Vehicle jacks - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Vehicle jacks

I have a question that I am hoping I can get an answer to...

PLEASE NOTE: the following pertains to changing a flat tire on the road only...not for working on the vehicle.

My wrenchin' days are long over so I know nothing about this, however, I see, and have heard, the jacks supplied with vehicles nowadays are garbage, even compared with the old bumper jacks we had way back when. I used to carry an old scissor-jack and a large L-head lug wrench and a large speed or spyder wrench as well. Nonetheless, that was then and my question is this; what would be a good jack for a modern vehicle, i.e. PU-truck, van, or car? I assume the wrenches are still good but the jack behooves me.

Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59

(Left) My Son's 2006 Chevy Colorado 4WD Z71 Extended Cab 3.5L 220 hp I5 and Buddy (Center) 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD 3-Door Extended Cab Long Box 5.3L V8 285 HP Vortec Engine 4 speed HD trans. (Right) 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Ext Cab LT1 Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogulf59 View Post

.......what would be a good jack for a modern vehicle, i.e. PU-truck, van, or car? I assume the wrenches are still good but the jack behooves me.

Harbor Freight or Lowes/HomeDepot bottle jack will work just fine if you have room for it. Get under the jack point and find out how high you need the minimum specific to your tire and lift combo.

My favorite go to even for my jeep, since the Hi-lift is a bit overkill for a daily driver.

Safe, easy compact and bullet proof. Btw, the stock wrenches are fine but do yourself a favor, buy a $5 tool roll and fill it with the tools you have extras of (crescent, sockets of common size, BFH, BFW), you can thank me when it comes in handy.
kilogulf59 likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Get AAA ......

But seriously - I had a flat in my previous truck that required me to attempt to use the OEM jack. Granted, I'd never got it out to 'test' it prior to this point..... I got it all together and managed to get it up against the frame. Needless to say, it was fine without any pressure - but as soon as there was weight on it, it didn't lift the truck. Go figure..... Ended up calling my husband and had him bring the craftsman hydraulic Jack over. We were pretty close to home, so it was easier and faster than calling AAA.

After we got home, we fiddled with it for a while, it finally held and lifted the truck. But really? So yea..I'd agree with you on the JUNK comment.

If it's local....I'd rather just call the husband (if the Jack doesn't work). Anything outside of the local area - I'd call AAA.

I thought about buying something better, but the amount of time you'll need it, wasn't worth the $$.
kilogulf59 likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:16 PM

As a reminder, once a year lower the spare and grease the wire. Don't want to be stuck on the road with a flat and the tire doesn't want to come down.
kilogulf59, drewabbs and tinasdude like this.

2015 Silver Canyon SLT
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:52 PM

I find the factory jack is so much better than the old bumper jacks that I am satisfied.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:09 PM

Garage
I Always carry an inexpensive 2-3 ton hydraulic bottle jack and combo lug wrench. I bought both at Wally World (where America shops!)

Like previously mentioned, make sure the collapsed height of the jack will fit under your jack point,

measure as if you have a flat (the truck will be a tad lower)

Most of these type jacks will adjust higher or lower by spinning the top shaft

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14560038?w...015609&veh=sem

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jack...ingMethod=p13n

something like this. These and heavier duty are available almost any hardware/auto store
kilogulf59 and drewabbs like this.

2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White

Last edited by Vinolush; 06-11-2016 at 11:15 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorf View Post
As a reminder, once a year lower the spare and grease the wire. Don't want to be stuck on the road with a flat and the tire doesn't want to come down.
Or, worse yet,sitting at a stoplight with a guy outside your window screaming at about your spare tire that fell off and went through his radiator. Yep, saw it happen. Cable rusted out and broke off.

Last edited by 08Canyon; 06-13-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: removed cursing
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks to all for the assist here. Some good advice...especially about checking the spare...

One question, how to those hydraulic bottle jacks work in winter? It can easily get into the -20's here, lower aw well.

Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59

(Left) My Son's 2006 Chevy Colorado 4WD Z71 Extended Cab 3.5L 220 hp I5 and Buddy (Center) 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD 3-Door Extended Cab Long Box 5.3L V8 285 HP Vortec Engine 4 speed HD trans. (Right) 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Ext Cab LT1 Z71
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinolush View Post
important words.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Well thanks to all for the assist here. Some good advice...especially about checking the spare...

One question, how to those hydraulic bottle jacks work in winter? It can easily get into the -20's here, lower aw well.
Your jack will probably be stored under the rear seat, so I hope it is a tad above -20 inside there.

Nuthin works on me below about 0 degs F, so I don't see worrying about the jack.

Quote:

Like previously mentioned, make sure the collapsed height of the jack will fit under your jack point,

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabbs View Post
important words.
It never fails, I would find myself with a flat and sitting in mud that made my vehicle sink further.

If you are going to go this far with it, consider a block of wood, maybe a piece of a 2x6, to place under the bottle jack so it does not sink into the mud. Most bottle jacks have a pretty small footprint.
tinasdude likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabbs View Post
Harbor Freight or Lowes/HomeDepot bottle jack will work just fine if you have room for it. Get under the jack point and find out how high you need the minimum specific to your tire and lift combo
Quote:
Like previously mentioned, make sure the collapsed height of the jack will fit under your jack point, measure as if you have a flat (the truck will be a tad lower
Oh yeah, I already thought of that but thanks for the reminder...both of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Your jack will probably be stored under the rear seat, so I hope it is a tad above -20 inside there.

Nuthin works on me below about 0 degs F, so I don't see worrying about the jack.

It never fails, I would find myself with a flat and sitting in mud that made my vehicle sink further.

If you are going to go this far with it, consider a block of wood, maybe a piece of a 2x6, to place under the bottle jack so it does not sink into the mud. Most bottle jacks have a pretty small footprint.
That's assuming the bottle jack does fit under the seat???

Sound advice about a bigger footing for the jack and that additional height has to be taken into consideration as well. Also, something to block a tire with...

Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
That's assuming the bottle jack does fit under the seat???

Sound advice about a bigger footing for the jack and that additional height has to be taken into consideration as well. Also, something to block a tire with...
I think a basic bottle jack will fit uner the rear seat (crew cab, at least.)

It has been mentioned elsewhere but I still didn't check it out, that our trucks come standard with some metal stamped wheel chocks that are stored with the OEM jack tools. So, you should be good there - otherwise I would also have suggested two additional blocks of wood.
kilogulf59 likes this.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:05 PM

Garage
Yes there are 2 small wheel chocks stored with the bottle jack behind the backseat on passenger side. I would suggest keeping a few pieces of 4x4 or 4x6 to put under the jack, I do not think the jack will reach the frame on its own. I havent tried it, because I am lazy, but by looking at that little bottle jack and how high my stock height truck sits I dont see it happening. Good thing the truck, my auto insurance, and a couple of my credit cards all have free roadside assistance.
kilogulf59 likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave66rivi View Post
Yes there are 2 small wheel chocks stored with the bottle jack behind the backseat on passenger side. I would suggest keeping a few pieces of 4x4 or 4x6 to put under the jack, I do not think the jack will reach the frame on its own. I havent tried it, because I am lazy, but by looking at that little bottle jack and how high my stock height truck sits I dont see it happening. Good thing the truck, my auto insurance, and a couple of my credit cards all have free roadside assistance.
Most bottle jacks can unsrew the center of the piston to almost double their effective height.
kilogulf59 likes this.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 07:56 PM

If it is like the small mechanical bottle jack like the FS GM trucks have, they go from 7" to about 17.5" when extended.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Senior Administrator

Garage
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:49 AM

Side note, I haven't used my jack but I assume that the stock bottle jack will fit under and lift the truck sufficiently. That would be incredibly dumb and useless for any maker to include a jack that wouldn't go high enough to lift the vehicle stock...

For anyone that got a better, or different, bottle jack, anyone fit it in the stock spot behind the seat? That would be nice to have a better one fit in the same spot.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:50 PM

Be careful with cheap Bottle Jacks

I thought I'd chime in to let people know what I experienced.

I thought a hydraulic jack would be a better way to go than the include jack (which I had never tried until today). I bought this jack from Tractor Supply Co and it didn't work out. The jack does not lift high enough to even reach the frame of my truck. Part of this was ignorance on my part, I didn't really read how high it lifts, and I never even thought that would be a problem. But the quality of the jack does not seem good.

After some research, and comments from from this post, I am going to get one where the cylinder has a screw extension in the shaft for extra reach. I'm thinking of trying this one from Amazon.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkurick View Post
I thought I'd chime in to let people know what I experienced.

I thought a hydraulic jack would be a better way to go than the include jack (which I had never tried until today). I bought this jack from Tractor Supply Co and it didn't work out. The jack does not lift high enough to even reach the frame of my truck. Part of this was ignorance on my part, I didn't really read how high it lifts, and I never even thought that would be a problem. But the quality of the jack does not seem good.
I have a jack like that one. The top does screw out. On new ones, they're sometimes kinda tight or they're stuck on with some paint. Use a pair of pliers to unscrew the end.

.boB
2016 Colorado: long bed, Z71, Mini-Duramax
www.RacingTheExocet.com
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM

I used the included jack to teach tire changing to some boy scouts this past weekend. We changed the driver's side rear tier. The jack is your standard bottle jack that is fairly easy to use, but it has to be placed under the axle in the rear, between the transfer case and the shock absorber mount, so it requires crawling under the truck. I put the wheel chocks on the passenger side front tire, front and rear.
kilogulf59 likes this.

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode