2005 Colorodo won't drop into 4WD - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2005 Colorodo won't drop into 4WD

Have a 2005 Colorado, absolutely nuts about my truck. We had some snow the other day, and I tried to drop my car into 4wd for the first time in a while (few months). No matter what I tried, the light always just blinked, and it never dropped down.

I had a flat the other day, and my tires are nearing the end of their run (<5k miles left on them). I know having the balance off can cause the car not to drop down, and I'm thinking that is whats happening here.

I had an older blazer that this used to happen to all the time. I had a buddy who worked at a shop, and every time it happened, all we had to do was put it on the lift so all the tires were off the ground, drop it in 4wd, and it would drop right down, and be fine.

Any advice on the quickest & easiest way to get this resolved? Am I silly to think that if I just play w/ my tire pressure enough, it's going to fix itself? My normal shop is booked solid tomorrow (go there for all my service), and I'm driving over the mountains on Saturday.... think I can just find a local shop and ask them to hoist it up?
riellysc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check your book first if you haven't. There are
other conditions I believe which may cause it and the light to blink but not engage the four wheel drive.

Also, if you're parked it should go into 4 wheel drive regardless of tire wear as far as I know. Might be the actuator but def check the book to see if theres anything you are missing.
Weston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine was kinda giving me a hard time back in the summer going into 4 high and low, but after I went in and out of the gear a few times during the day, it seems to have worked itself out...
Former UNDER 21 CLUB MEMBER #43
Z71ON on YouTube

2005 Colorado Z71 4X4
2007 Honda TRX400EX
2001 Honda CR250R
MarkEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BahamaTodd Send a message via MSN to BahamaTodd

Usually it will go into 4hi pretty easily. Did you try going into 4hi when moving or stopped? Try it while moving - somewhere between 10-40mph. If it still doesn't I think its time for a trip to the dealer.

If you're having problems with 4lo, try to be rolling forward at about 1-2mph while in neutral. If that isnt possible, try moving forward or backward a couple inches then try again. 4lo usually has issues getting everything lined up. That's why your Blazer would go into 4wd on the lift - Nothing stopping the gears from moving that small amount needed to line up.

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4 I5 Auto
33x10.5x15 BFG AT, TB Crank, 2" Shackles, Aluminum Skidz

Gallery - Cardomain - Florida355
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

If anyone is having this issue, check my post on the indicator switch issues. Cheap fix, tough troubleshoot. Dealers are for suckers.
Happster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.