Traitors - My two cents - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Traitors - My two cents

Has anyone else noticed a trend of people blacking out their Bow Ties on the grill ? And not just Chevy's.... People are doing this to all brands of trucks. My two cents on this is, " if you're not a proud owner of your particular brand of truck, get rid of it! You're a traitor! " If you're ashamed of driving the **** thing to the point of blacking out all the emblems you have no business owning it to begin with. A real MF is proud to display his Bow Tie !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM

You assume that blacking out the badge is because they're trying to hide what it is?

My bowtie has been blacked out for years (though it has a blue border around it). Same with the ones on the doors and the tailgate. It's not because I'm trying to hide that it's a Chevy, but rather because the color scheme on my truck is blue and black, and the silver/gold of the stock bowtie doesn't match at all.
ferg Z71 likes this.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

This thread is high on my list of stupidest threads ever...

Blacking out grilles/emblems has to do with personal taste and color schemes of the vehicle. If you need to see a "bow tie" to tell if a certain vehicle is a Chevy, well...

Don't accuse people of "hiding" when they are just personalizing their vehicle
drewabbs, Janster, robbpoe and 2 others like this.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 07-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Colorado Ext. 4X4 View Post
Has anyone else noticed a trend of people blacking out their Bow Ties on the grill ? And not just Chevy's.... People are doing this to all brands of trucks. My two cents on this is, " if you're not a proud owner of your particular brand of truck, get rid of it! You're a traitor! " If you're ashamed of driving the **** thing to the point of blacking out all the emblems you have no business owning it to begin with. A real MF is proud to display his Bow Tie !!!
Why are you getting your panties in a knot over what other people do to their own vehicles?
robbpoe likes this.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM

It's his two cents, he see's it one way we see it another. But probably after reading this thread he now realizes blacking out your bowtie isn't because of shame. And what about the people who completly debage a vehicle?? its been goin on since people have been customizing cars..Don't let it upset ya broham. Dat's my two cents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 ZQ8, Ext.Cab, 5.3-V8, Black
And a set of bald rear tires.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Going UP!

Send a message via AIM to blurred
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDAP View Post
This thread is high on my list of stupidest threads ever...
Not exactly the response I would expect from a mod. Just my two cents.

Quote:
A real MF is proud to display his Bow Tie
I personally like the look of customized logos. I've seen anything from hot pink to transparent. Chevy pride at any color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-BALL View Post
And what about the people who completly debage a vehicle?? its been goin on since people have been customizing cars.
I've seen it.. not a big fan, but at least it gives people/police a run for their knowledge.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to disappoint you... just my 2 cents

Just think its a bit silly calling someone a "traitor" for blacking out an emblem

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 07-04-2013 at 08:56 PM.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 PM

ha i agree with greg. if you're a traitor or ashamed of driving your vehicle i dont think you would have bought it in the first place?
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:22 AM

Hey, this is not bad.

On another forum I belong to they have been arguing and calling each other idiots and worse for weeks over what octane fuel to use in a 1600 cc econo-box car. At least 75% of the posters on that topic have no clue what they are talking about on the subject.

At least here people are civil and expressing their opinions / choices with respect.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 AM

The Pride lies with the Bow Tie, not the color of it.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Interesting - In all the years of modding and admiring other mods not once I have ever made the connection between blacked out emblems (or even removed entirely) and "hiding" from what you own.

If anything, the type of people who do those mods are more proud than your average owner because all aesthetic mods have an element of "look at me"...you wouldn't do that if you were ashamed.

