2007 Colorado strange airbag light behavior? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

2007 Colorado strange airbag light behavior?

For as long as I've owned this truck (bought used, but put over 100,000 miles on it) it's exhibited the behavior that if I get out, with the engine still running, the airbag light turns on. As soon as I sit back down the light turns off. It never turns on if I'm sitting in the driver seat or exhibits any other behavior that I might consider "unusual".

Tonight I took it to the dealer for my annual safety inspection and immediately the crotchety old inspector came out and started arguing with me that these vehicles don't have a pressure sensor in the seats, and that he was failing it. I demonstrated that the light turns off as soon as I sit down and he stormed off in a huff. At least they didn't charge me for the inspection.

I recorded a short video on YouTube, sorry if it's kind of dark. There's also a "part 2" I could upload, where I test it by making the light turn off just by pressing down on the center of the seat. The only other thing I could think of is maybe some kind of a loose ground or damaged connector, where it only makes contact when there's weight on the seat? What do you guys think?

Last edited by 442_mike; 11-02-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:28 AM

Well, the inspector was correct when he told you that the driver's seat does not have a pressure sensor. However, there is a Seat Position Switch located there and that could be the problem. Maybe you could get the truck scanned when the light is on and see what code is showing. Try moving the seat and see if that has any effect. Do you have power or manual seats? PM sent.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, and the email! I've ordered a scan tool that can read SRS codes (since my current one can't), it should be here by Monday. Hopefully it will tell me the code is for the driver's side seat position sensor - I can't imagine what else it could be.

For anyone else who comes across this thread in the future, vehicle has manual seats, all stock, no modifications. I tested it probably 20 times last night that the light operates exactly as I described in my video - airbag circuit deactivates when no one is sitting in the chair (light comes on), but works normally when someone is sitting in the chair (light goes off). If I get out and push down with even moderate pressure on the center of the seat, the light will turn off. Moving the seat forward & back doesn't seem to have any affect, although with my height (I'm 6'3, 190 lbs.) it's uncomfortable for me to try to sit with it anywhere other than slid all the way back.

Frankly I don't see what the problem is with the airbag circuit deactivating when no one is sitting in the seat (and it's never failed an inspection in all the years I've owned the vehicle), but still worth looking into. Here's some info cart7881 kindly provided:

Quote:
The seat track includes a metal bracket that shunts the SPS magnetic circuit creating 2 states of seat position. The shunted state represents a rearward seat position. The non-shunted state represents a forward position. The SPS provides 2 current ranges, one range for the shunted state and a second range for a non-shunted state. These 2 states are inputs to the SDM. State 1 (shunted) being the rearward threshold and state 2 (non-shunted) being the forward threshold. When the SDM receives input from a SPS that state 1 threshold is reached (seat is rearward) the SDM will not disable stage 2 deployment, if required by the deployment sensors. When state 2 threshold is reached (seat is forward) the SDM will disable stage 2 deployment on the side the seat is forward. The SDM monitors the SPS circuit and if a fault is detected the SDM will set codes B0083 or B0084 and defaults to disabling stage 2 frontal deployment.
Fingers crossed that this is my problem!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:46 PM

I think there is a connector for the position sensor located near the center of the seat, below the cushion. Maybe that would be a good starting point for troubleshooting. it will be interesting to see what fault shows up and if the fault code goes away when the light goes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode