Won't start/New Fuel Pump - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Won't start/New Fuel Pump

First off, thank you all for all the information I've gotten from this forum over the years, your help has been invaluable.

Ok, so I have a 2004 I5 4WD with 87k miles. About 3 months ago, I was driving it daily and out of the blue, it wouldn't start. Would turn over and over, but no combustion and I had just driven it 15 minutes earlier. Tried it probably 10 times and no go. After calling for a tow truck, I tried it about 20 minutes later it did start, so I took it to a garage. They said I had a bad fuel pump. $600 later, I had the fuel pump replaced.

I've had no issues since, but today I was driving it all day, then out of the blue, it turns over but doesn't start. Again, I tried about 10 times and it just won't start. What is going on?

Further info : About a year ago I followed the recommendation of this forum and did the full throttle body cleanup, sea foam chamber cleanup, and replaced the plugs with iridium. I also put in a new fuel filter.

Any help is much appreciated as I don't trust the garage that hasn't fixed my problem.

Last edited by lemmster1234; 03-18-2013 at 09:05 PM.
lemmster1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Same exact thing happened to my truck today. Just out if nowhere wouldn't turn on. My truck just went to a family friend's garage so he will actually fix the problem
adababe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like it could be the passlock problem. That is GM's anti-theft system. It likes to fail randomly. If you notice it happen again, check you dash for the illumination of the passlock icon. It is an icon of a truck with a padlock over it. You didn't say that it stalled, so I'm led to believe you didn't have a mechanical failure.

It usually takes 15 minutes and it will start up. If you have experienced this scenario then I would expect it be the passlock and not something else.

For anybody else reading this, seaform and throttle body cleaning doesn't contribute to the engine not starting.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

got to agree with 08canyon, sounds like a passlock problem, your fuel pump was probably fine.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I didn't have that pass lock on mine and it never turned back on just cranked and cranked
adababe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had a similar issue with my 06 I4. I came out of a ballgame and it would crank and not start. I got under the truck and kicked the fuel tank and it started up. Made it home with no issues. So I think I will need a fuel pump soon.

Two weeks later leaving the store with friends.. same issue, crank no start. Kick the fuel tank and nothing happened. Had it towed to my shop and ordered the $300 Delco pump. The truck gets to my shop and starts right up. Classic sign of fuel pump.

Reluctant to put it in, I had my OBD powered (no battery) scan tool hooked up to it looking at data while I started it. It shut off once when the truck finally decided not to start.

Long story short, my battery cover had worked off the negative battery terminal a little bit where it was not making full contact with the terminal. Even though the truck cranked fine, the current draw from the starter dropped current to the PCM and electronics causing the PCM to not fire the fuel pump.

All I needed was to reset my battery terminals.

Also as 08 suggested, look at the security light on the dash to see if the light is flashing when it does not start. If so, then you need a new ignition cylinder.
extremity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback, yes it was the Passlock system. I noticed a lock icon when it was starting but didn't think anything of it. After letting it sit for 30 minutes, it started right up. I'm a bit frustrated that I spent $600 for nothing, but I guess that's an expensive lesson to never use that shop again.

Also, I know that the throttle body cleanup, seafoam, etc had nothing to do with it not starting. I was merely mentioning that in advance in case someone thought I needed to do that.

Thanks again
lemmster1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

On the bright side, you don't have to worry about a fuel pump failure in the near future.

What I find suspicious though is that when it arrived at the shop you truck still didn't start. Withing 15 minutes of failure the truck usually starts which I would think to be well inside of the time took to get your truck to the shop.

I've read some actually say that they have called for a tow and the problem was corrected either when the tow driver showed up, or when it dropped off at home.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

When mine did that I was locked out for differenttimes.. typically first thing on wet mornings. Depending on the number of times I attempted to crank it set different codes with different set the lockout times.

Still the shop just assumed it was the 'classic chevy fuel pump'. Wrong by them.
extremity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

We don't know what the shop assumed. The pump circuit could have been dead if/when they tested it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.