Cruise Control does not work. PROBLEM FOUND - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to WV05Canyon
Default Cruise Control does not work. PROBLEM FOUND

My cruise control is not working on my truck. How would I fix the problem. I checked the fuse and it was fine. What else could be the problem? My dad and I believe what ever the problem is also is causing the trailer brake controller problems. Any suggestions what so ever would be great.
2005 GMC Canyon, neoprene seat covers, Line X bed liner, 4.10 gears, diamond plate tool box and bed rails, ram air cowl induction hood, chrome 18" Moto Metal wheels and Good Year Silent Armor tires, chrome brush guard .
WV05Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cruise Control does not work. Suggestions please

Are your brakes lights working? A bad (or misadjusted) stoplight switch will cause the cruise control to not work.

GM fail; no truck engine should have less torque than horsepower. Oh wait......it's an SUV with a bed.
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

My brake lights are working. How would I adjust the stoplight switch or check it for proper placement? What else could cause the cruise not to function? I wonder how hard it would be to replace the brake switch? The switch atleast sounds like it could be the problem with the cruise and the trailer brake unit.
2005 GMC Canyon, neoprene seat covers, Line X bed liner, 4.10 gears, diamond plate tool box and bed rails, ram air cowl induction hood, chrome 18" Moto Metal wheels and Good Year Silent Armor tires, chrome brush guard .
Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Global Moderator

I don't think it's the brake switch if all of your brake lights are working. Did you check the 3rd brake light also? Any brake light out will cause the cruise not to work.

Also, check your fuse for it.

10,000 Posts Club Member #1
Conservative Club Member #2
Gun Toting American Club Member #3
Danny45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny45
I don't think it's the brake switch if all of your brake lights are working. Did you check the 3rd brake light also? Any brake light out will cause the cruise not to work.

Please don't tell that to mine. I have one of the two bulbs out on the CHMSL, and my cruise is still working.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Global Moderator

It's an Isuzu. Nothing is as it should be. :D

Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to naskie18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny45

Please don't tell that to mine. I have one of the two bulbs out on the CHMSL, and my cruise is still working.
I don't know that the truck cares about the CHMSL, though. I'm with you, one of my bulbs in it is out and the cruise works fine....but I wonder if disconnecting the bulbs in the actual tail lenses would affect the cruise or if its only the failure of the brake switch that affects it.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

naskie18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Global Moderator

With advancements in technology over the years, it wouldn't surprise me that they have this issue remedied finally. Used to be, even 1 bulb of a multiple bulb brake light fixture would affect the cruise control. They may have finally sophisticated things to ignore minor changes in voltage.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskie18
I don't know that the truck cares about the CHMSL, though. I'm with you, one of my bulbs in it is out and the cruise works fine....but I wonder if disconnecting the bulbs in the actual tail lenses would affect the cruise or if its only the failure of the brake switch that affects it.
After reviewing the schematics, only the brake switch affects cruise control, not the lights themselves.

GM fail; no truck engine should have less torque than horsepower. Oh wait......it's an SUV with a bed.
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I took the truck to a mechanic today and he checked the brake switch and wiring and that problem was crossed off the list. The switch was adjusted correctly, all the wires were connected and all the fuses checked out. He informed me to have a GM computer check out the trucks computer to see if the trucks computer logged a problem. He also mentioned Chrysler had a recall that the clock spring needed replaced when the cruise and horn did not work which confuses me how they are connected. Any ideas at this time are being taken. I have all LED light bulb replacement, would that affect anything? I hooked the trailer up today and when I turned on the emergency flashers my 3rd brake light started flashing which I have never seen before. Thanks everyone so far for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.