Anyone towing a camper ? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Anyone towing a camper ?

Is anyone towing a camper with a 2015 or 16 Colorado if so what size camper and how does it do.
Have a 2010 4 wd CC towing a 3000 lb camper it does OK but would like a little more. Been thinking about a new Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp170 View Post
Is anyone towing a camper with a 2015 or 16 Colorado if so what size camper and how does it do.
Have a 2010 4 wd CC towing a 3000 lb camper it does OK but would like a little more. Been thinking about a new Colorado
Nope. Ain't no one trusting these trucks to tow a camper...

Read about our trials and tribulations.

Towing travel trailers

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Nope. Ain't no one trusting these trucks to tow a camper...

Read about our trials and tribulations.

Towing travel trailers

Well it would appear from reading all 12 pages opinions vary some say it does good some not so good, can you tell me why would say that, have you had towing experience with this truck
beefymc likes this.
post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:28 PM

What kind of power does your truck have now ?

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Garage
You shouldn't have any problems towing a 3000lbs camper. I'm going to be towing a 5400lb camper with mine on Thursday, I plan on writing a thorough review on how it does.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well it would appear from reading all 12 pages opinions vary some say it does good some not so good, can you tell me why would say that, have you had towing experience with this truck
I have towed 2 different trailers. First was a tow dolly from U-Haul, total weight with vehicle was ~4500 pounds. Did fine, braking distance was extended, to be expected with no trailer brakes.

I have towed a popup camper, ~2300 pounds or so. Does fine, no issues with power. Only issue I see is the visibility behind me. The AC unit on trailer was perfectly mounted to block view over the top of the camper, the camper is wide enough that rear view mirrors only see the adjacent lanes. I think some good tow mirrors are needed on these trucks.

I do think a lot of the less positive experiences are with regular campers, not popups. The amount of wind resistance these offer makes them a lot harder to tow. I wonder if someone who had a cap on their bed would find the wind resistance less of an issue.

I also think a lot of people expect to tow a trailer, especially a camper with lots of wind resistance, and it should behave like there is nothing behind them. Those of us who have more realistic expectations of towing a trailer find these trucks do just fine. You can't expect to go from 0 - 60 in 3 seconds, passing other vehicles will require a plan, cannot climb that hill/mountain at 1800 rpms, in 6th gear, at 75 MPH.
Arctic Cat ZRT likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGER View Post
What kind of power does your truck have now ?

Honestly I don't know the HP of a 2010 inline 5, however it does OK nothing to write home about, I towed the camper about 500 miles since we got it on 3 trips, were in the mountains of East Tennessee,

The manual says my trucks towing capacity is 5500 lb and the new Colorado is rated at 7000 lb.
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I have towed 2 different trailers. First was a tow dolly from U-Haul, total weight with vehicle was ~4500 pounds. Did fine, braking distance was extended, to be expected with no trailer brakes.

I have towed a popup camper, ~2300 pounds or so. Does fine, no issues with power. Only issue I see is the visibility behind me. The AC unit on trailer was perfectly mounted to block view over the top of the camper, the camper is wide enough that rear view mirrors only see the adjacent lanes. I think some good tow mirrors are needed on these trucks.

I do think a lot of the less positive experiences are with regular campers, not popups. The amount of wind resistance these offer makes them a lot harder to tow. I wonder if someone who had a cap on their bed would find the wind resistance less of an issue.

I also think a lot of people expect to tow a trailer, especially a camper with lots of wind resistance, and it should behave like there is nothing behind them. Those of us who have more realistic expectations of towing a trailer find these trucks do just fine. You can't expect to go from 0 - 60 in 3 seconds, passing other vehicles will require a plan, cannot climb that hill/mountain at 1800 rpms, in 6th gear, at 75 MPH.

Thanks for the info,
ours is a travel trailer, and your right you can't expect it to ride like nothing is there, The truck does fine on reasonably level ground but hey we live in the mountains, and ascending a 7% grade is somewhat a challenge. we towed it from Cincinnati ohio to the mountains of E.Tennesse and it did fine actually got 13.4 mpg running 60 - 65 on the interstate
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:03 PM

HAHA ! Oh my...You're going to be pleasantly surprised. I had the same powertrain as you prior to this 2015 Colorado.

You can't even compare the two, honestly.

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT

Last edited by CRAIGER; 11-12-2015 at 03:48 PM.
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:04 PM

Garage
The difference between the 5 and 6 cylinder should be staggering, these trucks have a lot of power. I mashed mine to the floor for the first time since I bought it at 20mph, it was at 60 real quick then 80 real quick. I'm certain it would beat my 5.3l Silverado. I don't foresee having any issues towing my camper in the Tennessee hills.

CaryBosse likes this.

post #11 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for the info guess I'm gona trade up :)
post #12 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
thanks everyone for the info guess I'm gona trade up :)
Haha, you're easy.

post #13 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Haha, you're easy.

well I been wanting a new one for a while and the wife said go for it if it will tow the camper well, if not get a Silverado, had one before I got my 2010 Colorado and really don't want another FS truck thought this would be the place to get some info
post #14 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:39 PM

If you are at least fairly satisfied with the tow capability of your I5 1st Gen truck, I think you will be downright giddy with a 2nd gen truck. The V6 may behave a bit differently than typical "truck" engines, but it does a nice job. And when you aren't towing a trailer, you will feel like you are in the lap of luxury with a nice looking truck with much better gas mileage than that old Silverado (for at least a little less money up front.)

I know a lot of the 1st gen guys are very happy with their I5 engines, it just is hard for me to imagine such an engine. Was at least half the reason I never looked at a 1st gen seriously, it just gave me the image of a half-hearted attempt at an economy truck.

post #15 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I hope so Colorado ain't cheap, but then again a Silverado isn't either
I really like my 2010 but....
post #16 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
If your I5 is bone stock then yes towing will be less then Steller.

What size is your current tralier.

I tow with my 06 with the 3.5 and have yet ran into any towing issue.

A few easy mods do wake up the truck. And from what I have been reading with the new truck it sounds like the rpms while towing are about the same.

I am holding out to buy the diesel version in a few years.

yes its bone stock, I have a Jayco 195rb dry weight in 2980lb loaded I would say its about 3400 to 3600 lb.
post #17 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Also always tow in 3rd gear.

I assume you are referring to the 1st Gen when you say to always tow in 3rd gear?

My transmission has had no issues with 6th gear on level roads.

post #18 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well there is some of the issue with it being stock.

Not sure if you added a transmission cooler if not you should. Yes the new trucks come with one.

Also that stock muffler is very restrictive I would swap to a borla pro xs muffler.

And if you want get the truck tuned with hp tuners. You will gain a bit of power but you can increase the transmission line pressure which will help in shifting.

Also always tow in 3rd gear.

I know your tralier it's nice and about the same as mine.

I have towed all through the mountains of British Columbia and have been very happy towing for the past 3 years.

so you have a 1st gen I5 ?
what kind of camper and how much does it weigh
post #19 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGER View Post
HAHA ! Oh my...You're going to be pleasantly surprised. I had the same powertrain as you prior to this 2015 Colorado.

You can't even compare the two, honestly.
Serious ? WOULD YOU feel comfortable pulling a 3000 lb camper across country with you 2015 ??
post #20 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes I have the I5.

My tralier is a 2013 holiday rambler 187qb.

Loaded on the scale for a month was 3500 give or take.

I posted a pic a few post back.

And yes tow in third gear with the first gen.

The new one I guess you could tow in 6th gear.

Thanks for all the info !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode