Brake Controllers.. Does more $$ mean better? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cesharp3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake Controllers.. Does more $$ mean better?

Hi Everyone

I'm about to grab an enclosed cargo trailer for my new '16 Colorado. I was originally planning for a sub 3,000 lb GVWR single axle brakeless (it's all I really need). But stumbled upon a steal of a deal that I simply cannot NOT buy. A 14' tandem 7,000lb gvwr electric braked.

It's obviously heavier empty than what I was planning, but that's ok. It's going to be used as "mobile" shed and occasional "help a friend move" type of thing. I'm not going to be hauling it around more than 6 or so times a year.

Anyhow, brake controllers. 10+ years ago I had an old RAM with a controller in it, just a cheap thing. Worked ok the few times I used it on a large camper trailer. Although, when the trailer was empty if I wasn't paying attention it would lock up the trailer wheels at a stop... funny how many people jump when you squeal to a stop at the light. :)

Doing some reading now, and I think I'd like to go for a proportional controller (in case I ever do have it loaded to near capacity). Why is there such a discrepancy in price? It seems they range from ~$90 (CDN) to well over $300. Why would one buy a $300 unit? The ~$100 ones I'm looking at have good warranty, safety features of the others, and can handle up to 3 and 4 axles (they say). What (if anything) makes them better?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 PM

I can't speak to what makes one better than another, but I personally use a Tekonsha P3. It has been phenomenal for me and at $124 it didn't break the budget. I've used it to haul several different trailers, both hydraulic and electric breaks, and 1, 2, and 3 axels; so it can handle it all and I've actually tested that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CaryBosse likes this.

2015 Silver Colorado Z71
-Blacked out bowties -Air-dam delete
-Front light bar in grill -Red Tow Hooks
-1.25" front level -265/70/17 BFG KO2s
-Husky Mudflaps -Bedrug
-VHF Antenna Install -USB/12v bed plugs
-LED Interior -LED reverse, cargo
-Tekonsha P3 TBC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM

I tow a 5,000 lbs travel trailer and this Tekonsha purchased at Costco as been more than adequate.
Check it out.

Tekonsha Primus®IQ Brake Control
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
I tow a 5,000 lbs travel trailer and this Tekonsha purchased at Costco as been more than adequate.
Check it out.

Tekonsha Primus®IQ Brake Control
That's one of the ~$100 ones I'm looking at, from Amazon tho. Seems like it's got all the features I need.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
That's one of the ~$100 ones I'm looking at, from Amazon tho. Seems like it's got all the features I need.
I installed mine in the center console. There are pictures / instructions here on this site if you search my posts. If you need install tips let me know. Very easy to do.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
I installed mine in the center console. There are pictures / instructions here on this site if you search my posts. If you need install tips let me know. Very easy to do.
Yea, found all the threads about installation and where the wires are. Not sure where I'm gonna hang it yet. I'll have to see it held in place before I decide.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Garage
I would go with any modern non-timer type brake controller. Spend the $100-150 now and if you ever get a new truck you can move the controller over also. Newer non-budget ones have a sensor that can tell if the trailer is pushing the truck and will apply more breaking on the trailer brakes. This is great for hard stops vs a timer one as you can get the maximum amount of braking when you need it. A timer one will gradually increase the trailer brake force over a set time. I went with a Hopkins 47297 because I did not make the controller on the kick panel. I mounted the controls and the display right over the card slot hole in my 2015 and ran the wires through the hole after some widening of it. As for its performance I can't say as I don't tow much but its there if I ever hook up to the family camper or car trailer.

2015 Colorado Z71 CC LB 4x4 Black
Nav, Bose, Tow

Is your truck lifted, have aftermarket wheels or tires?
Please fill out this survey to help build a database of what fits our trucks.

To view the results click here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode