5 cyl towing capacity - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 cyl towing capacity

new to the forum, i know you guys are probly always getting questions about towing, but im looking to buy a colorado because i want to trailer my car but also get decent gas mileage.

picture of the car, it will also have about 1,000 lbs extra inside the vehicle

this car will only be on the trailer for a couple hours. no long hauls

heres a couple trucks iv been looking at

2008 Chevy Colorado

2004 Chevy Colorado Ext. Cab 3.5L 5cyl. Vortec.

'08 Chevy Colorado

thanks for any help
swaggasaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

you probably wont be impressed if you buy a 355 for its gas mileage...dont get me wrong, i freakin love my truck. but as for gas mileage yes it will be better than a 6.0 full size but no you probably wont see 25 mpg very often.
Mods: Home Made Resonator Delete, Ultra 5150 15x8 wheels w/ 3.75 backspace, Corvette Intermediate Servo, Billet overdrive servo, Custom front recovery bar with hitch, Line-x Spray in Bedliner, Pro Comp AAL 1.5", 2" custom shackle, 2" tbar crank
Future Mods: Custom skid plates, Custom Rock sliders, E-fan
jeff.d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

And you definitely won't see good mileage towing either.

Some people on here tow a lot and say it is just fine, which indicates to me that it gets equal mileage empty as loaded, pulls hills in O.D and motors all day with no issues at 65.

To me, you can tow alright but this vehicle isn't a tow vehicle.

You may choose to look into a trans cooler and perhaps servos. There is a how to here for installing corvette servos that work well I guess. Firms up and the shifts and makes it a quicker shift too. Maybe even a tune.

What are you looking at, maybe 6,000lbs max? You should consider the Z71 option as it has a 4.10 rear end option. Go for the 3.7l over the 3.5l engine option too. Figure the engine is rated for about 240hp at high rpm, which you don't be driving at max HP all the time either. I don't remember the tow capacity but that is something to consider when looking at your total payload. Also double check the combined vehicle weight (truck and trailer) if you plan to load up the truck with gear/supplies also.

Many people on here tow quite often, not sure if they use it as a car hauler though.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I believe the towing capacity is some thing like 3900 pounds. not much, but it is a 5 cyl.
1.5 inch body lift/ 2 inch AAL in rear/ 2 inch torsion keys/ zone offroad shocks/ Procomp rock crawler 97 series wheels/ 32x11R15 Cooper mud terrains/ K&N cold air intake/ MBRP stainless single exit exhaust/ Airaid Throttle body spacer/ Infinity Kappa 63.9i's/ Lifted Club member #471
trailfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

The published towing capacities for the Colorado are all over the place depending on cab type, year, engine size, and transmission. The biggest impediment (drag) while towing is wind resistance of the trailer and what is on it. Weight is a secondary concern only when going up large hills and when braking.

I tow various trailers all the time. I tow everything from snowmobiles and Jet Skis to my John Deere Diesel tractor on a heavy 4 wheels trailer. That thing with the heaviest attachments is 9,500 pounds. I never tow it more than about 75 miles one way. Lighter but larger box type trailers have the most impact on mileage. Also keep in mind that this is flat land country so I'm not usually dragging trailers up and down large hills.

Tomorrow I'm towing a light weight 2 wheel snowmobile trailer with a washer and dryer on it for about 180 miles.

I have a 2005 Z71 5 cylinder automatic with 3.42 differential It will pull those loads with no problem. Granted, with high resistance loads or in heavy winds I occasionally I have to pull it down to 3rd gear to keep it from shifting in and out of overdrive excessively.

Towing your proposed load, I strongly suggest that you install an transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller. Also make sure your heavier (over 2500 or 3000 pounds) trailers have working trailer brakes.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

5500 lbs is the rated capacity for my 2012 crew I5
Se pic from the owners manual:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg towing.JPG (140.4 KB, 188 views)

2009 1LT Crewcab Z85 2.9 L4 2WD Deep Red (Wife)
2011 1LT Crewcab Z85 2.9 L4 2WD Summit White (Brother)
2012 2LT Crewcab Z71 3.7 L5 4x4 Deep Navy (My ride)
fitsector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good info on here guys! I definately didnt buy my truck as a towing rig but since I do have to tow stuff from time to time the colorado is a nice middle ground between a full size pick up and a honda civic!
Mods: Home Made Resonator Delete, Ultra 5150 15x8 wheels w/ 3.75 backspace, Corvette Intermediate Servo, Billet overdrive servo, Custom front recovery bar with hitch, Line-x Spray in Bedliner, Pro Comp AAL 1.5", 2" custom shackle, 2" tbar crank
Future Mods: Custom skid plates, Custom Rock sliders, E-fan
jeff.d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggasaur View Post
new to the forum, i know you guys are probly always getting questions about towing, but im looking to buy a colorado because i want to trailer my car but also get decent gas mileage.

picture of the car, it will also have about 1,000 lbs extra inside the vehicle

this car will only be on the trailer for a couple hours. no long hauls

heres a couple trucks iv been looking at

2008 Chevy Colorado

2004 Chevy Colorado Ext. Cab 3.5L 5cyl. Vortec.

'08 Chevy Colorado

thanks for any help
swaggasaur,

Towing weights will vary based on engine, axle ratio and transmission.

For the 2008 model, please refer to pages 4-41 through 4-60 of the owner’s manual. For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ado_owners.pdf

For the 2004 model, please refer to pages 4-45 through 4-69 of the owner’s manual. For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...t-Colorado.pdf

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cool

Rant mode ON
I really wish people would not think this way "this car will only be on the trailer for a couple hours. no long hauls" If it can't safely handle a long haul, it can't safely go around the block. As they say, most accidents happen within 20 miles from home and an emergency braking situation is far more likely around town.

That said, I don't recommend going over 75% of the rated capacity unless you're in a dedicated towing rig, think Silverado 2500HD to tow your rig, likely approaching 6000 lb on a dual axle trailer, the car alone is near 4K. Any compromises with towing capacity are not just fuel mileage.
VetteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to naskie18

The 2008 trucks should be higher rated for towing than the 2004.

That being said, I tow a 16' enclosed trailer weighing about #3000 empty with my '04 pretty frequently and it does just fine. (By the way, "just fine" doesn't mean it does the same as unloaded, that's ridiculous. It gets about 10mpg towing my trailer, and you definitely know it's there. My definition of "just fine" is that it doesn't accelerate slower than normal traffic, isn't running at what I consider abnormally high RPMs, and doesn't seem labored during braking....though obviously that'll depend a lot of whether you have trailer brakes and whether they're set appropriately.)

I don't know they weight of your car or trailer, but you'd have to have that information available to properly evaluate whether the truck can tow it well.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

naskie18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.