I have much more of a problem with errant additions to emblems that make no sense, like a late 90s mustang I used to see all the time that had a mercedes "Kompressor" badge on it LMAO

2005 I4, Z85
7" Touch Screen Double DIN
Paint matched Bumper
Decals removed
Door "bumpers" removed
MB TKO Wheels
Goodyear 255/45/20s
Custom Painted Hood stripe

"Failure only occurs when you stop trying"
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM

2004 Canyon 3.5L 4x4 Z85 SLE

- Engine Tune by Mike of Saint Peters, MO
- MBRP Cat Back Exhaust
- AEM Air Intake
- 100% L.E.D. Lighting
- 8000k HID Hi's,Lo's,Fogs
- 7" Pioneer App Radio 2
- MP-500 Alpine Amplifier w/ 2 x 12" Subwoofers
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremity View Post

I personally like the look of customized logos. I've seen anything from hot pink to transparent. Chevy pride at any color.

I've seen it.. not a big fan, but at least it gives people/police a run for their knowledge.

Oops, sorry I haven't been keeping up with this post. Been busy. Blacking out a badge isn't a custom mod. I agree with Extremity completely. Changing the color schemes is cool, even if I don't like pink bowties. And removing all markings goes back to the 50's that I know of and some stripped cars look amazing. If your truck is pure black it looks like **** to leave a blacked out emblem on the fender, toss it for a clean look.
Reminds me of a recent customer I installed a lift kit for, he spent 3K to Rhino line his whole truck, grill and all. Too bad he couldn't get a partial refund for the dumb asses rhino lining right over all the emblems and making it look like they were drunk when they did it. Would have looked twice as good if they would have removed them first. But hey, like I said.... just my two cents worth.

Last edited by 10 Colorado Ext. 4X4; 07-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb13 View Post
The Pride lies with the Bow Tie, not the color of it.

True, true. But does it seem the same to black it out completely as it does to just change the color? Maybe a lot of people don't see it the same as I do but to me you may as well have put a big black "X" over it. After all, think what the color black represents traditionally. Or maybe some people don't mind cheap looking mods. Here's an example. Would look so much better removed or left alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130705_070831.jpg (206.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20130705_070758.jpg (222.6 KB, 44 views)
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM

Ok 10 colorado, we established that you don't like blacked out emblems, thats cool and i respect your opinion. But it's just that, an opinion. Trying to convince someone otherwise is futile. Different strokes..you know the old saying. And what does the color black traditionally represent???? Anything painted black has the chance to be bad ass in one form or another...in my book anyways.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 ZQ8, Ext.Cab, 5.3-V8, Black
And a set of bald rear tires.
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremity View Post

Hmmm.......you really would've enjoyed Danny45 as a mod......

Just my 4 cents as an 'old-timer'. Give 'em ****, Greg!!

Canyon Z85 2wd Crew
K&N 77 Series
Fold-a-cover
Toyo Open Country H/T's
Herculiner bed coating
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 AM

I found this thread to be rather amusing
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
True, true. But does it seem the same to black it out completely as it does to just change the color? Maybe a lot of people don't see it the same as I do but to me you may as well have put a big black "X" over it. After all, think what the color black represents traditionally. Or maybe some people don't mind cheap looking mods. Here's an example. Would look so much better removed or left alone.

If that's the case, if my Colly was black would that mean I'm into Death, cut myself, hate puppies and kittens and listen to screamo death metal in my room and tell my folks they don't understand me? Not at all. (bit of a stretch with the examples; metal is actually my favorite kind of music)

It seems the concept of blacking out an emblem is either lost on you or you're blowing it out of proportion.

For example my 06 Colly is Yellow, and my plan was to black out the ties on both the front and back, the Colorado name on the back, my new rims will be black, and I was looking at black running boards too. I think it would look kick ass with the black and yellow mix (even though I'm a Ravens fan ) and I'm not a huge fan of the whole chrome look. I have a truck, not a Bentley.

It's not meant as a slight or disrespect to the brand, moreso just their customers taking ideas / concepts and using their trucks as their Canvas.

At the end of the day we all have different ways we want to design our trucks, that's why your truck belongs to you, and mine to me.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton View Post
I found this thread to be rather amusing
As have I. Maybe I'm just too old school but blacking out anything is like putting an X on it. Using the word traitor was just to emphasize my point whether you drive a Chevy, Ford or a minibike doesn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode