Traitors - My two cents - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

And BTW, I seen a bowtie yesterday that was black with chrome edging that looked good cause it matched his truck. Didn't look crappy at all. These are not what I meant about "blacked out".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Colorado Ext. 4X4 View Post
True, true. But does it seem the same to black it out completely as it does to just change the color? Maybe a lot of people don't see it the same as I do but to me you may as well have put a big black "X" over it. After all, think what the color black represents traditionally. Or maybe some people don't mind cheap looking mods. Here's an example. Would look so much better removed or left alone.
Is that a FFFFFford on a Chevy site ? trader.... I cant tell the emblems are blacked out!!! not, moderators are aloud a opinion....

Lfted Member #465
06 Z71 Colorado 4x4
Rancho 5000 Series
2.5 TB'S 2.5 Skyjacker AAL
17 inch Eagle Alloys
275/70/17 bfg's
Diff Drop
35% 3M Window Tint
Spectra CAI
KC daylighters

Last edited by crosscutts; 07-07-2013 at 10:10 AM.
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

You're missing the whole point. It looks like ****! Like putting a black blob over a tattoo of your ex-girlfriend's name. (A big "X" would be better, lol.) Sure it's making a statement but about what? There's a difference between blacking out and modifying an emblem.
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscutts View Post
Is that a FFFFFford on a Chevy site ? trader.... I cant tell the emblems are blacked out!!! not, moderators are aloud a opinion....
Word!

2006 Colorado Z71 4X4 LT
4" Tuff Country lift
2" body lift
Gibson dual exhaust
K&N Cold Air Intake
Red painted bezels
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
You're missing the whole point. It looks like ****! Like putting a black blob over a tattoo of your ex-girlfriend's name. (A big "X" would be better, lol.) Sure it's making a statement but about what? There's a difference between blacking out and modifying an emblem.
No, you're missing the point.

We're not putting a big black box over the emblem. It isn't a big swipe/roll of paint trying to cover something up. It's just a color change, because we like the new color better.

The emblem is still there, certainly displaying the brand. Maybe it's black on black and doesn't stand out as much as the gold/chrome stock color, but matches the color scheme of the truck much better. Maybe it's a black bowtie on a yellow truck, which actually stands out more....but yet you still think that's an attempt to hide something?

For argument's sake:

Stock:

Same truck in the top left corner, but with a black bowtie:

The black one jumps out much more, you could say it even draws attention to it compared to the stock gold one that blends in with the yellow.

Here's an older picture of my truck, do you really think a gold bowtie on the front would look as good as the black one, which matches the rest of the color scheme? You may even notice I painted the bowties in the wheel center caps black, which I think also draws attention to them, rather than covering them up like you claim.

[EDIT]
Maybe the problem is you're trying to compare it to a Ford, where the logo has something written on it? The Chevy and GMC logos don't lose anything when you change the color, there isn't any script which gets covered up, it's really just a color change.

Last edited by naskie18; 07-07-2013 at 08:36 PM.
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 PM

Until someone else buys my vehicle for me, I'm gonna do what I dang well please with it.

I also make the dealer remove their dealer name from the back of my new vehicles --- I write it on the contract......I actually had one dealer take an extra $200 off the negotiated price to leave it on. OK, I just removed it when I got home.

Canyon Z85 2wd Crew
K&N 77 Series
Fold-a-cover
Toyo Open Country H/T's
Herculiner bed coating
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
I actually had one dealer take an extra $200 off the negotiated price to leave it on. OK, I just removed it when I got home.

Good deal... I gonna remember that one

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskie18 View Post
No, you're missing the point.

We're not putting a big black box over the emblem. It isn't a big swipe/roll of paint trying to cover something up. It's just a color change, because we like the new color better.

The emblem is still there, certainly displaying the brand. Maybe it's black on black and doesn't stand out as much as the gold/chrome stock color, but matches the color scheme of the truck much better. Maybe it's a black bowtie on a yellow truck, which actually stands out more....but yet you still think that's an attempt to hide something?

For argument's sake:

Stock:

Same truck in the top left corner, but with a black bowtie:

The black one jumps out much more, you could say it even draws attention to it compared to the stock gold one that blends in with the yellow.

Here's an older picture of my truck, do you really think a gold bowtie on the front would look as good as the black one, which matches the rest of the color scheme? You may even notice I painted the bowties in the wheel center caps black, which I think also draws attention to them, rather than covering them up like you claim.

[EDIT]
Maybe the problem is you're trying to compare it to a Ford, where the logo has something written on it? The Chevy and GMC logos don't lose anything when you change the color, there isn't any script which gets covered up, it's really just a color change.
Maybe you haven't been keeping up with this or maybe I'm not very good at explaining what I'm trying to say here. Your yellow truck looks great and the black one looks pretty good too. This is not an example of what I've been talking about. Maybe I should have explained it better like covering them up to blend in with the truck. If your grill is solid black and you paint the emblem black, it's covering it up in my opinion. I see trucks of all makes like this all the time and those are the ones I'm referring about. Doing this to any truck shows a lack of pride in what you own. At least that's the message I get from it regardless of how they feel.
And BTW, my grill is white and black and my bowtie is black with gold trim which I think makes it stand out.
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe you haven't been keeping up with this or maybe I'm not very good at explaining what I'm trying to say here. Your yellow truck looks great and the black one looks pretty good too. This is not an example of what I've been talking about. Maybe I should have explained it better like covering them up to blend in with the truck.
You're right, that makes much more sense...I interpreted "blacking out" as actually painting it black, not painting it body colored.

I'm still not sure I believe people who paint it body color are trying to "cover it up", my guess is they're just going for a solid look, trying to minimize the distractions.

If they wanted to hide what they were driving, they could get a billet grille and replace the stock one, removing it entirely...if you wanted to consider anybody "embarrassed" and "trying to hide the make", I think that'd be a better step....but in the end I still think it's just about the look people like, not (at least, typically) trying to hide the brand.
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

And maybe they're not trying to cover it up but that's what it ends up looking like regardless and I personally get a different message from a halfassed attempt to give it a smoother, cleaner look. Had I painted mine solid white to blend in with the background color I would feel as if I covered it up as well. And BTW, a GMC logo is script. It says GMC right there on the grill. I'm not comparing this to any particular brand. I've seen this crap on every make I can think of at the moment. A cover up is a cover up in my opinion and I think it's a **** shame that people don't have a bit more pride.... no matter what they're driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10Colorado 7-8-13.jpg (164.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by 10 Colorado Ext. 4X4; 07-08-2013 at 10:58 PM.
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 AM

That's what it ends up looking like to you.
What the owner thinks is always priority one though.

So it's all pretty moot.

2005 I4, Z85
7" Touch Screen Double DIN
Paint matched Bumper
Decals removed
Door "bumpers" removed
MB TKO Wheels
Goodyear 255/45/20s
Custom Painted Hood stripe

"Failure only occurs when you stop trying"
post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
And BTW, a GMC logo is script. It says GMC right there on the grill.
Yes, it says GMC, but it isn't a script on the logo like the Ford oval. It's block letters and that doesn't change when you paint them, it still says GMC, it's just a different color than red. The Ford you used as an example actually has a script in the oval, and if you paint that it will "hide" the script, making it unreadable.

I bet if you were to take a poll of the people who's vehicles you see like that, they'd all say they did it because they like the look, not because they're embarrassed they're driving a <insert make here>.
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 AM

I would be embarrassed if I drove a Ford. I would have to wear a wig and sunglasses all the time I drove it and hope no one recognized me.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskie18 View Post
Yes, it says GMC, but it isn't a script on the logo like the Ford oval. It's block letters and that doesn't change when you paint them, it still says GMC, it's just a different color than red. The Ford you used as an example actually has a script in the oval, and if you paint that it will "hide" the script, making it unreadable.

I bet if you were to take a poll of the people who's vehicles you see like that, they'd all say they did it because they like the look, not because they're embarrassed they're driving a <insert make here>.

I'm sure they would... even if it were true. When I used the word embarrassed I was being sarcastic, not literal. And to be truthful, when I used the term "blacked out" I guess its because most of the trucks out there with "covered up" emblems are black. Crap like that just spells CHEAP to me. Being in the automotive business it just turns my stomach to see poorly done mods. Like I said from the beginning, it don't matter what brand you're driving, show a little pride in your ride.
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

And an ever bigger trend that boggles my mind.... what's up with these jacked up cars on 24's ? I swear I always want to look underneath for a transfer case. ( More sarcasm ) Talk about looking like S**T !!!
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM

I'll agree with you on that, the "donk" cars look silly, and lose almost all functionality at the same time.

And they always seem to be done to cars that are worth less than the rims cost...never mind the other few grand rebuilding the whole suspension to get it all to fit!

And they make our 40ft+ turning radius look impressively tight! hahahaha

2005 I4, Z85
Paint matched Bumper
Decals removed
Door "bumpers" removed
MB TKO Wheels
Goodyear 255/45/20s

post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishrich View Post
I'll agree with you on that, the "donk" cars look silly, and lose almost all functionality at the same time.

And they always seem to be done to cars that are worth less than the rims cost...never mind the other few grand rebuilding the whole suspension to get it all to fit!

And they make our 40ft+ turning radius look impressively tight! hahahaha
I get them in the shop all the time for alignments. The front end is completely shot and I give them ridiculous estimates and tell them it will still drive and handle like crap due to the car was not meant to have wheels and tires big enough for a 4X4. That usually runs them off cause I don't want to work on a piece of junk to begin with.
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM

I don't mind taking anyone's money for their bad decisions. It pays me more :)
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremity View Post
I don't mind taking anyone's money for their bad decisions. It pays me more :)
I don't mind either but I'm gonna charge extra for working on junk. There's always something that makes it harder to get right again. Then I just hope the parts can live through their warrantee so I can sell them too next time around. lol

No matter how much sugar you put on a pile of Sh*t, its still a piece of sh*t.
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 AM

I heard a comedian say last night, "you can't polish a turd...but you can roll it in glitter"

hahahahahahahahaha

Sounds like a bling-ed out 94 Crown Vic on 24s to me :)

2005 I4, Z85
Paint matched Bumper
Decals removed
Door "bumpers" removed
MB TKO Wheels
Goodyear 255/45/20s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode