abs/ traction control problem - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default abs/ traction control problem

2009 Colorado, 4X4,3.7L, 4spd auto. I bought the pickup new, it now has 5,000 miles on it and it has been in the shop for 3 weeks with an ABS- traction control problem. It started on a sub zero morning. The service Abs-traction control light came on. I turned the pickup off, and then back on and the light went away. Same thing next morning, only this time the light /message didn't go away. Also, the ABS is disabled with this. I went to my dealer and they read a C0252 code. Replaced the Yaw rate sensor per the GM bullitin. Didn't work. Change the EBCM per GM. Still the same code, imediatley at key on. Several calls from my dealer to GM's tech support with all their test ideas. Still no luck. GM sent an Engineer to help, he is puzzeled as well. They have changed the yaw rate sensor and the steering possision sensor, TWICE, and are waiting on another EBCM. Has any one else had this happen?
mdk187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: abs/ traction control problem

I got a ABS fault on the LCD and the abs light on about 2 months ago when we got a lot of snow. Didn't get the codes read yet, but if you find out the problem, let us know
baseballfan5566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

The 2nd EBCM arrived in the shop on Friday. The GM engineer is scheduled for Tuesday to program it with his lap top. Instead of downloading it from the their computer. This is a small town dealership, so I can go to the shop and see what is going on. I have been doing business with them for 30+ years and they are a pretty sharp crew. They even had the dash out of it checking the on/off button. Very thuro. I still wonder if the sub zero day had any thing to do with it. We shall see on Tuesday.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's stories like this that make me wonder if we have gone too far with computers. Auto mechanics are now called algorithm interpretation engineers. This whole Toyota recall mess is probably associated with a computer command fault between the drive by wire accelerator pedal and the throttle body. This is why I avoid owning cars that are too complex with too many gizmos. A perfect example are those options that parallel park the car for you. Give me a break, just more electronic crap to fail. I mean 3 weeks to fix a truck and they have to fly a GM engineer in from Detroit to fix the problem with a laptop. I hope you got a nice loaner car to drive in the meantime. Your story unfortunately is prognosticating our future.
Remember HAL in the movie 2001, A Space Odyssey? Today, it is the revenge of technology against us.
Catch-All Xtreme Floor Guards
ZQ8 tailgate decal
Factory foglights added
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying
It's stories like this that make me wonder if we have gone too far with computers. Auto mechanics are now called algorithm interpretation engineers. This whole Toyota recall mess is probably associated with a computer command fault between the drive by wire accelerator pedal and the throttle body. This is why I avoid owning cars that are too complex with too many gizmos. A perfect example are those options that parallel park the car for you. Give me a break, just more electronic crap to fail. I mean 3 weeks to fix a truck and they have to fly a GM engineer in from Detroit to fix the problem with a laptop. I hope you got a nice loaner car to drive in the meantime. Your story unfortunately is prognosticating our future.
Remember HAL in the movie 2001, A Space Odyssey? Today, it is the revenge of technology against us.
I have worked on microcode / firmware driven equipment for years and tend to agree with this. I think OBD1 was a pretty good system - I wouldn't want to go back to the old carburetor days, but computer control has gotten out of hand. To have EVERY electric device (such as headlights or windshield wipers) being controlled thru a computer seems logical in this day and age, but some of the weird bugs I have read about on this forum alone have to make you wonder if total computer control is the way to go.
FrugalRado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bought my Colorado on the CFC ordeal, trading in an '85 K5. My Dad has a 2006 Colorado and my rural mail carrier has two. Neither has had any trouble, so I thought it would be a decent pickup. I bought a "plain jane" pick up with just the basics and four wheel drive.I guess I should have done my homework better. For instance, I did not realise until the other day, that the throttle is also computer controled on this pickup. I never even gave it a thought. As far as a loaner, they offered a frontwheel drive car. I told them that if I had wanted a front wheel drive I would have boughten one. The snow drifts get kind of deep out here in the country and you may not see the snow plow for days. So, for now, the ol' tonner ('81 K30)will have do.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Sparky87

Just a thought but maybe one of the sensors is acting up?
09 Colorado CC 4X4 ~42000km's * V8 * Hydronic 4 and Airtronic 2 heaters * Two orbital purple haze batteries in parallel * Complete bubaloo skids * 2 1/2" shackle * T-bar crank * 17"X8" ultra mavericks * 500HD decals * Canyon & Colorado club of Canada! #9
Sparky87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

I brought that up, and they said they ran every thing. According to the "computer" every thing is working properly. They broke each system down and checked them individualy. My mechanic seems to think it is a communication problem between systems. I maen even the GM engineer isn't sure. I will definetly let folks know what happens next.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had moisture freezing up around the gas pedal which set off codes. It's been 3 years since was in the -30f temps, so I don't remember what codes they were.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Finaly, the pickup has been released from the hospital. The whole story is long and confusing, but here it is in sumation, sort of. The yaw rate sensor, the steering position sensor and the ebcm, all constantly comunicate with one another. The yaw rate sensor was O.K. from the start. They think what happened was; the steering posision sensor went out. Then when the ebcm was changed, the steering sensor corrupted it. Then when the steering sensor was replaced, the corrupted ebcm in turn corrupted the new steering sensor. Each part being changed individualy,(multipal times) instead of at the same time, created a ping pong effect beetween the two of them. My mechanic was on the right track from the start ( he was questioning the steering sensor early on), but some of the tests the GM tech support asked him to do were missing needed steps, and had eronious data. The GM bulliton basicly says; step 1, replace YAW rate sensor. Step 2, replace EBCM. Done. Well, there needs to be a step to check the STEERING possision sensor in there as well, or possibly replace all three as a group. I hope this may help someone else in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.