45 MPG Colorado? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 45 MPG Colorado?

I found this Youtube video tonight about the Isuzu D-Max "DuraMiles Challenge."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bl5UhVXBo0

If I did my math correctly, the truck traveled 1501 km on less than 76 liters of fuel, which equates to about 45+ MPG. I got the 76 liter fuel capacity figure from the Aussie specs for a "Holden Colorado," so the Isuzu spec might be a little different, skewing the numbers slightly, but this was the best figure I could find at the moment. No Matter what, though, the mileage of the trucks in the video is impressive.

I would buy a 3.0l Turbo Diesel Colorado in a heartbeat if I could get anywhere near that kind of mileage from it. Why is it that we can't get one of these trucks in the U.S. with that engine? I can't believe it has anything at all to do with emissions, since they would be very low -on a per mile basis- if only consuming one gallon of diesel every 45 miles. Even at the higher price of diesel fuel at the moment, the efficiency of these trucks would make them very affordable to drive compared to their gasoline powered counterparts.

It frustrates me greatly to think that I can't get this engine in a truck built for the U.S. market.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 45 MPG Colorado?

Emission regs is the problem, thats why.

2012 3LT Stock.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Your math sounds right. 40-45 mpg is not uncommon for 4 cyl isuzu diesel engines in compact trucks (remember the Chevy Luv and Isuzu Pup?) I'm too am trying to figure out how to get one of these trucks into Calif. Believe it or not, Calif doesn't have any emissions requirements for diesels... yet. Isuzu has a plant in Mexico City and is advertising a new dealership in Tijuana. So if they sell the D-max in TJ, and you can get through all the customs BS, maybe you could buy a new D-max just over the border, and license it legally in Calif. Plus if you live near the border you can buy regular diesel (not expensive ultra-low sulfur crap) in Mex for $2.50/gal. Sounds like a great way to send the message to US truck marketers that consumers are ready for a fuel efficient compact truck!
el_manaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225
I found this Youtube video tonight about the Isuzu D-Max "DuraMiles Challenge."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bl5UhVXBo0

If I did my math correctly, the truck traveled 1501 km on less than 76 liters of fuel, which equates to about 45+ MPG. I got the 76 liter fuel capacity figure from the Aussie specs for a "Holden Colorado," so the Isuzu spec might be a little different, skewing the numbers slightly, but this was the best figure I could find at the moment. No Matter what, though, the mileage of the trucks in the video is impressive.

I would buy a 3.0l Turbo Diesel Colorado in a heartbeat if I could get anywhere near that kind of mileage from it. Why is it that we can't get one of these trucks in the U.S. with that engine? I can't believe it has anything at all to do with emissions, since they would be very low -on a per mile basis- if only consuming one gallon of diesel every 45 miles. Even at the higher price of diesel fuel at the moment, the efficiency of these trucks would make them very affordable to drive compared to their gasoline powered counterparts.

It frustrates me greatly to think that I can't get this engine in a truck built for the U.S. market.

As stated before - it's all emissions. Recently the diesel emissions requirements were changed again and they are even more stringent about NOx, SOx, and particulate emissions.
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

**** that would be awesome to get a diesel engine in a colly. Not only do you get the better fuel economy but the added power you could put on it. Too bad the drivetrain would have to change alot with all the extra torque you put on. Not only that the frame and suspension would have to be redone seen as the added weight of the engine and transmission.

Not to thread jack but why don't they put better transmission in the trucks. If you could fit a 6 speed in the colly and change the RPM at what your max torque and HP were at you could get a crap load more miles. **** at least 30 MPG on the I5.
OffroadJunkie84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_manaba
Your math sounds right. 40-45 mpg is not uncommon for 4 cyl isuzu diesel engines in compact trucks (remember the Chevy Luv and Isuzu Pup?) I'm too am trying to figure out how to get one of these trucks into Calif. Believe it or not, Calif doesn't have any emissions requirements for diesels... yet. Isuzu has a plant in Mexico City and is advertising a new dealership in Tijuana. So if they sell the D-max in TJ, and you can get through all the customs BS, maybe you could buy a new D-max just over the border, and license it legally in Calif. Plus if you live near the border you can buy regular diesel (not expensive ultra-low sulfur crap) in Mex for $2.50/gal. Sounds like a great way to send the message to US truck marketers that consumers are ready for a fuel efficient compact truck!
According to this, that Isuzu D-Max will have to comply with this set of regulations. Not as easy as it sounds.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMP ... st5108.pdf

Here is more info..
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_ ... ng_car.xml

Last time I checked, California is in the USA. If I am reading it right, all diesel light trucks made since 1975 must meet federal emission standards. California diesel emissions standards are tougher than federal standards. That's why Californian's have not been able to buy diesel Jetta's and Beetles for the last five years.

Even if you simply drove the Isuzu D-Max across the border at Tijuana, you could never register it in the USA because it does not have a 17 digit VIN or a VIN conforming with USA standards.
Catch-All Xtreme Floor Guards
ZQ8 tailgate decal
Factory foglights added
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

your government is making all of north america slaves to gasoline. diesel engines are available in countries all over the world, and ones that actually follow kyoto protocol. the US is one of the biggest polluters of greenhouse emissions and is the only developed country not following kyoto. so your emission requirements are all a load of ****, they want you to buy gas. Bush keeps feeding it and everyone keeps eating it
boddah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boddah
your government is making all of north america slaves to gasoline. diesel engines are available in countries all over the world, and ones that actually follow kyoto protocol. the US is one of the biggest polluters of greenhouse emissions and is the only developed country not following kyoto. so your emission requirements are all a load of ****, they want you to buy gas. Bush keeps feeding it and everyone keeps eating it
I believe it was Mark Twain who said: "Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".
2005 Z71 LS Crew Cab 4X4 L52, 4L60E, GT4, Silver Birch Metallic MAXX Shackles: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...here-here.html MAXX Cam JR Lift Kit for 4X4 & 2WD Z71: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...ering-kit.html
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...t-numbers.html PerforMAXX Body Lift: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...y-spacers.html
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista
Quote:
Originally Posted by boddah
I believe it was Mark Twain who said: "Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

x2.
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hmm as I do recall every vehicle that is "ported" from Europe and other nations have to have their emissions redone because they put out too much smog. That's why the Smart cars (god i hate those stupid things) don't get as many MPG here as they do over in Europe. Diesel emissions are actually worse than gas, way more hydrocarbons.

And isn't Canada right now in their sand pits digging away for more oil? If you want to talk about contributing to the problem then you better look no further to your backyard.
OffroadJunkie84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.