K&N Air Filter.... yes / no? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

K&N Air Filter.... yes / no?

I have a 2006 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab with the 3.5 in it. Wanted to ask if anyone has just the K&N air filter. If so can you see a difference in the mileage? I want to replace my current OEM filter and just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the K&N. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 AM

I've heard it gives a slight improvement in performance and mpg, but wether its enough to warrant the high cost of the K&N, im not sure.

06 EC WT 2.8L I4 3.73
Tint
Sony CDX-GT300 HU
BAJA foglamps
Deezee toolbox
Hunter Grillgaurd (now removed)
GM bedmat
Billet Grill overlay
Z71 rims w/ BFG 31x10.5 All Terrains
Pioneer TS-G671M speakers
Silverado Overhead console

My Cardomain
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJays Saleen View Post
I have a 2006 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab with the 3.5 in it. Wanted to ask if anyone has just the K&N air filter. If so can you see a difference in the mileage? I want to replace my current OEM filter and just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the K&N. Thanks.

I have the K&N filter in stock air box and the AIRDOC intake, cams sound loud now, never heard them before. Got a little better gas mileage nothing to brag about though, maybe 1-3 miles better at points. Horsepower gain was like 10.25 the sheet had stated when they tested it. no more buying filters, clean the k&n every 6 months for best performance, just clean every 6 months, throw it back in, after i dries, and your ready to go again.

to answer your question, stock intake, just a filter i noticed even a little difference, money well spent in my impression.

211colorado
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211colorado View Post
I have the K&N filter in stock air box and the AIRDOC intake, cams sound loud now, never heard them before. Got a little better gas mileage nothing to brag about though, maybe 1-3 miles better at points. Horsepower gain was like 10.25 the sheet had stated when they tested it. no more buying filters, clean the k&n every 6 months for best performance, just clean every 6 months, throw it back in, after i dries, and your ready to go again.

to answer your question, stock intake, just a filter i noticed even a little difference, money well spent in my impression.
X2

I also ran the k & n filter with stock intake for a while. I noticed a small improvement in MPG.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM

I worry about the maintenance on K&N-style filters, and the risk of over-oiling them (have heard too much oil, you'll mess up the MAF sensor, etc.). Call me lazy, but even if I put on a "fancy" intake, such as the Air Doc or Volant or something else, I'd probably still run a regular filter, and just swap it out as it gets dirty. Easy & cheap. :)
JScottM likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211colorado View Post

I have been pondering over whether or not to switch to the K&N air-filter.

I noticed that they have two different recharge kits- the cream oil and the spray oil? Which do you use?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 AM

I have K&N in my 11 Canyon. Maybe .5 MPG increase.
Engine noise a little louder.Seat of pants, feels like more HP.
Going thru a deep water puddle, priceless,
as other cars stopped and sitting in the water.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442_mike View Post
I worry about the maintenance on K&N-style filters, and the risk of over-oiling them (have heard too much oil, you'll mess up the MAF sensor, etc.). Call me lazy, but even if I put on a "fancy" intake, such as the Air Doc or Volant or something else, I'd probably still run a regular filter, and just swap it out as it gets dirty. Easy & cheap. :)
Not much maintenance at all really, only clean it when its dirty, no other maintenance besides that. The airdoc is only $145-155, where KanN is a lot more money. For the airdoc and filter I think its worth the money to save gas and mileage. Have you ever owned one, I thought to myself before I bought an intake, " god what a waste", but to be honest with you, never had a vehicle without one yet, since I bought my first intake. I would have to say, if you over oil it, meaning dump the bottle on it. Then ya it will cause an issue, as long as its not like dripping with oil, your ok. Let it dry before throwing it in. It usually only takes me 1 hour, from start to finish, counting letting it dry to.

211colorado
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 AM

have been pondering over whether or not to switch to the K&N air-filter.

I noticed that they have two different recharge kits- the cream oil and the spray oil? Which do you use?
"Quote"

I use the KanN spray oil, have for all 5 intakes that I have had in life now.

211colorado

Last edited by 211colorado; 05-01-2012 at 07:25 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Whats this other trick I've heard some people talk about... Where they remove a reducer from the stock air box?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Whats this other trick I've heard some people talk about... Where they remove a reducer from the stock air box?
Yeah the stock air box is quite restrictive, the snorkel that takes in air from the fender well is small in diameter.

I think there is a "how to" on the Canadian site... ca355.com.

Or look up Zeuce here on this site. I think he did that mod on his trucks air box.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM

If you see an increase in mileage...It is because you are driving more carefully.

I have posted this many times. The air/fuel ratio is controlled by the engine computer. You cannot get any better mileage with a low retriction filter, just as you cannnot get worse mileage with a high restriction filter.

The mesurements are taken downstream of the filter. Less air in means less fuel.

You can get more power at high rpm/high load conditions with low restriction filter. But that means you will use more fuel due to your lead foot.

If the manufacturers thought these K&N filters would raise mileage they would incorporate the design into the vehicles.

Note that K&N does not claim MPG's as a feature.
JScottM likes this.

2009 Canyon V8 (LH-8 Off-Road (Z71) SLT Extended Cab
BakFlip HD Bed Cover over OEM GM Side Rail Covers and Tailgate Spoiler
AMP RESEARCH Bed Extender
Motorola TK30 Bluetooth Car Kit w/QCGM-2 harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Mats
Garmin 2797 7"GPS w/ecoRouteHD, Valley V82641 Hitch
Custom Bully GMC Hitch Stop/Tail Lamp
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Not sure but I am no help. Think the only thing I seen was the earlier years had that. Not the newer years, but I am not sure. Sorry I couldn't be much help

211colorado
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
There's lots of them - ranging from adding a "ram air" snorkel to the stock air box intake, to replacing the pipe that goes between the air box & the throttle body ("resonator delete" mod), to adding extra cold air tubes into the air box, to clipping out all the insides of the air box and sanding it down, to make everything inside it smoother... heck, I even saw one how-to where the guy had stuck a 12V computer power supply fan into his box, with an air tube, to draw in a ton of fresh cool air... gets to be there's so many options, it's almost hard to decide which to do! Whatever you decide, it's pretty awesome having a truck that we can do so many cool mods to.

Last edited by 442_mike; 05-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:59 PM

I also ran the k & n filter with stock intake for a while. I noticed a small improvement in MPG.

Last edited by Jimmijackson; 05-02-2012 at 09:32 PM.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM

NAPA Gold filter for me. ditched my K&N

GM Truck Central Air Filter Testing Study
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to taterguy Send a message via MSN to taterguy Send a message via Yahoo to taterguy
Performance is about the same the only difference is you are not paying full price for a filter every 30k miles to get a new one. I've had mine for about a year and I've not seen any difference in power or gas. $9.00 for a recharge kit (multiple uses) vs. $18.00 each time an air filter is needed.

Have a good one.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Anyone besides me ever use the AEM performance (oem replacement) filter? I recently put one in my 2011 I5 (no opinion yet). It is engineered by K & N. Good thing is, no oil. Still have to clean it but no oiling it.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
I changed the stock air filter with an oiled K&N recently in my 2012 3.7. Didn't notice much in power difference, but the mileage went up almost 1mpg after two months of usage so far. I fill up once a week with the, mostly, highway driving I do and it's pretty significant (uses 1 gallon a week less now).

'66 VW 11-window Bus (Disks, injected, bags)
'12 Chevy Colorado 2WD (Truetrac) 3.7 Crew Cab
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:08 PM

Garage
If you like spending hundreds for more dirt in your engine, to maybe gain 5hp that you will never notice, then go for it.

The best thing you can do for your engine air-wise is and always has been to change the stock filter regularly. Engines are not starved for air. If these "cold air intakes" are so great then why don't manufacturers offer them stock on all vehicles?

I give K&N an A for marketing though. Just like Subway, convincing people it's healthy to eat a loaf of bread for lunch, K&N has succeeded in convincing people that it's ok to let more dirt into your engine, which is the very opposite of the purpose of the air filter.
JScottM likes this.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers

Last edited by Randall Conway; 03-25-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode