COLORADO VS. TACOMA - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default COLORADO VS. TACOMA

Hey guys first day here i have 2009 2wd tacoma and was gonna sell it and get a 4wd but i was hoping some of you guys could change my mind on buying a 10 colorado and not tacoma.

thanks

jake
jak3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: COLORADO VS. TACOMA

You bought a Tacoma instead of a Colorado once already. Now you want us to convince you to sell it and get a Colorado?
2005 Z71 LS Crew Cab 4X4 L52, 4L60E, GT4, Silver Birch Metallic MAXX Shackles: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...here-here.html MAXX Cam JR Lift Kit for 4X4 & 2WD Z71: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...ering-kit.html
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...t-numbers.html PerforMAXX Body Lift: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...y-spacers.html
ssgjurista is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista
You bought a Tacoma instead of a Colorado once already. Now you want us to convince you to sell it and get a Colorado?
lol.

Alpine Sound System: iDA-X001 deck, SWS-1023 10" sub, MRP-F300 Amp, MRP-M500 Mono Amp, SPS-600 speakers
Low-profile black toolbox
Gregster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

The Tacoma may or may not be a great truck for you. I looked at one and couldn't fit behind the seat. This is a problem with Toyota's and me, they just don't seem to have the front seat room. I feel like one of those fortune cookies with the message all twisted inside. And again a matter of preference, I don't like the way they look. Good luck on your choice.

PS - They also can't take a plow on the front end meaning they are worthless for my use.
eagle71 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Save yourself the grief of engine block issues and frame rot. Also, if you get a '10 Canyon/Colorado you can get the G80 locking rear diff which make these very capable off road. Good luck with your decision.
-Branden

"Stupidity is like nuclear power...it can be used for good or evil...and you don't want to get any on you"
CanyonAB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Xwd

My thoughts...If you want an honest-to-god truck that's been around (GM's kinda got this one down to an art...) then go for the Colorado. It's not the highest quality in terms of refinement (it's not a Volkswagen or BMW inside). But it's plenty capable, especially with the Z71 package with the G80 locker and 17" wheels.

The question still remains...why did you buy a 2wd taco anyway?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to XJDesertFox

its going to be hard for this forum to be unbiased dude.

the tacoma is a FAR SUPERIOR truck in many aspects. ESPECIALLY aftermarket, the colorado aftermarket fucking sucks. and all these guys are talking about the g80 locker, but compared to the toyota e-locker, the G80 fucking sucks

ive built toyota rock crawlers in the past and we use those stock tacoma e-lockers and they hold up to 38-40" tires. toyota drivetrain parts are BEEFY and wont let you down. i had a toyota 22re motor with 485,000 miles and it was still running strong when i sold it

dont let the "frame rot" problem scare you either, ever since that recall was issued toyota has galvashield coated all of their frames, its not an issue on newer toyotas. imo toyota does better with acknowledging problems and fixing them than chevy does with the colorado

as another member put it, "the colorado is the red head ******* child of general motors"

also, if you do plan on keeping your taco(i would), i'd head on over to www.ttora.com there is a wealth of information on there. and if you have any questions you can PM me.

I plan on my next project to be a 1996-2004 tacoma with a 4cyl and dual transfer cases on 1 ton axles and 40" tires.
XJDesertFox is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Xwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJDesertFox
as another member put it, "the colorado is the red head ******* child of general motors"
Just curious...but why? I never owned an S10, but I figure aside from motor/torque range preference, the Colorado is a better truck than the S10 was. And even though the Colorado is behind in a few categories, I don't think it's a bad truck. Simple, and after 5 years of production, pretty solid.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to XJDesertFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwd
Quote:
Just curious...but why? I never owned an S10, but I figure aside from motor/torque range preference, the Colorado is a better truck than the S10 was. And even though the Colorado is behind in a few categories, I don't think it's a bad truck. Simple, and after 5 years of production, pretty solid.
you own a 2009 so you probably dont understand fully as the 09s had a lot of the problems fixed by then

Just off the top of my head.
1) the ABS system is garbage, constantly throwing faults
2) the motor is hit or miss, some get great life out of them, and to some its a ticking timebomb, i can recall atleast 3 motors on 355nation that have blown, and i know for a fact 2 of them were stock.
3) poor build quality. i dont even have to explain this one do i?
4) Leaf packs are defective on lots of Z71's
5) Poor gas tank placement causing the "chevy lean"
6) The TPMS system going nuts in cold weather (happens to me not sure about others)
7) The lack of aftermarket due to GM cheaping out and using cheaper, but less available parts, the AAM series axles for example.
Various electrical PCM problems people have : trucks shutting off, electrical going nuts, then with a restart of the motor, shazam its gone.
XJDesertFox is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
JBT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwd
Quote:
you own a 2009 so you probably dont understand fully as the 09s had a lot of the problems fixed by then

Just off the top of my head.
1) the ABS system is garbage, constantly throwing faults
2) the motor is hit or miss, some get great life out of them, and to some its a ticking timebomb, i can recall atleast 3 motors on 355nation that have blown, and i know for a fact 2 of them were stock.

3) poor build quality. i dont even have to explain this one do i?
4) Leaf packs are defective on lots of Z71's
5) Poor gas tank placement causing the "chevy lean"
6) The TPMS system going nuts in cold weather (happens to me not sure about others)
7) The lack of aftermarket due to GM cheaping out and using cheaper, but less available parts, the AAM series axles for example.
Various electrical PCM problems people have : trucks shutting off, electrical going nuts, then with a restart of the motor, shazam its gone.
I've owned 2 of these trucks, a 2004 Z85 and now a 2007 Z71 and didn't have any of these problems. the only thing was the tires on the old Z85 were crap. Other than that these trucks were and still are great little trucks. My old S10 had the chevy lean. The colorados I've owned blow away the old S10 by far. I think the tacoma has a nicer interior but in 2007 I couldn't get side airbags in the tacoma extended cab, no sunroof, no standard alarm, less horse power, I didn't want the bed cover, and the interiors of the tacoma are all light colored which I new would be hard to keep clean. When I put all the options on it that I got in the colorado it cost 3,000 more. So I bought another Colorado and couldn't be happier. And the 2007 colorado model came with the 3.7 liter engine, chrome rims and the ebony interior with more padding in the seats and armrests which was nice. The Tacoma has an overhead console, but the Colorado has a 2 tier console. The console on the Colorado sucks but the pocket doors in the tacoma's bed look like pieces of crap. In the extended cab, the Tacoma rear seats had more room which was nice but the Colorado had the storage compartments which I like. It comes down to, you pay more for a tacoma and it has a better resale value. So which truck suits your needs for the cost? I wish there was a PERFECT midsize truck, but there's NOT.
Firestone Destination AT
JBT is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.