2016 - 6 cylinder Gas Mileage Dropped? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

2016 - 6 cylinder Gas Mileage Dropped?

Hello guys,

I have a 2016 Colorado I purchased in March. It has 8850 miles and runs great.

However, the gas mileage seems to have dropped from an average of 25.5 mpg to 21 mpg.

Nothing has been done to it. I'm getting fuel at the same station and my driving route has not changed.

The only thing I can notice is this when I press the accelerator lightly when starting after a turn or a stop. When I press very lightly to start moving slowly it seems to "sputter" or miss. Like the transmission is trying to find the right gear.

I'm planing on adding a can of seafoam at the next fillup.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 AM

Garage
Where are you located? Have they switched from summer gas to winter gas? That will make a difference. Also, there was a post the other day about the sputter. Here a link to the post about the shudder: PIP
bsn64 likes this.

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

I live in Chattanooga Tennessee. It's still very hot here so I don't think they've made the gas change yet.

Thanks for the link to the other thread.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzit View Post
I live in Chattanooga Tennessee.
Hey, I'm from Chattanooga! (but I live in Arlington, VA now). Chatta-boogie is such a great town. I miss it.

2016 Cyber Gray Z-71 v6/4wd/cc/sb (bose, spray-in bedliner, chrome tip)
Mods: plasti-dipped bowties, BAK Revolver X2 tonneau cover, Husky mud flaps and floor mats, Rexing V1 dashcam, NFab 6-step nerf bars
--
What's the difference between a dirty bus stop and a lobster with breast implants? One is a crusty bus station, the other is a busty crustacean.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Yes Chattanooga is a great city.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I have an appointment for next Wednesday, August 31 2016, for them to check the calibration version from post - New PIP for low speed chuggle or shudder

I'll update this after the appointment.

Thanks for all the help guys.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 08:23 AM

Check your gauge. It tells you in the bottom left corner (I think) what the average over the last 25, 50, 500...etc. miles it is showing you. Mine did the same...I was at 25.5 over the last 50 miles, but went to 21.0 over the last 500. The mileage over which the fuel economy is calculated periodically changes I believe.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:21 AM

It would help to have a more accurate measure of fuel economy. Yes the computer is a good device but It is probably not all that accurate. I use an android app called "aCar" I have been recording fuel fill ups in all my vehicles since 2008. It much more accurate because its taking measure of fuel going in and how much a fill up takes.
ShyShy Wilson likes this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Like jax said, the dic really isn't that accurate measuring fuel economy. Tracking manually or with an app is a lot more accurate. I log every fill up in a an app, so it's the avg over the whole tank but comparing it to the trip or 450 mile avg on the dic, it's usually 2-3mpg off.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 03:33 PM

Garage
OK, in the last couple of months it has been dry, hot and dusty here in MD. I also experienced a loss in mileage with sputtering upon acceleration and what appeared to be much soot around the tailpipe. I found the problem to be a clogged air filter. Once I dropped it in the pep was back as well as mileage. I had just recently had the dealer perform the PIPs and new steering Cals for my 15' 3.6l and it didn't solve any issues. (the air filter solved most of them, it's often overlooked since it has a long change interval). YMMV
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 01:37 PM

So yesterday, I drove from Chattanooga back to Arlington, VA. 592 miles, almost entirely interstate. We did sit in some long stretches of terrible traffic on I-81 that probably hurt the mileage slightly. I averaged 24.1 over that trip. Not too shabby if you ask me!

That being said, my mileage also seems to change pretty dramatically over time due to weather and stuff. Keep an eye on it for the longer term and hopefully you'll see it level out.

Mods: plasti-dipped bowties, BAK Revolver X2 tonneau cover, Husky mud flaps and floor mats, Rexing V1 dashcam, NFab 6-step nerf bars
--
What's the difference between a dirty bus stop and a lobster with breast implants? One is a crusty bus station, the other is a busty crustacean.

Last edited by videobored; 09-06-2016 at 02:01 PM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 01:23 PM

Garage
How are you guys getting 24, 25 mpg??? I've been consistently averaging 21 (which I've been relatively ok with) and I drive mostly highways.......

2016 Colorado LT, Crew Cab
LT Convenience Package
Chevy (factory) Drop-in Bedliner
Black - Westin Pro Traxx 4" Oval Nerf Bars
TonnoPro Tri-fold Tonneau
AVS In-Channel Window Visors
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefymc View Post
How are you guys getting 24, 25 mpg??? I've been consistently averaging 21 (which I've been relatively ok with) and I drive mostly highways.......
Are you 2 or 4 WD?

If you drive over 70 MPH on highway, with 2WD, 24 MPG is probably about right for pure highway.

I have broken 34 MPG for 25 miles by keeping it around 55 MPH on a nice stretch of highway with V6 & 2WD. I have struggled to get 22 MPG for 25 miles at 75 - 80 MPH on flat highway. And of course, everything in between.

I can get almost 30 MPG on my commute of about 14 miles to work, driving home I can take that 30 MPG and see it average back down to 20-21 MPG because the traffic flow is so different, with a lot more traffic lights. Construction in Fort Worth is ridiculous.
bsn64 and ShyShy Wilson like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Are you 2 or 4 WD?

If you drive over 70 MPH on highway, with 2WD, 24 MPG is probably about right for pure highway.

I have broken 34 MPG for 25 miles by keeping it around 55 MPH on a nice stretch of highway with V6 & 2WD. I have struggled to get 22 MPG for 25 miles at 75 - 80 MPH on flat highway. And of course, everything in between.

I can get almost 30 MPG on my commute of about 14 miles to work, driving home I can take that 30 MPG and see it average back down to 20-21 MPG because the traffic flow is so different, with a lot more traffic lights. Construction in Fort Worth is ridiculous.
I have a 4wd. My commute is 30 miles, about 20 straight highway where I'm generally doing 80 (75 will get you nasty looks). I guess a little less on the pedal might improve a little but it seems like some of you guys are overachievers. :)
CaryBosse likes this.

2016 Colorado LT, Crew Cab
LT Convenience Package
Chevy (factory) Drop-in Bedliner
Black - Westin Pro Traxx 4" Oval Nerf Bars
TonnoPro Tri-fold Tonneau
AVS In-Channel Window Visors
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefymc View Post
21 - 22 is about the best I ever get. I put a fair amount of effort in to getting the best mileage too.
beefymc likes this.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:37 AM

Yeah, that 24.1 average is not really normal for me. 21-22 is more normal for any given longish road trip. I seem to always get better mileage headed back to Arlington from Chatty than I do on the way down. Perhaps due to the overall elevation change or prevailing winds... who knows?
beefymc likes this.

--
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to flashesbuck
Its the active shutters.... I had no idea mine were not working. Took it in for the first oil change last weekend and they preformed a recall on them. and all this week, all of my driving has jumped 2-3MPG.
videobored likes this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashesbuck View Post
Its the active shutters.... I had no idea mine were not working. Took it in for the first oil change last weekend and they preformed a recall on them. and all this week, all of my driving has jumped 2-3MPG.
Wow, I wasn't aware of a recall that affected those things.. It is kind of hard to determine if they are working correctly at 80mph on the interstate.
HotHead likes this.

--
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobored View Post
Wow, I wasn't aware of a recall that affected those things.. It is kind of hard to determine if they are working correctly at 80mph on the interstate.
Just have your wife crawl out on the hood and check on them.

Guess you could mount a GOPRO camera somewhere and watch them operate. OK, who is going to do that for us so we can actually see them in operation?
videobored likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobored View Post
Just had mine done this week and noticed a nice jump in MPH. It's not really a recall, not a safety issue. Whenever you go in for a service they should check your VIN the computer and it will pop up, most of the time they will have to order the part and you will have to go back in for about an hour to have the fix completed. It is a replacement and recalibration of whatever module they have to replace. When you make the appointment, you might ask them about it so they can order the part and save yourself a second trip in.
videobored likes this.

2016 Cardinal Red 4x4 All-Terrain Crew Cab Short Bed

Trifecta Tune
Heated Mirrors
GMC Sill Plates
GMC All-Weather Floor Liners
Front Windows Tinted
Sports Bar with GM Off Road Lights
LED Backup Lights
LED Cargo Lights
Red LED Map Lights
LED Dome Light
LED Vanity Lights
LED License Plate Lights
Cargo Rings
Weathertech Mud Flaps
TonnoPro LoRoll
Lund Bed Extender
Pop-N-Lock
The Stubby Antenna

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode