Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Some folks just don't seem to get it...

50K views 156 replies 92 participants last post by  Scott Johnson 
#1 ·
I read two more posts today with words like "For that price you could have bought a full-size." Is it so difficult to understand that some of us might actually prefer the Colorado/Canyon to a larger truck? I had a 2008 Silverado and didn't care for it. It handled like a battleship, was a pain to park, and wouldn't get 20 highway mpg traveling downhill with a 40 mph tail wind. In short, it did the job but was no fun to live with. For the money I spent on my 2015 Z71 I could have purchased a Mustang GT; it would be much more fun to drive, but I'm betting it would be lousy at pulling my stock trailer...

Look--any vehicle I choose for my daily driver will be a compromise. It has to get me to work, get me to the ranch on weekends, carry a half-ton pallet of feed, and tow a loaded stock trailer to the auction. I would like it to be fun to drive, maneuverable in traffic, and get the best fuel economy possible. The best solution for MY needs is a mid-size truck, and my Colorado fills those needs very well. If you prefer to buy your trucks by the pound feel free to do so, but some of us use different standards. Just my $0.02.

#2 ·
Agreed. I'm not sure why this seems so hard to understand. If you're looking for a truck and end up in a full size, I'm happy for you. You found a vehicle that meets your needs.
I specifically sought out the Colorado because it wasn't a full size. I currently have a full size and I'm looking to downsize. Obviously price is a factor in the vast majority of vehicle transactions. We've all run the numbers and know what we're comfortable with. As long as I'm not paying a large premium for the smaller truck I'm ok with it. It's the truck that works for me.

#3 · (Edited)
Definitely a personal preference.

I can't wait to get back into a full size. The smaller truck has zero benefit to ME over a full size. I've got larger tires on the truck and I get the same or worse mileage as my full size did. The bed size is useless for larger bulk cargo (I rarely carry bulk though). When I do need to carry cargo it's really a challenge to get things to fit - unlike a full size where you don't even think about it. A full size rides better than my Canyon. And it isn't any easier to park this truck. I'm in a 1st gen which is smaller even than the 2nd gen. There is a sacrifice in power as well. The numbers on paper look good but the way the power is delivered is so much different. Loading down the vehicle or towing (apples to apples) is not as easy with the smaller truck. I think that is negated in the 2nd gen though.
Again, for me personally - a full size at the same cost of the mid size would make me feel like I got a better vehicle for the value. I'm sure not going to spend $40,000 or $50,000 on a truck though.

So for me personally the vehicle I have now is not a preferred choice. I was looking for a replacement vehicle and this is what was available so I bought it. Also figured I'd try something different than a full size.

It suits my needs by all means. But it's not my preferred vehicle and does not actually save me any 'big truck driving problems' and isn't any easier to drive. I've been driving a pickup since early 90's though so I guess to me - getting behind the wheel is just a way of life and not meant a a complaint to drive a tank.

#4 ·
I'll just leave this here:

I love how everyone that comes in here to shi7 on the diesel by saying "just get a full size" is being completely ignorant of the fact that THIS ISN'T A FULL SIZE TRUCK so there's really no comparison to be made. :rofl

#6 ·
I came from a 2012 Z71 Silverado. Hated it and I've always driven full sized tahoes and yukons. The Z71 Colorado to me is a mid plus size truck. It offered a little of a little bit of everything. Versatility being key for me with this truck. For example, my tahoes and yukons I did not mind driving. The Colorado feels much the same to me in terms of cabin room driving in and out of traffic and simple things like just parking it. My Silverado seriously was a tank to drive daily. It had zero turning radius and beat me to death. It was loaded out and indeed a nice vehicle. Personally the full sized trucks have become oversized trucks much like the Colorado or Canyon are mid plus size trucks. Maybe it's the trend now. I know for a fact front cabin room in the Colorado is not much difference than my tahoes. The Colorado is a fairly heavy truck as well so in terms of feel and stability no different than the Tahoe. To me full sized would be a Tahoe or Yukon size. My Silverado was really big to me and I dreaded lugging it around every day then spending $100 to fill it up every time. With all that said, it comes down to everyone's personal preference and the great thing is no one is right or wrong in the comparison of the two trucks. Each truck has its perks as each truck has its non perks. Personally for me I like the Colorado for being much bigger than what I have always known a true mid size vehicle to be. If I had to get another full sized truck right now, it would be the full sized Sierra because the new body styles of the Silverado and Tahoe made me wonder what they were thinking when they decided, hey let's make them look like a box this year. I've always liked GM products because their products showcased curves and rounded body styles. So the Sierra still showed some of what has always made me a loyal GM guy.

