Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon - View Single Post - Fire Extinguisher Install
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:09 PM
RandyNC

OK, after seeing @CheezyRiderAK's install, it kicked me into gear to make some progress. The wife bought me a FirstAlert 5-B:C unit for Christmas. It wasn't doing me much good hanging out in the closet! It actually does fit in the door pocket like @CheezyRiderAK did for his unit, but I was a little worried about leaving it there with kids getting in and out of the truck.

So, for now I have beneath that small rear seat pocket on the driver's side. It's still in the mfg mounting bracket but it's not 'mounted' to any hard surface. I usually kept a small umbrella in this space and they both seem to fit reasonably well, but I'd prefer having the mounting bracket screwed to a surface if possible. I've attached a few pics. Note the pic of just the compartment with the two small red circles. Does anyone have any idea what is beneath this surface and whether I could run some (short!) sheet metal screws into this area? This would anchor it into the position that I currently have it sitting (see last photo).

Alternately, I am thinking about screwing it to the plastic part of the seat support (see photo of me supporting it w/ my hand in what would be the final mounted location). I have confirmed that this won't interfere with the seat closing, and maybe this leaves a little bit more room in the tray area. It's not significantly different than just laying it on the floor though.

The last photo shows how it is set up TODAY. Nothing holding it in place, but it doesn't slide around at all, particularly when I have my umbrella beside it. I also considered just putting some velcro hook on the back of the mounting bracket and using that to better affix it to the existing carpet area.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DrillLocation.jpg (94.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ProposedMount.jpg (250.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg CurrentMount.jpg (254.3 KB, 51 views)

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink

Last edited by RandyNC; 04-23-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Clarify post.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome