Sell my Canyon? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sell my Canyon?

So i own the 2005 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab. Its not 4x4 and doesnt have the Z71 Suspension. Everywhere I see other colorado and canyon trucks they are sitting taller than mine and it makes me sick. ing cant figure out why my truck sits lower than the rest of them and why my front end tends to lean forward.

I want a lifted truck and in 24 hours I have the funds to do so. I used to want the XD rockstar black matte rims but they only come in 18's and I keep hearing thats too big for 33in tires, which are pretty much standard for lifted trucks.

I cant seem to find the right lift kit for what I want. A more aggresive look to my truck, the ability to hit a moderate to easy offraod trail, NOT MUD, NOT ROCK climbing, just something leasurely. But I keep hearing theres no point because my truck isnt 4x4.

Pretty much I've saved all of this money to repaint my truck at MAACO ($1900) as well as lift the truck and get the rim and tire package I wanted (If at all possible it would work) but now I wonder.

Should I sell or trade my truck for a Canyon/Colorado Ext Cab with 4x4 and the already aggresive ride height? Or should I stick it out go with my orginal plans and make m truck the way I want it to be, Lifted, sitting on some sick ass wheels and tires that make the 's drop?

I need the know. I need to know now your opinions. I love these trucks and I couldnt imagine another truck to own.
Leonthefaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Only you can really answer that one man.. Do you want or do you have to have 4 wheel drive? You lift the truck you have now to have the aggressive look to it. You can go with a 2" TB crank and shackles in the back (cheapest way) or you can go out and buy you a rancho or skyjacker 4" lift. If you're looking to clear 33"s you MAY be able to clear them with the 2" lift but you will have a ton more clearance if you went with a 4" lift..
K&N CAI
MBRP Single Side Exit
32"x11.5" BFG KM2
Offroad Club# 8
Lifted Club Member# 434
beamans10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

It would be cheaper to get a lift kit rather than to go out and buy a new truck. But as Beamans10 stated, if you want/need 4X4 then you may want to get a new truck... I'm not sure but I could have sworn I saw someone on here with the Rockstars and 33" (or maybe 32") and I thought it looked darn good.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

It appears that you may live in Hawaii ? If that is the case then its not likely that 4wd would be practical on a day to day basis. Many guys have had very successful off road trips with their 2wd trucks particularly with the g80 locker. In any case I would think that lifting and new rubber plus 100-200lbs in the bed when hitting the trails and common sense would get you most anywhere and back. I would make sure you have recovery points front and rear and carry a come along or winch in addition to some recovery straps and most importantly do not go alone.. You should be fine. If you are otherwise happy with the vehicle why switch. Now if you lived in mountains with 6 months of winter or swampy lowlands i might advise differently.

2006 3.5L, Crew Cab, Z71, Dark Metallic Red
Gift from wife Christmas 2007 (21000 miles)
Reached 100,000 miles on 1/28/13
110,000 miles on 10/22/13
davn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Your right, I shouldnt just abondon my truck. I dont see a valid reason why I require 4x4. Maybe what I really WANT is to have a better offroad capable suspension. Which I'm sure there is an aftermarket one that suits what I want. A once in awhile weekend warrior truck.

Readylift makes a kit, but seeing is how I'm new to trucks and modifications, I'm constantly searching for the "right" lift. When really I need expert opinion.

But ultimately, I'm leaning more towards not selling my truck, getting the bed liner redone, getting the interior professionally cleaned, attempting to fix the paint, lift, rim and tire package suitable for hitting the trails, and a kickass sound system to play my dubstep
Leonthefaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, tough question. It sounds like all you really want is something clean, and clean looking. Aside from the occasional trail ride. If you have the money, get a real suspension lift.

Keep in mind if you look for a leveling kit that you need to get the one for coil springs, not torsion bars.

Stop giving yourself a headache over why your truck is lower than others, and why it's low in the front. Simple answer, it's how it was designed. The non off road trucks don't need clearance or 'good' suspension so it sits lower, and ALL trucks are low in the front from the factory. The intent is that a truck will carry cargo. When you load hundreds of pounds in the bed it sqats and sits level. If it starts out as level then you load it, you're sagging the rear. A work truck (W/T) may even be more exaggerated than a Z85.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

You could lift a 2wd truck, but the frame can't handle the stress of the lift very well.

My suggestion would be to get a 4wd Colorado or Canyon.

Now down to one 355. The 07 Regular Cab.
2004CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

u can lift a 2wd just fine....lots of people do it....some of the biggest trucks on here are 2wd....just figure out wat ur want...its not any bodys truck but urs....i might tell u one thing someone else will tell u something different...and u might not like either idea....just calm down and think it out....then come back with a question we can help ya with...(i want 3inches of lift wat should i get) or (wat size tire can i fit)...something thats not an opinion....
Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda22 View Post
u can lift a 2wd just fine....lots of people do it....some of the biggest trucks on here are 2wd....just figure out wat ur want...its not any bodys truck but urs....i might tell u one thing someone else will tell u something different...and u might not like either idea....just calm down and think it out....then come back with a question we can help ya with...(i want 3inches of lift wat should i get) or (wat size tire can i fit)...something thats not an opinion....
There is some great advise in this post.

Now down to one 355. The 07 Regular Cab.
2004CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.