#73 · (Edited)
To each their own. I had a full size F150 extended cab and it was nice, until you went to a parking garage. My Colorado tows as much and its easier to take to the city if needed. Full size had its benefits, and getting better MPG is worth the trade off IMO. F150 got a avg of 13 compared to 18 on the mid size. (City) Highway was 13 for the f150 and i get around 27 if i am not towing in the Colorado.

Again they both serve a purpose.

#7 ·
What's nice about this country is people used to be able to generally express their opinions. These days if someone does so, often the other person has been coddled so much during their life, that instead of respecting the other persons opinion, they get butt-hurt and defensive.

On another thread a guy was boasting how he just got done tricking out his 2015 was buying a new '16, and when asked how much was paid his response was along the lines of "I don't know, it's just money who cares". That kind of snobbery deserves a well worded response. No?

Everyone has an opinion, some people are pleasant, some people are jerks. Sometimes you won't get along with everyone, that's just how it is.

#8 ·
Note: When I refer to Colorado in this post I am referring to both the Colorado and the Canyon. You get the point :)

The new Colorado is a fantastic truck. It's an improvement over the old Colorado in every way. Except there is one problem - it's too expensive.

Comparing a base model 4x4 WT crew cab, the Silverado is only about $6,000 more:

Comparing a Z71 4x4 crew cab, the Silverado is only about $3,000 more:

And the fuel economy is very similar between the 3.6L V6 Colorado and the 4.3L V6 Silverado.

The Silverado makes more sense when towing. The Colorado 3.6L V6 has better tow capacity in some configurations than the Silverado only if the Silverado is outfitted with base 4.3L V6 3.23 gear ratio. With a 3.42 the Silverado rises above in towing capacity.

All of these things would be fine if the Colorado was noticeably cheaper than the Silverado. Sure, it is a little bit cheaper, but if you can shell out more than $30K for a truck you can spend ever so slightly more. Also, the Silverado probably holds its value better.

It's also builds on the many years of experience GM has with it's full-size trucks in terms of legendary quality and longevity. The Colorado is an all-new platform.

As far as the Duramax Colorado, yes, there is no comparison. There is no Silverado 1500 with a diesel - you'd have to step up to a 2500HD to get the 6.6L V8 Duramax diesel engine. But the Dodge Ram EcoDiesel 1500 is always an option. I hate Chrysler, Dodge trucks have historically had inferior interiors and unreliable transmissions, but I think that is the case less and less these days. Would I buy one? No... if somebody gave me a Ram EcoDiesel I'd trade it in for a used Duramax-powered Silverado 2500HD, but my point is there are options now.

If the 2nd-gen Colorado had come out in 2013 at a lower price point, they would be all over the place by now. But I think it's too expensive, too late.

If you're reading this and you're considering a 2nd-gen Colorado, go ahead, get it - it's a great little truck that's more modern than the outdated Tacoma and hopefully turns out to be as reliable. But just think carefully about whether a Silverado would work for you because it's a bigger, better truck for just a little bit more money and just a bit less MPG.

#11 · (Edited)
...Except there is one problem - it's too expensive...
This is the core of the problem. It's not too expensive. It's too expensive to some individuals. I'm happy with the price, and to reiterate I (personally) don't care a whole lot about it's cost in comparison to a Silverado. If the comparison doesn't make sense to you, buy a full size.

Would I like it to be cheaper? Sure; But the price of the truck isn't keeping me away, and it's decidedly not leaving the factory floor empty.

#9 ·
Good thread. I've been looking seriously at new trucks for a year but my perfect truck is halfway between a Silverado and a Colorado. To me, the back seat of the Colorado (CC) is too small whereas the Silverado (CC SB) is supersized in most all dimensions. It has more than enough room but is too long, too wide, and has a poor turning radius for parking. I've driven trucks for the last 20 years and my test drive of the Silverado really surprised me with how tank-like it felt, how hard it was to park in a parking lot, and how huge it was in my garage.

It seems to me that the irony of GM making full-size and mid-size trucks is that they intentionally created a gap in their sizing to differentiate the models and that my preference falls squarely in the middle of the two offerings. I want a Colorado-sized vehicle but with more room in the back seat for adults, road trips, and so on. I can probably live with everything else but my kids are getting bigger not smaller.

As has been pointed out above, the fuel economy doesn't seem to be a big discriminator by the EPA numbers but some people think the Colorado will do better than the advertised numbers. I saw a long term test on Edmunds and they averaged 17.4 MPG over 25,000 miles on a Silverado and 17.7 MPG over 12,400 miles on a Colorado. That insignificant difference surprised me although you need to understand more about how the vehicles were driven over those miles to interpret them correctly.

This may seem minor but the gauge cluster on the Colorado looks very basic and cheap to me. The Silverado gauge cluster looks much better. Given the high price of a Colorado Crew Cab 4x4, I think the gauges should look much more refined. The gauge cluster on my 2001 S-10 looks nicer than the 2015 Colorado. Very disappointing and frankly annoying to me.

From a pricing standpoint, my local dealership is running public incentives of $7200-$9200 off on Silverado 4x4s whereas the Colorado discount is closer to $1300. That brings a Silverado LT down into the Colorado price range which only makes the decision tougher. I don't want the overall size of the Silverado and don't really need a V8 but that's the truck with the cab room more appropriate for my family usage.

dcs

#12 ·
Look, the Colorado size trucks aren't for everybody. I have a 2014 Sierra and a 2015 Colorado. I prefer to drive the Colorado any day of the week, it's a much more refined ride to me and it's a better size. Not to mention the real world MPH is better than the advertised on the Colorado than the Sierra (which is essentially the same truck as the Silverado).

If you don't like smaller trucks don't buy one. It probably cost about the same to make the Colorado as it does the Silverado - it's roughly the same number of parts assembled the same way, just a tiny bit smaller. The pricing isn't randomly assigned, it's more likely a product of cost vs. profit margins needed to make it worth building.

If you are upset that the Colorado isn't 50% of the cost of a Silverado you should probably be buying a used Camry.

#14 ·
For those that like to compare costs vs full size equivelents the old adage holds true that if a manufacturer can lower a price to get more sales volume then they will. I'd expect this is the case with the full size trucks. The Silverado will out sell the Colorado therefore Chevy can cut the price a bit because they will make it up on volume. There will never be able to be a true 1:1 here

#15 ·
I think the Colorado price will make more sense when higher incentives kick in in a year or so. Right now the Silverado seems like the better deal, I'm still not buying one though.

#16 ·
I would have to agree more than some folks don't get it. GM is a corporation whose one and only purpose is to separate you from your money for their product. The Silverados and Sierras are the cash cows of GM truck division as evidence by the manufacturing numbers and sales figures.
I think the twins where more of an market tool at first, now hear me out before you go blasting my post. GM did put some effort into the new truck,redesign put some cool new technology in it but to keep it close to the vest and keep costs marginal,They limit the production numbers as well as engine and transmission choice. This way GM create some buzz gets people in the showroom to look at the 2 to 4 Colorado or caynons on the lot and upsale to the full size for the extra $6 Grand or maybe a $50,000 Denali.
I just don't think GM expected the twins to be as popular as they are. That's why they couldn't keep even the two or four on the showroom floor they thought they would have. And they didn't get the sales on the half tons that's why discounts are better on them. How many were sure they were going to bring the diesel at first? Theres a rumor they may open a second plant. I'm not so sure about that if they keep supply low and demand high they get to make money both ways, they get to continue to charge premium prices on the twins as well as upsell the cash cow half tons. Sure they will roll out the diesel this year a Denali next year maybe a v8 to keep us going to the showroom.I love my Colorado and I'm glad I bought it, the styling, handling and fuel economy are all I need in a truck. I've had a blast fixing it up like no other vehicle I've ever owned.If you don't mind spending the extra or absolutely need a full size more power to you. But for my needs my base truck that I have fixed up is sweetest little ride I know. And I'm only in it for just under $23,000 including upgrades so far.
Yea the OP is right some people just don't get it.

#18 ·
Been taking my truck on some extended road trips about 300 miles round trip at least once a week for a new job up north of my current location. This truck for me handles the trips well. Never having to fight to keep it on the road. Gas mileage is good even up hill to my new location. Have a hard tonneau cover with long bed. It fits all my tools and gear. For me this truck fits my needs. I could not imagine the extra cost of fuel with full size truck. If worked construction or owned a farm maybe the full size would be needed. But for over the road and cargo hauling this size truck is just right. It is very comfortable and has a smooth ride. Not choppy like some other small truck, they can be busy because of their light weight and short wheel base. If I was doing off road mudding or crawling I could see the Colorado short comings. Full size would work better for serious off roading. Weekend off roading is good in the Colorado too. Over all very pleased with this truck versatility and competency on and off the road. Even for my 2wd. A Gentrified truck with a good garage pleasing size.

#19 ·
I have no use for a Silverado, ever. I like my fully loaded Colorado. It serves as the right size for where I live. It has plenty of power and does more than I will need for it.

If I need more power, I have a 500 HP monster in the garage.

#20 ·
Agreed

"For that price you could have bought a full-size."
1) Full size won't fit in my garage, kinda like the CC long bed wouldn't (why I got an Ext Cab, plus I'm not running a taxi service) How many older homes have a garage that a CC Silverado will fit into? Not mine! Why have a garage if I can't park in it.
2) Don't need a full size, I can pay the delivery fee if I need something that big (won't worry about scratching or denting the bed either)
3) I'm spending money on what I WANT (of available options, not what you make the most profit/commision on (like any of them are loss leaders). That's why I am inquiring about a Mid-Size Mr. Salesman.

"Meh, it's not really what I want, but here's my $25,000. I'll take it, I guess."
Why not try and sell me a car, crossover, or van. I read somewhere 85% of truck owners don't use the "Truck Bed", they just feel safer in a larger vehicle.

Attachments

#21 ·
1)
I read somewhere 85% of truck owners don't use the "Truck Bed", they just feel safer in a larger vehicle.
LOL to that!
And what percent of car owners always use the back seat or trunk?
It is all about the 15+% of the time when you NEED the open bed that appeals to we truck owners.
Try and carry firewood, dirt bikes and canoes in your sedan!
Having an open bed when you NEED it is.... the whole da*n point!!
That is why there are trucks.:censored:

Reactions: PAR
#22 ·
I owned a 93 Silverado, had it for 14 years and loved it. I made a bad decision and sold it because we had to many vehicles at the time. I should have kept it and sold something else. I finally sold something else and have now ordered a 16 Colorado. I personally don't need a full size truck any longer and to me the new Silverado looks to boxy and just doesn't appeal to me at all anymore. I think GM should build the new Silverado based off of the New Colorado with a more rounded front end instead of the box look, not to mention that a crew cab Silverado is a bit to long for my garage!
Everyone has their own opinion and this is mine and it's not meant to offend anyone. If you like the new Silverado and if it's what you like by all means buy it and enjoy it. That's what I hope to do with my new Colorado.

Ed

Attachments

#23 ·
I know the feeling. I had a Black 91' Ford "Nite" I became disabled in 2000 after a 12 year river career. I was making $360.00 a month bank notes on her and owed $4,500.00 when I took her to the bank when I could no longer make the payments. I sure do miss that truck. One like her below. Mine had the over the windshield faring with marker lights and also a air dam behind the cab. I still see her on the road every now and then.

Attachments

#24 ·
Yep, it is called marketing, people. Things will be as expensive as possible as long as people still buy it. If you feel like you are getting hosed, buy the Silverado / F150, or buy a Nissan / Toyota. Done and done.

Reactions: JBT
#27 ·
I traded in one of my previous truck. A couple years later I went to meet a guy to purchase a used snowboard. Snowboard seller drove up in my old truck. First time I'd seen it in years, and have not seen it since.

It looked like the Nite Ford, but not a Nite package. same as far as the black standard cab though.

