Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

New colorado and the frustrating infotainment system

14K views 73 replies 25 participants last post by  The Tin Man 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!! New guy here and also new to Chevy's as well. I've always had Fords, but I really love the lines on this truck!!

Anyways.....One thing I have noticed is that GM can't seem to streamline their infotainment systems. I have the 3 months of XM which includes the travel link stuff for weather and traffic. It is nowhere on my system. It says it is capable, but damn if I can find it. No weather app...NOTHING!!!

I also think the turn-by-turn onstar nav is garbage!! I don't have the hardwired navigation and am left with my maps app through carplay to have a sense of a mapped navigation system. But if you look up the system in the manual or anything online it says I'm suppose to have the hardwired navigation. Can someone please explain this to me....because it makes ZERO sense.

Other than these little things I'm really enjoying the truck so far....has a bit a hill problem, but I'm getting use to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I was going to say the Bose and Navigation are together if you have the Bose system you should have the Nav as well I looked at trucks for a month and couldn't find one with just one or the other. Unless you had it built I am not sure then as I didn't maybe someone will correct me on that one but they should be a package deal the Bose/Nav for around $995 if I remember correctly. You can get traffic and weather on your Radio its on the last page of the icons list :) I took a few pics will try to load them up for the Weather and Traffic on the radio so you can see them.

Mike

#5 ·
Sounds like you don't actually have factory NAV
And as others stated, there isn't an actual weather or traffic app, try the xm channels. I prefer using AA or Carplay anyway for maps and music. So for that I'm very glad GM included that capability. Still quite a few cars that you can't get it on.

And as far as the infotainment system goes, I actually think it's one of the better ones out there and pretty easy to use. Compared to Fords SYNC crap, it's no contest.

Anyway, goodluck and enjoy the truck.

#13 ·
....I prefer using AA or Carplay anyway for maps and music. So for that I'm very glad GM included that capability. Still quite a few cars that you can't get it on.

And as far as the infotainment system goes, I actually think it's one of the better ones out there and pretty easy to use. Compared to Fords SYNC crap, it's no contest.

With Carplay I can stream Pandora (and some other stuff?) from my LG Andoid phone, right? I have no interest in getting Sirius/XM to have weather, traffic or "commercial free" music.....I can get the music from Pandora and the other I would only use rarely (Weather Underground, Waze, etc). I believe I cannot get google maps, waze, weather, etc to DISPLAY on the MyLink screen, correct?

#7 ·
I will have to say though if you have the plug and play its pretty nice I ALMOST didn't go with the factory nav because of the price and adding the Bose system. If you have not fully tried it the cool thing is that it will use Google so you can use the buttons on your phone to ask it questions and such. I was test driving a Canyon and tried it out and its pretty neat. you can push the phone button and ask it questions like you would your phone while driving. Hope you get it squared away or any of this helps out. I know how it is it took me 2 months for find a truck and now 3 weeks to figure out a lift or level kit seeing all the great trucks and ideas. I picked up a 2017 finally just like yours I have my Z71 badges coming in few weeks like you have on the side and I can get that front grille for $225 off eBay I might get the painted on it looks great and nice truck you have. I since got the windows tinted and few other little things.

Attachments

#8 ·
What does your window sticker say?

on my truck, weather is an option on the "home screen" of the radio.

Right now I don't have a sub so when I click the weather icon I get a message to subscribe.

nav traffic was visible only on my navigation map, but I have standalone navigation.

Reactions: White016
#16 · (Edited)
Ok. . this isn't a big thing, but when I picked up my 2017 Colorado LT on February 22nd, 2017 my sales guy went through the Infotainment features, set up Onstar, paired phone, etc. During that time, he accessed the "Weather" somehow and I would swear there was a Weather Icon on my Home screen. Now all I have is 8 Icons and nothing on the second page and no Weather Icon. I am still under the 3 month XM and 6 month Onstar trial.
I tried to see how to add more Icons to the screen but do not see where to do that and see if there are Icons I can add.

My truck does not have Navigation but I swear there was a Weather Icon when he showed me all the features.

#72 ·
I think you saw the weather app from your phone on the screen?? not sure though. Mine will show my phone screen on the trucks screen (iPhone) IIRC. It's been while, I don't use it, don't like the phone taking over the truck...

#17 ·
My truck has Bose and NAV, but I prefer just cabling my phone in and using that. The whole Carplay thing is really cool. Will let the XM and Onstar trials run out, don't need another monthly payment.

The system is very nice though, big, sharp and colorful screen with very fast response, and the Bose sounds quite good with minimal tweaking of the tone controls. The system has more capabilities than I need really, very pleased with it. Would get without the NAV, if possible if custom ordering, but my truck was bought off the lot and had it.

#18 ·
I have a new 2017 Z71 with 8" Bose no Nav. I added the "Weather Channel" app from the on screen App Store. There were only 2 apps in there, I forget the other one. I contacted Chevy customer service and asked why only 2 apps in their store, they said it varies by vehicle :-(

#21 ·
Ok. . . pardon my lack of app store access knowledge. How exactly do I asscess the app store using the truck MyLink? What menu and sub menu do I go to?
I can do this stuff in my wife;s Equinox, but puzzled by this new MyLink in the truck. In fact, wondering if there was an update and now mine is screwed up.

#23 · (Edited)
That's the problem. . . there are no more icons on the second screen. No weather. . . and it was there when I picked the truck up. So,you are using the Weather Channel app which needs 4G LTE data to continue to work, right? I won't be using the 4G LTE since I will have Onstar and XM/Sirus subscriptions and my phone data is so much cheaper than even the truck 4g LTE . . . except for the current promo Unlimited data they are offering.

See my first post below:
Now all I have is 8 Icons and nothing on the second page and no Weather Icon. I am still under the 3 month XM and 6 month Onstar trial.
I tried to see how to add more Icons to the screen but do not see where to do that and see if there are Icons I can add.

#29 ·
Sorry, didn't read all posts here... My icon is different, I think it's the blue "weather channel" icon. I do not plan to use it once my free OnStar data runs out. I have Android auto working but they don't have a weather radar yet. Hopefully they add it and wireless android auto capability so I don't have to use USB cable (I really like wireless charging and my phone case has a cover over the USB)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#30 · (Edited)
Yes. . that is the Weather Channel app you got and need 4G LTE data to use.

The "stock" Weather app and Icon is like what I showed in the picture I attached. Was there... . . now it is gone.

I asked about it when my sales guy was going through the MyLink features and I noticed it was different than on our 2015 Equinox which uses the XM Radio TraveLink weather/gas prices/movie times app. Sales guy said that will be "going away" and the new MyLink system will use it's own Weather app which is handled by Onstar. I have Onstar activated, and the Weather app WAS there .. . now is gone.

That seems to be the trouble with all this tech. When it comes out, they decide they are doing things one way. Then, a year or two later, they decide something else. My guess is that XM Radio was stepping on the toes of OnStar with these extra data using adds on like Weather, Gas prices, and Movie Times. So now, they want it go another way.
And. .. what happens in a year or two when we probably won;t get anymore updates to our "old" MyLink system? lol

#31 ·
I did some google'ing wondering if the radio can be rebooted; sounds like there may be a reboot option in menu somewhere but I don't remember seeing it in my truck when I was going through all the settings. Or, disconnect battery and force it to reboot? Also I came across this thread... How to reset Mylink cache? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com which lists a Chevy infotainment support phone number...

Infotainment Customer Support Group:
1 (855) 478-7767
Daily; 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (EST)

#32 ·
Ok...just went out to check out my truck. That weather icon is for SiriusXM weather. You get a free trial subscription to use it, but when that runs out it does not work. It still shows on my screen but if I touch it is says my SXM travel link subscription as expired and to contact a number to get it back. The weather channel ICON I also have but my data has expired so I can no longer use it either. Not really sure why yours just disappeared. If you should still be on your free trial I would call GM about how to get it back. If you are not under free trial then it may just drop off now when it cannot be used...but mine did not.

#33 ·
Ok. . thanks! Yes, I am still under the free trial. Either way, form what you say, the icon should still be there and tel me I need a subscription.

#36 ·
You have to download the weather app through the APP store icon on the infotainment screen.

And yes the onstar turn by turn navigation is not ideal. But I have used it in a pinch and it's ok.

Just because your ownesr manual talks about in-dash navigation systems, it doesn't mean your vehicle is equipped with it. The manual is a generic copy to cover ALL accessories and options regardless of the vehicle trim.

Let me just tell you from experience that the in-dash NAV's are not as good as google maps or apple maps. So you are honestly better off using those anyways.

Check your vehicle sticker to see if you have the actual in-dash navigation option. If it says it under "installed options" then you need to have your dealer program it into your vehicle.

#45 · (Edited)
You have to download the weather app through the APP store icon on the infotainment screen.
I disagree. . . there was/is TWO weather icons on the MyLink. One, is a built in app on the home screen with it's OWN icon. I posted this in my earlier comment and question. The other is the Weather Channel app that you do have to download from the app "Shop Store" and has the distinctive "Weather Channel" logo.

See the picture below for the built in Weather Icon . It IS totally different than the Weather Channel which is dependent on and uses your 4G LTE data. The built in weather app uses OnStar for weather info. I do not want to have to pay for both.
And, yes, I know I can use my Android phone for weather, but we find it easy and fast to check the weather like on wife's Chevy Equinox which also posts local gas prices and movie time as you drive through different areas.

Picture below of Built in Weather app that WAS on the screen when I picked my truck up! That Weather Icon disappeared and it not even on the "2nd" page of app icon for the MyLink screen.

#44 · (Edited)
".. Both will "pair" with the truck's system without a cable via Bluetooth to play music and stream turn by turn instructions...."

I assume either phone pairs with the truck also? So you don't need to plug in the phone to answer and make phone calls? If I had to plug in the phone each time to use it (through the truck, the only way I'd use it for phone calls), I'd probably never bother to connect it. Charging it is one thing, but remembering to plug in that USB cable just on the chance I'd need to make/receive a call would rarely be remembered!

#52 · (Edited)
Yes, you do not need to connect the USB cable. The system handles phone calls, music streaming and NAV over the Bluetooth connection. A trick I use to get the NAV to go through the speakers is to stream music off the phone as you drive. If you don't want to listen to music, just pause it and the turn by turn NAV keeps going through the vehicle's speakers.

The thing connecting the USB cable gets you is the ability to "cast" your phone's screen onto the big Mylink screen, which is very nice. I do use NAV a lot for work, and that feature is great. Connecting the phone also keeps it fully charged - using NAV draws pretty good on the battery. If your phone supports it, there is a wireless charging pad below the Mylink in my Bose equipped SLT truck. Not sure of that pad comes in other trims. Rest your compatible phone on the pad and the truck will charge it for you, no cables needed.

Sounds like you are getting a nice truck!

#50 ·
Thanks for all the info !! My free trial ends in May. I have a Question about the in truck infotainment center. Can anyone tell me how to connect a Bluetooth speaker to the infotainment center ?
Thanks
Not sure that will work, as the system itself is a receiver, not capable of broadcasting a BT signal.

Reactions: dave66rivi
#53 ·
You're using an Android phone, right? Sure like to hear how you're using it with the InfoTainment system. For instance, Google Maps, Radar Now, Waze, regular old phone calls? I don't have a vehicle yet with the Infotainment system, but hope to later this year. Just curious how it all works with a phone.

#55 · (Edited)
Ya, any USB cable that fits your phone will charge it and probably link it to your MyLink screen from any USB port in the truck.

I like to rest my phone in the little tray front of the armrest and use the USB port in the armrest cubby, as the cable is tucked away nicely in there. The truck has 4 usb ports in it, two of them serving the back seat. The kids have gotta stay connected you know :laugh:

#59 ·
...... The kids have gotta stay connected you know :laugh:
Well, we have just one, but our "kid" is closer to 50 than 40, and she stays connected only when she needs something from us! <g>

Thanks for that info on the USB ports. I'm liking what I hear about the GM Twins.

#57 ·
The phones will pair via bluetooth just like they would with any other radio. If you want Apple Play (don't know about Android) you have to use a cable. What you get with Apple play is to have the screen look like your iPhone's...and you get access to some--not all--of the apps stored on your phone.

#60 ·
I find amusing thr OP made only 2 posts on thr entire thread. Takes very little to rattle the cage on this forum...

My 2 pennies....

Ford MS Sync is garbage. Go figure, anything made by MS is garbage, and that is one reasons that keep me away from buying a Ford. Rented a Focus one time for about 2 weeks; the car was ok, the infotaiment was annoyingly intrusive and will not shut the hell up !

#68 ·
I'm still here!!!

Haha...yeah, I've found out so much about this system over the last couple months and I kind wish I did some research because they have too many miss match features on this infotainment system. Like my trial/service through SirusXM includes weather, traffic and says my vehicle supports it, but in reality it doesn't.

I still haven't found a way to update or even find out if an update is available for my system. I DO NOT have the app store icon.

My wife has a 2014 Flex and I actually enjoy her Sync system. At least it lets you update it and ease of operation is miles ahead of this system. IMO.

I do like carplay with my iphone. So I can still get a navigation on the screen like I thought I was getting.....

#70 ·
I'm still here!!!
I still haven't found a way to update or even find out if an update is available for my system. I DO NOT have the app store icon.

The system seems to have updated itself on my 2017 Colorado LT since it had a generic weather Icon when I picked it up and now it is gone. I do have the app Store Icon. You may have to swipe to second Home Screen page to find it. OR perhaps it got deleted somehow. They can be edited.

#71 ·
The system seems to have updated itself on my 2017 Colorado LT since it had a generic weather Icon when I picked it up and now it is gone. I do have the app Store Icon. You may have to swipe to second Home Screen page to find it. OR perhaps it got deleted somehow. They can be edited.
Mine has one screen and one screen only! That is what confuses me because everyone else seems to have one thing or another. No consistency.

What I did find on updating the system was open source software and some hacker way to update it.

#61 ·
What I find interesting and frustrating is the MyLink is different depending on what year and what vehicle you purchase. Features may or may not be there even during the same model year or as little as a year apart.

My daughter has a 2014 Chevy Sonic and her MyLink has a friendlier interface and more features than my 2017 Colorado LT with the 8" screen. So does a 2017 Chevy Equinox. Example. . . why does the blasted screen come up on the "Home" screen in my Colorado with all the icons rather than stay on the last screen I selected? Oh, wait, it does. . . but only if I was playing something off a USB drive, but not on normal radio or even XM/Sirius.

Than there is the previous "disappearing" weather app. Now if seems, if you want an on screen weather check you have to download the Weather Channel and, Oh, pay for data over the 4G LTE in the truck to use it. When I picked the truck up there was a built in generic weather app that some say they still have the icon for, but mine went missing.

Yes, we know there will be "improvements" for MyLink from year to year or maybe even vehicle to vehicle, but I would value some consistency of operation and features over frustrating operation. Otherwise why not call it "PotLuck Link" . . . . . you take what you get.:grin2:

#63 ·
So I just noticed, my truck doesn't have the native weather app like OP is looking for either. I only have the Weather Channel one that I downloaded from the App Store.

Not a big deal for me, just adding to the thread.

#64 · (Edited)
Thanks.. . I think there must have been an update. My sales guy mentioned something about the native weather app "going away" soon. Must have been an update. It is just annoying with all this first it's there and then it isn't. I have two phone weather apps anyway. But we really like the Weather-Gas Prices-Movie Times on our Equinox for quick checks and not having to fiddle with a phone.

One more thing regarding MyLink always going to the Home screen when entering and starting the truck. If I have a USB drive I was playing, it seems to go to that screen upon starting. If i had it in FM or XM Radio, it may got to that Audio screen, but mostly comes up at the Home Screen with the last station playing.

However, for some reason, if I use remote start, it will always come up with the radio screen if that was last playing. At least it seems that way so far. Maybe others can try it and see if it does the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.