View Post
I plan on getting a Solo soon, it looks great! Can we get more full shots of your truck?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'd order it sooner rather than later. They have been out of stock and the refill order comes in soon. I think in another week
Rogue01 likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Can you post some pics of the truck from the rear? I'm curious to see how the offset looks on our trucks. Thanks!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mark and Rogue01: a link to my gallery: Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon - mhr900ss's Album: Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 overland project

I'll see if I have a direct from behind shot and post it. Looks good in my opinion and allows the camera to work pretty well.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Garage
Thanks so much for the write up. I'm definitely going to purchase the Classic because I'm getting tired of removing my fullsize spare from the bed when I need to transport something. My question is if I was to purchase the Center Mount option, I'm assuming the backup camera would be useless, therefor I would have to go with the Offset Mounting option?

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:16 PM

Garage
Also have another question. Excuse my photo editing skills..lol
Are the 2 posts (circled) threaded by chance? I'm hoping it is so I can install my HiLift jack in that location.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduran1 View Post
Also have another question. Excuse my photo editing skills..lol
Are the 2 posts (circled) threaded by chance? I'm hoping it is so I can install my HiLift jack in that location.

They make a high lift jack and rotopax mount for the hitchgate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Correct; you can mount a HiLift vertically or laterally; the lateral position already has two extended tubes, the vertical position has two holes that are much harder to see in the picture.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr900ss View Post
Correct; you can mount a HiLift vertically or laterally; the lateral position already has two extended tubes, the vertical position has two holes that are much harder to see in the picture.
Thanks so much for the info. Greatly appreciate it.
I'm definitely going to purchase one very soon but I'm torn between the center or offset mount.
Do you think if you've chosen the center mount that it would clear the tailgate when it's fully swung open if there is a hilift jack installed? I hope that makes sense.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

gmduran1: I know exactly what you mean. I guess the answer depends on the length of your Hi-lift Jack. If you mount vertically, it's not an issue and your camera view will be unobstructed. If you have a 48" jack and mount it horizontally, almost all the way to the left on an offset carrier then it will clear the tailgate (I just measured). A 60" jack will be too long.

see this: http://www.8lugtruckgear.com/Wilco-O...Kit-p1853.html

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr900ss View Post
gmduran1: I know exactly what you mean. I guess the answer depends on the length of your Hi-lift Jack. If you mount vertically, it's not an issue and your camera view will be unobstructed. If you have a 48" jack and mount it horizontally, almost all the way to the left on an offset carrier then it will clear the tailgate (I just measured). A 60" jack will be too long.

see this: Wilco Offroad Hitchgate? Hi-Lift Jack Mount Kit
I have a 54" HiLift jack and would like to preferably install it horizontally using the LowRise Mount (damn that thing cost $82 for a simple mount).

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Garage
I'm now looking a different options from Wilco. I really like the Solo High Clearance hitch as well. A couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Classic.
Decisions Decisions

Last edited by gmduran1; 06-21-2017 at 09:40 AM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Garage
OP: Why would you do this to me?? (Translation... I like it, but can't justify the money for it.)

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduran1 View Post
I'm now looking a different options from Wilco. I really like the Solo High Clearance hitch as well. A couple hundred dollars cheaper that the Classic.
Decisions Decisions

Mine should be here Friday according to UPS. I will post photos of that helps. I couldn't decide either, but after talking to the guy at Wilco, I went with the solo high clearance
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaysandBirds View Post
Mine should be here Friday according to UPS. I will post photos of that helps. I couldn't decide either, but after talking to the guy at Wilco, I went with the solo high clearance
Fantastic. Can't wait to see pics. What size spare tire are you running?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode