When did GM stop offering Manual Transmissions - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When did GM stop offering Manual Transmissions

I was looking at the Chevy trucks online and discovered that you can't get the Silverado or the Sierra with manual transmission.

Not sure why, Ford and Dodge do. Aren't there enough of us who prefer manual over automatic any more?
koogles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: When did GM stop offering Manual Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by koogles
I was looking at the Chevy trucks online and discovered that you can't get the Silverado or the Sierra with manual transmission.

Not sure why, Ford and Dodge do. Aren't there enough of us who prefer manual over automatic any more?
I think it is marketing economics. I am guessing the percentage sales mix of automatics and manuals in the Silverado's is like 90/10. Passing emissions could be another reason for the lack of sticks. Another reason is GM may not have a light duty 5-speed that will hold up behind 6.0, 345 hp Vortec. Since most buyers prefer automatics, GM dropped the manuals from the option list to save money. Can you still get a stick in the heavy duty 3/4 tons?
Catch-All Xtreme Floor Guards
ZQ8 tailgate decal
Factory foglights added
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you look at most vehicles across the range in the world of Detroit, you can only get automatic's in anything above the base end type vehicle it seems, unless it's a sports car. I read somewhere, think it was an article on MSN regarding this same issue, it said that they make a lot more money selling an automatic than they do a manual transmission. It's an "upgrade" whether it comes standard or not, so that means more money right from the start. One thing I did like looking at the Taco, you can get a manual it seems in any version of it; probably not completely true, but the option at least was there.
RckyMtn Coly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah. That's too bad. When I told the salesman I would not change my mind on my '06 regarding the manual transmission, he (actually a couple of them) looked at me like I had two heads. I love the 5 speed. I haven't owned anything but since 1992. It's amazing how many people don't know even know how to drive them anymore.
BigDan827 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying
Quote:

I think it is marketing economics. I am guessing the percentage sales mix of automatics and manuals in the Silverado's is like 90/10. Passing emissions could be another reason for the lack of sticks. Another reason is GM may not have a light duty 5-speed that will hold up behind 6.0, 345 hp Vortec. Since most buyers prefer automatics, GM dropped the manuals from the option list to save money. Can you still get a stick in the heavy duty 3/4 tons?
Passing emissions as a reason for not provideing a MT?? never heard that one.... wouldnt it be the same motor, in most cases, married up to either an AT or MT.. for the 355s thats all GM does... and as far as getting an adequate MT for a 345hp engine... they have MTs for Aveos up to 550HP CTS-V and everything inbetween... is it just economics...not sure.. My wifes car is a CTS with a MT and apparently an MT equipped CTS makes up less than 2% of that market.. yet GM still makes them... I guess I dont konw the answer... in cases where there is a potential market that dont offer MTs and in some cases where there is a small market, like the CTS, they offer MTs..
Old 09-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubeiram
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying
Quote:

Passing emissions as a reason for not provideing a MT?? never heard that one.... wouldnt it be the same motor, in most cases, married up to either an AT or MT.. for the 355s thats all GM does... and as far as getting an adequate MT for a 345hp engine... they have MTs for Aveos up to 550HP CTS-V and everything inbetween... is it just economics...not sure.. My wifes car is a CTS with a MT and apparently an MT equipped CTS makes up less than 2% of that market.. yet GM still makes them... I guess I dont konw the answer... in cases where there is a potential market that dont offer MTs and in some cases where there is a small market, like the CTS, they offer MTs..
Back in the day of carburetors, GM had manual transmission models that were not available in California due to emissions reasons.
For example, the 1981 Camaro Z28 was only available with a 305 and an automatic in California while the other 49 sates got to choose the 350 and a 4-speed.
Don't think emissions is that big of an issue now that everything is fuel injected but manual transmissions were an emissions issue at one time.
Catch-All Xtreme Floor Guards
ZQ8 tailgate decal
Factory foglights added
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan827
Yeah. That's too bad. When I told the salesman I would not change my mind on my '06 regarding the manual transmission, he (actually a couple of them) looked at me like I had two heads. I love the 5 speed. I haven't owned anything but since 1992. It's amazing how many people don't know even know how to drive them anymore.
I like the extra control you get out of the manual and at least back in the day the increased fuel economy. MT's are a pain in B2B traffic though.

Looks like the RAM has a six speed.
koogles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

you can no longer get a manual on the 09 ram 1500.

I'm not sure on the 09 F150 yet.
2008 Carbon Black Metallic Ext Cab Z85 Canyon 3.7L
Now:
2008 RC Sierra Black 4.8L
twopoint8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cost of development plus the fact about less than 10 percent of vehicle owners nowadays know how to drive stick can't justify the cost difference to have a manual. The 09 F150 is an all auto transmission line. Either the 4 Speed or new 6 Speed is available for it. The 4.3 V6 is gone and so the manual transmission with it.

The newer auto transmissions can handle more power than before, and with the more gears like the 5 speed or 6 speed, the advantage of having more gears of a manual is null. Even though the manual did have a nice MPG advantage, and the fact you can have the freedom to shift when you want. But car manufacturers are trying to cut developing and production costs down so if it can save millions they will do it.
OffroadJunkie84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtn Coly
... One thing I did like looking at the Taco, you can get a manual it seems in any version of it; probably not completely true, but the option at least was there.
Nissan offers 5 and 6-Speed manual trannies in the XE, SE and Pro-4X Frontiers, but as you noted about the Taco, Nissan has some limitations on engine size, cab configuration and 4x2 v 4x4 too. Yep, for those of us who love manual trannies, the world is growing dark. My wife insists on a manual too. She must be in the 1/10 of 1% amongst women drivers and it makes finding a new vehicle for her VERY hard. I'm leaning toward the Xterra for her, as the 4.0L and 6-Speed is a very sweet combination.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.