Hood: Rust Issue - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcp

Default Re: Hood: Rust Issue

Rust is extremly hard to stop.Make SURE you get a NEW hood,I would demand it.Put a mark on the under side of the hood say by the windshield.Lets see if they replace it.
dcp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hey guys, stop raining on my parade. LOL I guessing this is happening for a reason and that being the dealer is not painting the hood and is outsourcing it. I am also hoping like **** they are trying to match the hood to the truck and given it is silver, that is not exactly easy plus the truck is a 2005 and you have fade to contend with.

Also marking the hood under will do next to nothing. The underside of the hood is rusted so that would need to paint that. I could mark the metal but say I am pulling a scam and sanding the **** out of the underside of a hood, I am going to sand or bondo out a small scratch.

The hood is not rusted through so neither GM or the dealship has to cover this. The dealer has been very good to me to this point so I have no reason not to trust them. I could speculate but Iím guessing the dealer isnít so upset about giving me a rental in these times as new cars arenít moving and a lot of money is coming in through warranty work.
Miller426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

I had the same thing on my 2004 and started the process at 98,000 a couple of years ago (100K warrenty). GM will not pay for it unless it's a hole and the dealership tried to scam me in the process so I went to owner of the dealership. After that, the dealership paid and replaced my hood. I think since GM had a problem they should have paid for these hoods. The design was bad and have since been fixed. Don't give up.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

I need to ask the dealership who is paying for this. I am not sure if it is them or GM. It would seem these trucks don't like road salt since people having this problem seem to be in Canada or northern states.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

It's my understanding that the improved hood design has weep holes. The problem was that water could get up underneath the hood and sit there and rust, the weep holes allow this water to drain. I am certain that salt does speed up the rust process. Here is what happened to me: I took it in with rust bubbles on hood. Dealer said GM won't cover unless it rusts all the waay through. Went back again to talk to a manager, they still would not fix, however said next week GM rep would be there and I could talk to him. I talked to GM rep and body shop manager, they first tried to sell me a new truck with $1000 off and give me peanuts for my truck. NO DEAL. So the GM rep agreed to pay half and gave me an estimate of $850. Bewildered, I went to another dealership. They told me GM wouldn't pay for it also but gave me an estimate of $400 to fix. Big difference between $850 and $400, then it struck me what they did. They doubled the price and then agreed to pay half, what a scam. I went to the owner of the first dealership and told him I would go to the ends of the earth to trash his dealership (I know a lot of people in the area) and let everyone know of the scam. He took me to the body shop manager and confronted him. The body shop manager said he thought I wanted the doors painted also(WTF?) and blamed it on miscommunication. The owner asked can you replace this hood for $400 and he said yes. So the owner said good, Bob the GM rep already said he would pay half so the owner said the GM rep will pay the $400 and my share will be $0.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gridracer

good job bejay
gridracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeJay
It's my understanding that the improved hood design has weep holes. The problem was that water could get up underneath the hood and sit there and rust, the weep holes allow this water to drain. I am certain that salt does speed up the rust process. Here is what happened to me: I took it in with rust bubbles on hood. Dealer said GM won't cover unless it rusts all the waay through. Went back again to talk to a manager, they still would not fix, however said next week GM rep would be there and I could talk to him. I talked to GM rep and body shop manager, they first tried to sell me a new truck with $1000 off and give me peanuts for my truck. NO DEAL. So the GM rep agreed to pay half and gave me an estimate of $850. Bewildered, I went to another dealership. They told me GM wouldn't pay for it also but gave me an estimate of $400 to fix. Big difference between $850 and $400, then it struck me what they did. They doubled the price and then agreed to pay half, what a scam. I went to the owner of the first dealership and told him I would go to the ends of the earth to trash his dealership (I know a lot of people in the area) and let everyone know of the scam. He took me to the body shop manager and confronted him. The body shop manager said he thought I wanted the doors painted also(WTF?) and blamed it on miscommunication. The owner asked can you replace this hood for $400 and he said yes. So the owner said good, Bob the GM rep already said he would pay half so the owner said the GM rep will pay the $400 and my share will be $0.

Did this just happen? How did it turn out if not. My truck is at the dealer now. I will have to look for the weep holes but to be fair they could be giving me an old version of the hood and not the redesigned one. I'm pretty sure I have a way of telling if this hood is new or just repainted however I have to say this dealship has been very good to me in the 9 years i've dealt with them so I am not too worried about it. Right now I am getting a free hood, paint job on the hood and rental car while this is happening. The truck is silver so I am a little concerned they wont be able to match the pain.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

This happened 2 1/2 years ago. I don't know how to tell the difference in the hoods, I was told about the weep holes after the fact. There are probably not any more of those old hoods out there I would imagine, just 2004 maybe 2005's also. So far my hood looks fine, no rust anywhere else so it must have been the defective design of the hood without the weep holes. The only other thing that I have had rust is the cables that hold the tailgate, one rusted all the way through and broke. Dealer replaced free after the hood incident.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

I got the truck back yesterday. The paint is fairly well matched. I can't tell with it siting in the garage but it's possible you may notice fade on the fenders since the truck is a 2005. The hood is new. The old hood had a place not easy to sand and fix and the new hood no longer has pieces of rust rumbling through the supports when it's opened. I have to give Keim Chevrolet props. They came through once again. I guess having a good dealer makes all the difference.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
dcp

Glad it worked out for you! :D
dcp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.