Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Oil Change Light

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  davn 
#1 ·
My truck is telling me I have to change my oil but i changed it probably 2 months ago and I havent even reached 3000 mi yet. I tried turning it off and it would go off until I start the truck back up. I read a thread on this but I cant find it. So any suggestions on how to reset this?

#2 ·
are you reseting your oil service light or just hitting the button until the light goes off? your operators manual that comes with the truck should tell you how to reset the oil life. but i think it goes something like this...turn your key to the run position and hit the gas pedel 3 time within 5 seconds then turn the truck on. if that doesn't work try it with the brake pedal. im not with my truck right now so im not positive. im sure that someone else will chime in anyways.

#4 ·
The light does not know you changed your oil 2 months ago with less than 3000 miles driven. You need to do a reset at every oil change.
BTW, I have never seen my oil change light in 4 years of ownership. I do change it every 3,000.

#5 ·
if you reset it with each oil change it rarely comes "on" before youve driven at least 10,000 miles , most owners do not wait that long therfore if they do reset it they may never have it come on..... Its such a simple device that causes so much confusion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.