#28 ·
I had a 2003 Ford Ranger, then I had kids. I went to a FS truck for the room because nothing else really did it for me and still didn't until this truck. I had a 2005 F150, a 2008, and 2011 Titan, all CC. The real world MPG was never, ever close to what they stated. I did not for a minute think I would trade in my 2011 Titan as I thought that thing was boss. Well, just playing I tested the Canyon. Amazed to say the least, and it is now in my driveway. Did I give up a few things, sure. But, this truck drives and handles miles ahead of what I got rid of. I call it my little rocket ship because in all reality, the power is close to what I traded, and I have way more fun in the Canyon. Handling is smoother, parking is easier, and it doesn't seem to piss everyone off around me like the Titans did. Of course that could be my driving too, lol. Will I ever go back, I doubt it since everyone is jumping on the midsize bandwagon again and will make some awesome trucks. How did we ever manage when the Canyon and Colorado are the same size as FS was just a few years ago? Trucks have gone the McDonalds route, oh come on, supersize it, it's only a few bucks more, people bought into it, even though it wasn't in our best interests.

#29 ·
Traded my 14 LTZ Crew Cab for a 16 Colorado Z71 and love it. The Silverado was the nicest truck I have had but just overkill for my needs. The Colorado gets better mileage, still looks great and is much easier to bomb around in and get in and out of the tight parking areas/side streets in the Northeast..... All while being less expensive.

#30 ·
I read two more posts today with words like "For that price you could have bought a full-size."

Yep, it is called marketing, people. Things will be as expensive as possible as long as people still buy it. If you feel like you are getting hosed, buy the Silverado / F150, or buy a Nissan / Toyota. Done and done.
This. Nuff said!!!

However, I can't understand why people continuously make the comments because lets go over it. Starting at the bottom and moving our way up (using all Chevy vehicles for this example).

Let's start with a base model Spark, starts at $12,270.
However, if I fully load up that Spark, it's about $17,000, I can now get a mid loaded Sonic.

I can get the base model Sonic for $14,245.
However, if I fully load that Sonic, it's about $20,000, i can now get a mid to upper loaded Cruze, or a base model Trax,

I can get the base model Cruze for $16,170.
However, if I fully load that Cruze, we'll be up around $24,000, which means now I can get a Malibu, or a base model Equinox, or a base model Colorado or a base model Camaro.

I could keep going but you guys obviously get the point.

Regardless of what one vehicle costs, there will always be another vehicle which you can get for the same money. Why not simply let the people who are spending their own money, spend it the way they want to?

But in the end, people are entitled to their opinions and unfortunately, some of them stink.

#31 ·
I "got" to drive a 2015 CC Sierra for a few days while my truck was in the shop. I hated every mile in it. Hard to maneuver, much harder than my 1995 regular cab C1500. No rear view camera made parking much harder, both parallel and some angled parking garages.

When you guys are comparing costs, does that FS truck you are comparing have a rear view camera in it? Power driver seat? Power windows? How many of you would actually buy that WT trim Full Size, or the WT MS truck? In any event, I got a Canyon SLT 2WD CC for $32,500 before TTL. Are you trying to tell me I could have gotten a Sierra SLT 2WD CC for a "mere" $38,500 before TTL? (If I was going to spend $38,500 on a truck, I would have either opted for the Canyon 4WD or I would have waited for the diesel to arrive. )

I would never have considered a FS truck. The only way I could consider a pickup at all, was going to be the Taco, Frontier, or the new Twins. Toyota didn't want to sell me a Taco, and they made that pretty self-evident. Nissan only had one stripped Frontier to look at, and that convinced my wife we didn't want it without ever sitting in one. The manager at the Nissan dealership sold me my Wrangler, he would have worked me a sweet deal on the Frontier if I had been interested.

If the FS works for you for price and capabilities, go for it. I won't tell you how to spend your hard earned money and you don't tell me how to spend mine. Now, if you are interested in a Colorado or Canyon, I will offer you some good suggestions. (Get the V6, get the tow package, spray in bed liner, not sure the extended cab is worth the rear seat space, rest is up to you.)

#36 ·
At 56, I don't think I qualify as a millennial. And my first car was a 78 LTDII. You are exaggerating a tad ( but not much).

I also wasn't parallel parking daily back then. And sure, you can hook up a trailer without a camera, but could you, on your first try, put the ball of the hitch perfectly under the tongue

All I was saying that given Truck A, the Sierra, or Truck B, the Canyon, I will take the Canyon any day. For my daily driver, I would never choose a FS truck. The added size does nothing to enhance my daily driving experience, and it just takes more gas and effort to drive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.