Insurance Claim Help - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Insurance Claim Help

We had a bad hail storm come through in April. I have a 2001 Silverado. They estimated the damage to be $3700. It is now at the body shop and they said USAA missed a bunch of stuff on it. They sent in the new estimate to USAA. USAA sent me an email this afternoon saying they are totaling out my truck and want to pay me $10,500 for it. I called the guy who sent the email and he was gone for the day.

I want to keep the Silverado I need to town my gooseneck trailer, the Canyon can not do it.

Here are my questions.
Will the insurance company let me keep it and just pay me the difference? I found out I can get it fixed for $6600.

If I get it and it gets a salvage title can I still get full coverage insurance on it?

I am sure some people on here have had issues like this.

Ordered 4-23-15, built 5-21-15, sitting in my driveway 6-8-15. Canyon SLE, crew cab, long bed, 2wd, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa Dune.
Roll N Lock bed cover and cargo manager, custom made tool tray, OEM mud flaps, front windows tinted, running boards, 300 Watt Inverter with Sierra OEM plug, Warning Lights for fire dept, 6K HIDs lows and highs, LED fog light bulbs, 30" LED light bar, 2.5" front lift with 1" rear, Michelin AT/2 265/70/17, custom sports bar with 2 LED light bars, Rigid cargo lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 PM
CFI

If you do not have a bank lien on the truck, you can submit your own estimate to repair the truck. There would be no salvage title because the title did not change owners.

2016 Canyon Ext Cab SLE
Red Rock
3.6L
Tow package / Locking rear
Single zone /slider
Bed Rug
Lear XL cap
Lear Ultimate tail gate seal
Weather Teck liners and splash guards.
Production date 10/15

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 PM

Some insurance companies will allow you to buy a vehicle back after they total it. Guess it depends on many factors but,. can't hurt to ask them since the hail damage is strictly cosmetic I would have to imagine. It might be dinged up but would serve you when you needed to haul your gooseneck trailer.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 PM

@team helotes If they total it, you have the option to "buy it back". You give them a figure, say $1,000, and if they accept you keep the truck and use the insurance payoff (now $9,500) to pay for the repairs. The title is not affected, it remains in your name. You then pocket the $2,900 left. I had this happen on a boat (hurricane Ivan), I bought it back for $500 and sold it at auction for $8,500. Only time I ever came out ahead with insurance. You have to decide if you want to go this route.Yes, it's perfectly legal.
Toughsox likes this.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!

Last edited by Chief2016; 07-06-2016 at 09:50 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 PM

USAA can tell you what they expect to get at auction for your totaled vehicle. That is the amount that they will accept from you if you choose to keep the vehicle. They usually total a vehicle if the damage exceeds about 75% of the vehicle's undamaged value. The number varies based on the actual damage. My daughter head on a van and rolled a Honda Fit. Every piece of sheet metal was damaged but you could still start and move it. USAA estimated the auction value at $850. So we reduced the settlement with USAA and kept the vehicle. 16 years ago we did the same with State Farm on a split in half Hyundai. That one we paid $200 for.

No title ever changed hands on either vehicle. If you choose to keep it, It is your vehicle and still remains under the same title. BUT--- there will be a accident record chalked up against it.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is another question. What happens to add ons? I have a $800 tool box $1000 front replacement bumper and a $600 rear replacement bumper.

Ordered 4-23-15, built 5-21-15, sitting in my driveway 6-8-15. Canyon SLE, crew cab, long bed, 2wd, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa Dune.
Roll N Lock bed cover and cargo manager, custom made tool tray, OEM mud flaps, front windows tinted, running boards, 300 Watt Inverter with Sierra OEM plug, Warning Lights for fire dept, 6K HIDs lows and highs, LED fog light bulbs, 30" LED light bar, 2.5" front lift with 1" rear, Michelin AT/2 265/70/17, custom sports bar with 2 LED light bars, Rigid cargo lights.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by team helotes View Post
Here is another question. What happens to add ons? I have a $800 tool box $1000 front replacement bumper and a $600 rear replacement bumper.
Tool box, yours to keep if it's easily removed.. The bumpers, however, are a part of the truck unless you have the originals to put on in place of them.

'16 Z71 EC

GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:10 AM

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFI View Post
If you do not have a bank lien on the truck, you can submit your own estimate to repair the truck. There would be no salvage title because the title did not change owners.
Why are people saying the title will not be affected? I have never heard of your title not being salvaged because you didn't change owners or get a new title. When my car got in a fender bender every thing about it was new except the car. New plates, Registration, Insurance switched over, and a freshly minted title with SALVAGED on it. Theres no way around that.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic92 View Post
Why are people saying the title will not be affected? I have never heard of your title not being salvaged because you didn't change owners or get a new title. When my car got in a fender bender every thing about it was new except the car. New plates, Registration, Insurance switched over, and a freshly minted title with SALVAGED on it. Theres no way around that.
Maybe not for you. I stated fact (post #4), and I know 2 others personally that have had a vehicle totaled (that they elected to keep) and never lost original title. I would have to say your experience is not typical.

'16 Z71 EC

GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!

Last edited by Chief2016; 07-11-2016 at 12:20 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:53 AM

A salvage title is middle step in the process.

If the vehicle is insurance company owned, then most states require the issue of a salvage title. This even goes for theft recovered vehicles with no damage. Then whomever repairs it, submits it for inspection and applies for a "repaired vehicle title" that makes is road worthy again. The salvage title simply says that it was insurance company owned.

If it was as you stat, then anytime a claim was made on a vehicle a new title was required, a whole lot of unhappy people would be running around with "repaired titles" unnecessarily.

If the ownership of the vehicle has not changed hands as a result of a (accident or comp) claim, then the title stays the way it already was.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is how everything turned out

They paid me for my truck. I was able to buy it back and I did. They mailed me a check for the difference. I am going to have the truck fixed. Texas does not require a Salvage Title for hail damage totals. USAA will keep it with full coverage. The only problem is that if I have another claim with USAA they will take 20%-30% off of the value of the truck since they have already paid out a total on it once.
Toughsox and Chief2016 like this.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM
CFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic92 View Post
What state do you live in? My guess is California.

2016 Canyon Ext Cab SLE
Red Rock
3.6L
Single zone /slider
Bed Rug
Lear XL cap
Production date 10/15

Last edited by CFI; 07-11-2016 at 01:18 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:36 PM
CFI

Quote:
Before you added all that stuff, did you call your insurance agent and talk to him about it? Maybe you should.

2016 Canyon Ext Cab SLE
Red Rock
3.6L
Single zone /slider
Bed Rug
Lear XL cap
Production date 10/15

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
A salvage title is middle step in the process.

If the vehicle is insurance company owned, then most states require the issue of a salvage title. This even goes for theft recovered vehicles with no damage. Then whomever repairs it, submits it for inspection and applies for a "repaired vehicle title" that makes is road worthy again. The salvage title simply says that it was insurance company owned.

If it was as you stat, then anytime a claim was made on a vehicle a new title was required, a whole lot of unhappy people would be running around with "repaired titles" unnecessarily.

If the ownership of the vehicle has not changed hands as a result of a (accident or comp) claim, then the title stays the way it already was.
In order for it to be "Insurance Co. Owned", you would have to transfer title to the insurance company.
A salvage title is not a middle step. It is required by law in certain states under a given set of circumstances to prevent fraud on consumers. A vehicle is considered totaled when the cost to repair exceeds the value of the vehicle. This does not necessarily require a salvage title unless it meets the criteria set by the state such as submerged or severe structural damage to the vehicle that makes it unsafe. These vehicles can be salvaged (repaired) and resold, but must carry a salvaged title.

'16 Z71 EC

GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!

Last edited by Chief2016; 07-11-2016 at 05:07 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Here is how everything turned out

They paid me for my truck. I was able to buy it back and I did. They mailed me a check for the difference. I am going to have the truck fixed. Texas does not require a Salvage Title for hail damage totals. USAA will keep it with full coverage. The only problem is that if I have another claim with USAA they will take 20%-30% off of the value of the truck since they have already paid out a total on it once.

go to AAA, or any other. taking a 20-30% loss is unnaceptable
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayan Rosales View Post
go to AAA, or any other. taking a 20-30% loss is unnaceptable
Not on a vehicle they wanted scrapped and he chose to buy back.
team helotes likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 12:53 AM

Actually I used the wrong word. In most states in order to be licensed, a vehicle that has been "branded" with a salvage title may not be licensed. That salvage title is an interim step in restoring the vehicle. The vehicle must be returned to a "rebuilt" title status, not "repaired" as I previously stated.

The process in not difficult. I have done a couple of them. You simply take pictures of the damage before repair and after the repairs. You include receipts for parts used in the repair and submit it for a state inspection. The process varies slightly by state. As an example to apply for a "rebuilt" title here you must prove residence. In my two adjoining states, residency in not a requirement if the vehicle currently has a salvage title in that state. In New York residency was not required at all.

I have done several of these. In one case I bought a salvage title Colorado in New York state and took it in for an inspection there. It only had bed and rear bumper damage. Pick up trucks at the time were not required to have a rear bumpers so we removed it, and simple bed damage did not make it unsafe. New York approved the change to "rebuilt" title as is. I then was able to drive it on temp transport plates out of the state. On the way home, I stopped at a pre-arranged junk yard in Ohio and bought a used bed (already painted the correct color), trailer hitch, and bumper. We installed them at the junk yard and left the old damaged stuff there. It took about an hour.

Upon arrival in my home state I took the rebuilt New York title in and got an Indiana "rebuilt" title and plates with no inspection required. My daughter is still driving that "rebuilt" Colorado many years later. We never understood why State Farm totaled this vehicle in the first place, but in the end it was a good deal for us.

I had another Honda Fit that we bought salvaged with a slightly bent (about 2 degrees) rear axle and rear bumper cover damage. It took about 2 hours to replace the axle and another couple of hours to replace and paint the rear bumper cover. It had a salvage title out of Ohio and we got a "rebuilt" title for it from Indiana after inspection.

I have a friend that is driving a "salvage" title changed to "rebuilt" title Ford Explorer. It was salvaged due to theft recovery after the the insurance company had paid the owner for the loss. That made it Insurance company owned salvage even though it had only minor interior damage.

Some states also have a branded category for flooded vehicles. What people do is buy flooded vehicles and re-title them with a clear title in other states that do not have a flooded category. Then that vehicle can be titled again in almost any other state, other than the one where it was flooded, with a clear title.

You have to watch what you are doing with branded "salvage" and "rebuilt" titled vehicles. The can be a good deal if you know what you are doing. They can be a bad deal if they are not repaired and inspected correctly.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT

Last edited by n9cv; 07-12-2016 at 12:56 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonCriminal View Post
Not on a vehicle they wanted scrapped and he chose to buy back.
well salvage is salvage, they would had sold it for that amount anyway. the only difference is who it sold to.

It seems to me, anyway, that they paid out on a (company loss) and next time this customer is only going to get a fraction of the full service.

That's not how insurance is suppose to work, that why we have insurance, to make us whole again to the best of its capabilities (depending on coverage).
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayan Rosales View Post
well salvage is salvage, they would had sold it for that amount anyway. the only difference is who it sold to.

It seems to me, anyway, that they paid out on a (company loss) and next time this customer is only going to get a fraction of the full service.

That's not how insurance is suppose to work, that why we have insurance, to make us whole again to the best of its capabilities (depending on coverage).
If insurance paid out what the value of the vehicle was worth prior to the accident, they are in NO way required to value a salvage vehicle repaired anywhere near that.
You actually think we have insurance to make us whole again. HAHAHAHA maybe you should research Accelerated devaluation. Insurance Companies are in it to make money and nothing more, they will low ball you everyway from sunday.
Chief2016 likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonCriminal View Post
If insurance paid out what the value of the vehicle was worth prior to the accident, they are in NO way required to value a salvage vehicle repaired anywhere near that.
You actually think we have insurance to make us whole again. HAHAHAHA maybe you should research Accelerated devaluation. Insurance Companies are in it to make money and nothing more, they will low ball you everyway from sunday.
IF you insure a salvage vehicle, I agree. you will not get 100% of it's actual value, however the way I read it, I understood it as if he gets another vehicle and stays with the same company-that they will only pay out 70% of that vehicle were it to be a total loss, on a different claim.

And I know about devaluation. but it depends, I paid 28,4XX (before taxes and reg.- 32,5xx after)for my 2016 Colorado, about 2 weeks later It got totaled and after a month of investigation my Insurance paid me 37,8XX

so there's that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode