TPM saying low tire pressure - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default TPM saying low tire pressure

Hello,
I have a 2007 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71. I recently took my stock tires off and put on 32x11.5x15. I set the tires to 48psi and the sensor reads low tire pressure. Is there a way to take this message off without having to take it to the stealership or buying a device? Is there a fuse I can take out or somthing? Thanks.
Westin Chrome Nerf Bars
Westin Polished Stainless Steel Brushguard

bigcatwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: TPM saying low tire pressure

I suspect one of the wheel sensors was damaged when the tires were installed. Try the "TPMS Sensor Matching Process" in the owner manual. If one of the sensors won't register, you'll need to replace it: about $70 from the dealer or $30-some online. If a tire shop did the damage, they should cover it.
renalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think it's probably because you have too much pressure, it only shows one generic message. You can only use a few pounds (5 to 6) above or below what the factory setting is which should be on the sticker in the door jamb, probably 30 lbs. You also have to do the whole stupid reprogram deal ( tells you how in your book) everytime you move a wheel from one spot to another or change tires. The whole system sucks!
DaveZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BahamaTodd Send a message via MSN to BahamaTodd

Your tire pressure should be somewhere between 30-35psi.

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4 I5 Auto
33x10.5x15 BFG AT, TB Crank, 2" Shackles, Aluminum Skidz

Gallery - Cardomain - Florida355
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is it possible to disable the TPM system? My truck does not have any sensors on the rims. How can I stop the message from flashing all the time besides buying new sensors? Any help would help me keep my piec e of mind.
tim2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

31 in the winter woo
readylift leveling kit
jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ71 View Post
I think it's probably because you have too much pressure, it only shows one generic message. You can only use a few pounds (5 to 6) above or below what the factory setting is which should be on the sticker in the door jamb, probably 30 lbs. You also have to do the whole stupid reprogram deal ( tells you how in your book) everytime you move a wheel from one spot to another or change tires. The whole system sucks!

I run 38 PSI in my stock 235 75R16 tires with no messages. That low tire pressure message saved me a flat at night on the side of the highway. Message flashed, I pulled into the nearest gas staion and aired up the leaking tire and that got me home without having to change a tire on the side of the road. When you rotate your tires the reprogram deal is no biggie.
heatheroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2007 View Post
Is it possible to disable the TPM system? My truck does not have any sensors on the rims. How can I stop the message from flashing all the time besides buying new sensors? Any help would help me keep my piec e of mind.

Nope, you can't disable the sensor warning light. That's why it's there. From what I read, people deal with glowing light all winter while they use a 2nd set of wheels.

You don't need to purchase new sensors, just have the ones removed from your other wheels and installed into the wheels you have now. That is, as long as your rims are TPMS friendly

I don't know why everybody says they suck. I had them in my P235 tires and the light came on once. Well duh, the tire was low. I've since swapped them into my new wheels (3" larger tire, 1" larger wheel) and have gone back and forth with pressure looking for the best ride/performance and have yet to have the light come on.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default TPMS Question Tire Pressure Alarm

Maybe I am not understanding this:

Is the TPMS sensor in the rim of the tire itself. I have "5425" aluminum rims for my normal tires on my 2010 2WD Colorado. I installed Snow Tries on separate rims ("5427" steel rims). And I am getting the tire pressure TPM error on the dash.

are the sensors in the rims, do they slide into the rims? could they have been broken when the guys put the new tires on?

I guess I just don't know how the sensing works...

Thanks ahead of time...
biggles99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles99 View Post
Maybe I am not understanding this:

Is the TPMS sensor in the rim of the tire itself. I have "5425" aluminum rims for my normal tires on my 2010 2WD Colorado. I installed Snow Tries on separate rims ("5427" steel rims). And I am getting the tire pressure TPM error on the dash.

are the sensors in the rims, do they slide into the rims? could they have been broken when the guys put the new tires on?

I guess I just don't know how the sensing works...

Thanks ahead of time...
The TPMS sensor is part of the valve stem. If your new rims are not TPMS friendly then they were not installed onto the new wheels and you will have a light. I don't know how often they get broken from the shop. I'd have to guess that any reputable shop knows how to install them and therefore will not bust them on installation and not tell the customer.

Take a look at your valve stem and see if it looks normal. If so then you do not have the TMPS sensor installed. If they look a little more rigid than normal (they should also have a locknut on the base of the stem) then you have them. Double check your pressure in all 4 wheels making sure they are similar pressure and within a normal operating spec of lets say 30-35psi. I think I'm running 31.0 in the rear and 32.5 up front and I do not have lights glowing at me.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.