Anyone towing a camper ? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp170 View Post
Serious ? WOULD YOU feel comfortable pulling a 3000 lb camper across country with you 2015 ??
Would be 100% comfortable.
Rove and Tony D'Aprile like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Anytime.

And a small heads up.

The one trip we did was just over 3500 km in 4 weeks and that was through British Colombia Canada through the mountains.

Was a fun trip.
What mods have you done to your i5
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp170 View Post
Serious ? WOULD YOU feel comfortable pulling a 3000 lb camper across country with you 2015 ??

We're not even comparing apples to apples here. My Colorado has an around 300 HP V6 in it.

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT
post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Well you only making about 60 more hp than my I5.

Your truck weighs more than the gen 1 trucks.

The biggest difference is the 6 speed auto.

I myself am waiting on a diesel as this with a 6 speed auto will be a very nice tow set up over a gasser.
I agree. Just remember that it'll do it bone stock. No need for all the fancy mods. Squeezing every last bit of power out of a small engine will definitely shorten their lifespan. That's also why they re-build 1/4 mile dragster engines after each race. There's No replacement for displacement.

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Garage
I have a 2015 Canyon and hooked it up to our 3,000 pound KZ Coyote. It towed fine on the highway, was a bit sluggish on the inclines, but I would say the Canyon is sluggish on an incline without towing a camper, you just seem to need to give it some extra pedal to get it going. Braking was normal, I did have the brake control added, as an additional caution. I used to tow this same camper with a V8 Explorer, the Explorer towed it a bit better, but only got 11 miles per gallon. Got 16 MPG with the Canyon, so I'll take that for recreational camper towing!
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Well I did i traded my beloved 2010 for a 2016 crew cab V6 with the towing package. Will truly miss my little truck :( but the new one is one sweet ride
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:39 PM

towing camper

Just got back from a 1000 round trip up and down mountain hills towing my 4,500 pound camper and my Colorado V6 CC with Z71 package did just great with no problems. Only got 12.1 mpg but she never faltered in any way. Happy Camper

2015 Laser Blue Colorado CC Z71 Long Bed
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc View Post
Just got back from a 1000 round trip up and down mountain hills towing my 4,500 pound camper and my Colorado V6 CC with Z71 package did just great with no problems. Only got 12.1 mpg but she never faltered in any way. Happy Camper
Good to hear - I have a 4100 pound trailer, probably 4700 loaded.

We took one short trip (~200 miles) specifically to hit some long sustained inclines (grapevine just north of Los Angeles) and were very pleased with how well the Colorado towed our trailer.

Planning some trips through the Rockies however - that will be interesting.

Last edited by sequoia464; 11-06-2015 at 11:34 PM.
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to dgtrp27l
Trailer towing

I just traded my '08 I5 for a '16 with the trailering package. Haven't hooked up the travel trailer yet, but was wondering if anyone here has any experience with rear-view cameras on their trailers. Seems a camera would be better than trying to attach towing mirrors. Anybody have any thoughts?
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtrp27l View Post
I just traded my '08 I5 for a '16 with the trailering package. Haven't hooked up the travel trailer yet, but was wondering if anyone here has any experience with rear-view cameras on their trailers. Seems a camera would be better than trying to attach towing mirrors. Anybody have any thoughts?
Somebody mentioned this, not sure if it has been done yet.

See this thread: It's about a front camera, but still may be helpful. Couldn't find the conversation about a camera on the trailer.

Front facing camera

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:01 AM

I pull a 3600# (340# tongue weight) camper trailer with my stock 2004 Z71 (i5). I drop it in 3 and I cant tell its behind me. Looking to upgrade to a different trailer that weighs in at 4900#. I am told by many sources (family members who are life long GM workers, and a couple different mechanics) that I will have no problems pulling that one either. I am going to add some rear helper springs though.
post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:53 PM

Garage
Towing 6000lb Camper

Hopefully I'm posting correctly as this is my first time posting on here. Anyhow, got a new 2016 Colorado Z71 (3.6L)and I towed a camper with a dry weight of 5650lbs (loaded was around 6200lbs per the weigh scale we went to). The camper is a Grand Design Imagine 2600RB. It was about a 300 mile trek to the Appalachian mountains. So yeah, we went up some good size hills. It towed it. Which is good because it's supposed to tow that weight :) I wouldn't say it did an awesome job of towing it but it sure did it. You just need to get used to the gearing in the tow haul mode, take it easy when getting on/off the highway, and get used to cars passing you. I kept it around 55-60 mph the entire time. The truck never overheated and it always provided enough power to get up to my cruising speed. I have a good weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes obviously made the job much easier but they required a little adjusting via the trailer brake controller. I was towing a pop-up camper before this which was a cinch compared to this monster.

I'll only be using this camper about a dozen times a year so it's not like I'm taking it out every weekend. If I were towing it more often than that, I would probably have opted for the 2.8L Duramax. Otherwise, if you're thinking about towing with this truck, I wouldn't be too concerned with towing a large camper as long as you keep it under the 7000lbs marker (gotta keep other things in mind like tongue weight and the trucks GVWR, etc..), get the proper gear (weight distribution hitch, brake controller, etc..), don't plan on towing heavy weights (5000lb+) every weekend, and don't mind pretty low gas mileage while towing (10-15 mpg). This is just my opinion. At the end of the day, we all buy our cars for different reasons. A Silverado would of course make the towing job easier, but I didn't by my truck just for towing and the many other reasons outweigh my need to have a larger comfortable tow capable vehicle.

Anyhow, I'm throwing a TRIFECTA tune on it next week which should add a little more torque so I'll be interested to see how it handles with the tune. More to follow!

Edit: Still waiting on the rear camera to arrive at the RV Dealer so it can get installed. The camper is already equipped for one so they just need to pop it in when it arrives. I'll post my experience with it when I get it. Also, I purchased the mirror extenders for my side truck mirror (right/passenger side). I'd say you probably don't really need them (my camper is 96 inches) but having one on the right really helped (in my opinion).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6507.jpg (281.1 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by Rowdruner; 12-07-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Updated info about camera...
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdruner View Post

Edit: Still waiting on the rear camera to arrive at the RV Dealer so it can get installed. The camper is already equipped for one so they just need to pop it in when it arrives. I'll post my experience with it when I get it. Also, I purchased the mirror extenders for my side truck mirror (right/passenger side). I'd say you probably don't really need them (my camper is 96 inches) but having one on the right really helped (in my opinion).
Can you get us some pics of the mirror and manufacturer/part number?

post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 04:15 PM

Ha, it's not a camper, but I towed 11,000lbs worth of tractor and trailer about a mile. Let's just say it's possible but I probably won't do that again...

Parked the tractor pretty far back so it's weight was on the axles of the trailer, and didn't have any problems with the rear bottoming out.

Probably should have gotten the diesel....
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Garage
I don't have the exact part and model because it's stored in my camper (several miles from here). I can pull it out this weekend though. Anyhow, I looked online and here's a pic of the exact one I have. I paid $50 for it. That's $50 for one mirror. It worked just okay. I won't be buying a different one or anything but you have to really tighten it down and adjust it just right. Once you get the hang of using it it's not too bad. I'm sure there are much better one's out there but I didn't have time to do the research like I normally would.

Website: 11980 Universal Bar Towing Mirror Kit | CIPA USA, Inc.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 4.54.25 PM.png (62.4 KB, 23 views)
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdruner View Post
I don't have the exact part and model because it's stored in my camper (several miles from here). I can pull it out this weekend though. Anyhow, I looked online and here's a pic of the exact one I have. I paid $50 for it. That's $50 for one mirror. It worked just okay. I won't be buying a different one or anything but you have to really tighten it down and adjust it just right. Once you get the hang of using it it's not too bad. I'm sure there are much better one's out there but I didn't have time to do the research like I normally would.

Website: 11980 Universal Bar Towing Mirror Kit | CIPA USA, Inc.

Hope that helps.
How bad was the wind noise after you installed?

I may hold out for something better, hopefully GM has something in the works.

post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
How bad was the wind noise after you installed?

I may hold out for something better, hopefully GM has something in the works.
Honestly, I didn't notice any additional wind noise from these mirrors. I did think that the $50 price tag was a little steep though. And yeah, I'm sure there are better one's out there. These were pretty easy to take on and off but regardless, $50 just seems like a lot for just one...
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
Ha, it's not a camper, but I towed 11,000lbs worth of tractor and trailer about a mile. Let's just say it's possible but I probably won't do that again...

Parked the tractor pretty far back so it's weight was on the axles of the trailer, and didn't have any problems with the rear bottoming out.

Probably should have gotten the diesel....
Haha, that awesome! Well, at least we now know it's physically possible to tow 11K lbs! You're a brave soul. Thanks for sharing.
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 12:25 PM

I have towed 3 different trailers with my 15 Crew/long bed
- 1 place open Motorcycle Trailer can be Towed all day No Problem

- 4 place enclosed Snowmobile Trailer towed better than I expected, however it is 7 wide x 29.5 long V-Nose.
7 Wide has the 15" wheels to the outside so it sits much lower and the narrow trailer allows you to see around it.
With 4 Sleds in the Trailer the overall weight is about 4800lbs so I used weight distribution bars to Squat the truck
evenly (about 1.5") front and back. I was comfortable towing at 65-70 mph, with RPM topping out at about 3500

- 24ft enclosed Car Trailer. I towed this trailer 1200 miles because I needed to. I figured it weighed 4700lbs and the truck is
rated to tow 7000lbs. The suspension handled the weight with load bars ok, however the trailer has a flat front and is
much taller than truck. It felt like a giant parachute behind me and the RPM's went to 5000 at the smallest incline.
I did not have mirror extenders so I could only see part of the other lane behind me.
I WILL NOT TRY THIS AGAIN

- From my experience I would say the truck can handle the weight, however I would carefully look at the drag. V-nose
compared to flat front, how tall, and how wide. A pop up that sits below the bed should be OK (Maybe Mirror extenders
needed). A full size camper no matter the weight with a flat front will be hard on your Motor and transmission, plus with
all that wind catching the front end it tends to push the truck around.
CaryBosse and rupprider like this.
post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 04:36 PM

I have had zero issues towing my flat front 5,000 lbs camper this year and have already started booking camping spots for 2016. It runs down the highway straight as an arrow. The truck was designed for this. It is not a lightweight and the engine and transmission are more than capable of handling the payload. I towed with far less truck 30 years ago when a full size with a V8 and 200 HP meant something. No more! If you stay within the manufacturers specifications you are good to go. No white knuckle driving with my setup. A pleasure to drive. This has been my experience.

BTW, this is the towing extension mirrors I have. Simple strap on and off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode