How much does winter gas decrease mileage? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much does winter gas decrease mileage?

So I recall reading some threads about winter gas decreasing mileage, but what kind of decrease can I be expecting? Over the summer I was consistently getting 10.5L/100km (22.5 Mi/Gal) in my Z85, so I quit calculating mileage. Lately I've been getting 12.5L/100km (18.8Mi/Gal). Does this seem like a big drop just due to winter gas or could something else be wrong? I havn't done any mods between then and now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Bike - 102 CID v-twin. 120 hp/115ft lbs.

Colorado & Canyon Club of Canada member #4
coyote14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to burn
Default Re: How much does winter gas decrease mileage?

Its true... I get about 50km less to a tank because of winter gas. The change is immediately obvious too. I got 600km+ out of my last tank of regular gas, and as soon as the stations switched to winter gas Im struggling to get 550km to a tank.

Colorado & Canyon Club of CANADA - Member #13
20" RTX Blackhawk rims, 4/5 Drop (all Belltech), Belltech front & rear swaybars, Kenwood DDX6019 DVD / Sirius / iPod / Bluetooh, StreetScene Rollpan, Low-Profile X-Member, C-Notch, Flex-a-lite 180 e-fan, K&N FIPK, Line-x, HIDs, Optima, Donnelly 36400 Mirror, Smooth Fuel Door, A1Electric Power Windows Conversion, etc.
burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

It also takes longer for the engine to warm up. This keeps coolant temp sensors cold for a longer time and keeps the fuel injection running rich for longer periods. Rich mixtures also help light off the cat quicker and keep pollution out of the air. In real cold climates, I assume it's a habit to leave your car warming up in the driveway and keep the engine idling for longer periods to keep the heater and defroster going. We Kalifornians get a real crappy winter blend gas that is full of "oxygenates". This stuff is similar to E10 that is found elsewhere and reduces fuel mileage. It's sold to us as helping our global climate but in the end just makes you use more gas, lightens your wallet quicker and makes cars runs bad.
Catch-All Xtreme Floor Guards
ZQ8 tailgate decal
Factory foglights added
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. That's a big difference... I thought up here in Canada they added alcohol to the gas to help prevent fuel lines from freezing, though I'm not sure - that'd decrease mileage I assume. It hasn't gotten too cold yet, so I hope my mileage doesn't get too much worse when it does. I'm sure the extra amount of 0Mi/Gal I get while warming up my truck doesn't help! Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

So I looked into what is changed from winter to summer gas- what the companies do is blend the fuel differently so that in the winter it vaporizes more easily = easier to start your car when it's cold, where as in the summer they use a different blend that doesn't vaporize as easily. They also add de-icers in really cold regions, not sure what it is. I guess that all adds up to worse mileage but easier starting.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to platinumZ71

its not a big change but u will def notice a few miles per tank
Black Metal Taillight guards, Hunter Black Brush Guard
Black Verticle grille, Black housing halo headlights, Black front bumper
3" exhaust, Black H3 Wheels, mass airflow sensor...etc
platinumZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying
It also takes longer for the engine to warm up. This keeps coolant temp sensors cold for a longer time and keeps the fuel injection running rich for longer periods. Rich mixtures also help light off the cat quicker and keep pollution out of the air. In real cold climates, I assume it's a habit to leave your car warming up in the driveway and keep the engine idling for longer periods to keep the heater and defroster going.
Im sure that this doesn't help... but its not the only factor. I have an e-fan, so warm-ups are just as quick as on warm day. Also, This has been noticible for the last few weeks and it has not really been that cold so my driving habits have not changed.

Besides, the coolant temp has little to do with the fuel mixture. Once the exhaust heats the O2 to 600* - It enters closed loop and trims based on A/F; not just mixture tables. Ontop of that, the O2's in these trucks are heated - so the difference between summer and winter warm-ups may be the different from 60 to 90 seconds respectively.

The fact is that they add antifreeze to the gas in the winter. This means that you go from getting "100% gas" in the summer (for arguments sake) to getting "90% gas / 10% antifreeze" in the winter. Antifreeze is not a fuel, so this translates into a 10% reduction in mileage since you have 10% less gas.

Colorado & Canyon Club of CANADA - Member #13
20" RTX Blackhawk rims, 4/5 Drop (all Belltech), Belltech front & rear swaybars, Kenwood DDX6019 DVD / Sirius / iPod / Bluetooh, StreetScene Rollpan, Low-Profile X-Member, C-Notch, Flex-a-lite 180 e-fan, K&N FIPK, Line-x, HIDs, Optima, Donnelly 36400 Mirror, Smooth Fuel Door, A1Electric Power Windows Conversion, etc.
burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Even though the system can go closed loop early it still bases the A/F on water and air temperature. Just because an O2 sensor is warm doesn't mean a cold engine will run acceptably at 14.7:1 Maybe the e-fan is working miracles for you, because I have to drive for fifteen minutes before it's fully warm even after letting it warm for five first. Double the time from summer.

Antifreeze in the gas, huh? In the west we blend in alcohol which, although doesn't contain the same energy as gas, is a combustible so a 10% mix will not drop the mileage by the same 10%. We could go further and take into account higher fuel density in colder temperatures as well. Which is why pumps have stickers saying what temperature they are calibrated at.

Slightly less efficient gas, richer mixtures, colder, stiffer vehicle all work together to reduce MPG. Also consider people drive shorter distances in the winter which can skew the overall MPG. A 2L/100km change cannot be blamed on winter gas alone.
foof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alcohol is the antifreeze he was talking about.
2005 Z71 LS Crew Cab 4X4 L52, 4L60E, GT4, Silver Birch Metallic MAXX Shackles: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...here-here.html MAXX Cam JR Lift Kit for 4X4 & 2WD Z71: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...ering-kit.html
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...t-numbers.html PerforMAXX Body Lift: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...y-spacers.html
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was getting 15 at best up in ND. I'm consistantly getting 18 now. I usually ran the truck 15 minutes to warm it up in ND, so I think the winter gas 2 mpg.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.