Spare Tire - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spare Tire

How do you get the spare tire down under a 2005 GMC Canyon. I just bought one & i don't know how to do this. :(
libba46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Spare Tire

It has an explanation in your handbook. It's fairly straightforward. Be aware that the wingnut on the cable of the spare tire mount has a tendency to rust on. I got a flat and tried to change my tire and it wouldn't budge. Had to get a flatbed...Anyway the dealer had to replace the entire spare tire mount. Works fine now. I thought I'd send this tidbit along in case you had already tried to get the tire down and couldn't.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Chevalier89

There's a pouch under the passenger seat, Take out tire wrench and the rods. Connect em together and insert the rod into the hole insert on the rear bumper next to the license plate.

03 Chevy S10 Reg cab 2WD, black WT 4.3w/ auto.
08 GMC canyon Ext cab 4WD, Silver Birch Met. Lifted club member #297.
Chevalier89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crater137
It has an explanation in your handbook. It's fairly straightforward. Be aware that the wingnut on the cable of the spare tire mount has a tendency to rust on. I got a flat and tried to change my tire and it wouldn't budge. Had to get a flatbed...Anyway the dealer had to replace the entire spare tire mount. Works fine now. I thought I'd send this tidbit along in case you had already tried to get the tire down and couldn't.

I think this is the first thing I checked when bringing the truck home... making sure everything works and tire pressure is correct, I also greased my rim on the spare so it doesnt rust out with our yearly salt/snow blend. I bought my truck used and you never know how the person before you kept up with their vehicle.
SkyJacker AAL
TB Krank 3"
Rancho RS5000's
49" LED Tailgate Lightbar
AVS In-Channels
AVS Chrome Bug Deflector
SuperSparkz Coil Pack Spring Delete courtesy SuperModulation
K&N
Gutted Manifold Cat
PerforMaxx 1.5" Body Lift
My Truck, My Project, My Hobby:
BColoradoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

My buddy warned me about the cable rusting. So a few weeks ago we brought the tire and and he greased the cable... it's a weird system, but works fine... my only problem is I have no jack in my truck... previous owner must have kept it.... unless it is hidden somewhere?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Chevalier89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettCKM
My buddy warned me about the cable rusting. So a few weeks ago we brought the tire and and he greased the cable... it's a weird system, but works fine... my only problem is I have no jack in my truck... previous owner must have kept it.... unless it is hidden somewhere?

The rear cup holders is the housing holds the jack, Remove the screw(plastic wing-nut like design). But I'm sure you already knew this.

Check under the seats, otherwise the jackass previous owner probably did keep it.

03 Chevy S10 Reg cab 2WD, black WT 4.3w/ auto.
08 GMC canyon Ext cab 4WD, Silver Birch Met. Lifted club member #297.
Chevalier89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

There a nightmare. It took 2 of us 2hrs on the side of the road to get mine down from my chevy workvan. Beating and banging and then it would not raise back up had to take in for repairs. It would be a lot better if it was protected from weather
Old 09-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Xwd

Yep, typical cable spare tire system. All sorts of cars have them--at least it's not like the Toyota Sienna's which is prone to extreme corrosion (and unloading the spare tire unexpectedly at freeway speeds...) That'll keep ya from tailgating...

Best thing you can do is take it all apart in your garage or in the driveway and familiarize yourself with how it works. I'd say check it once a year to make sure it's in good working order, and check the spare for correct pressure every few months. Lube the cables and make sure everything works smoothly.

It's life-or-death out there on the side of a freeway/interstate. The fewer moments you have to spend f*cking around with putting on a spare, the better. And, when you're done, just wind up the cable and throw the flat in the bed. No need to string it up with the cable :)

The jack in the quad cabs is under the driver side rear seat, and the handle mechanism is under the passenger front seat. For ext cabs it's hidden under the plastic cupholder thingy in the back.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwd
Yep, typical cable spare tire system. All sorts of cars have them--at least it's not like the Toyota Sienna's which is prone to extreme corrosion (and unloading the spare tire unexpectedly at freeway speeds...) That'll keep ya from tailgating...

Best thing you can do is take it all apart in your garage or in the driveway and familiarize yourself with how it works. I'd say check it once a year to make sure it's in good working order, and check the spare for correct pressure every few months. Lube the cables and make sure everything works smoothly.

It's life-or-death out there on the side of a freeway/interstate. The fewer moments you have to spend f*cking around with putting on a spare, the better. And, when you're done, just wind up the cable and throw the flat in the bed. No need to string it up with the cable :)

The jack in the quad cabs is under the driver side rear seat, and the handle mechanism is under the passenger front seat. For ext cabs it's hidden under the plastic cupholder thingy in the back.
And it is under the plastic housing behind the seats in a reg. cab truck.

Call me Mr. Vanilla!!!
Unfettered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Unhappy Rust I will tell You Rusty

Had a flat on an expressway downtown Montreal no shoulders just about got ran over, first tried jack that came with vehicle could not lift high enough to get tire off ground, 1st owner must have taken original, towed to shop, they could not get tire to come down, rusted had to cut it off. Threw the sprare in the back box and away I went. Quote to install new system due to cable rust was $300.00. Who uses a cable to travel 1 foot? Very poor design. Took the whole assembly off, only 1 bolt and I'll try to get one from a scrap yard since the spare takes up to much room in the 5 ft box to go camping. You bet I will lubricate a couple times a year. What happened to couple bolts and a plastic cover to keep from the elements? Over engineered.
Crashdeicer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.