Off topic? Discussion: Ford announces 2018 diesel f150 - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Frankly just from being a member of this forum has me kind of scared to buy a diesel. I know everybody says they love theirs, but seems like every other thread is about this sensor or that sensor going bad, or truck throwing codes.
Really? I've hardly seen any complaints about the diesel and none at all for something major.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexaddict6 View Post
While I'm not doubting the Canyon/Colorado's safety, a blanket statement like that leaves out a lot of other factors that could and do come into play during an accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot_in_a_mask View Post
No doubt the Colorado safety is a lot higher my aunt has a canyon v6 all terrain and she took a head on at 35 and walked away. Other car flipped over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I T-boned a guy head on (applydirectlytotheforhead)going 55 because he ran a stop sign. I walked away Totaled my V6 Colorado- Hence why I now own a Duramax

The frame took the damage, thats why it looks "ok for that speed" in the picture

Last edited by Brayan Rosales; 01-09-2017 at 09:33 PM.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Sounds like a solid powertrain.

I consider the aluminum block a plus. And the 10 speed is a plus plus plus plus.

The 6 speed we get right now is a bit pathetic for 2017 actually.

don't for get the 8 speed and I'm sure it's imminent for the diesel

2016 Z71 DURAMAX
6" RC
33x11.5 Grabber
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexaddict6 View Post
While I'm not doubting the Canyon/Colorado's safety, a blanket statement like that leaves out a lot of other factors that could and do come into play during an accident.

Valid. Nonetheless I do trust my life with this truck if I couldn't I wouldn't have bought it.

2016 Z71 DURAMAX
6" RC
33x11.5 Grabber
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot_in_a_mask View Post
Valid. Nonetheless I do trust my life with this truck if I couldn't I wouldn't have bought it.

I mean that but I'm not the person that just buys something because it looks like a good idea. Coming from a 2015 half ton and a 1994 blazer with a 6.5 I tend to like the bulkier vehicles.

2016 Z71 DURAMAX
6" RC
33x11.5 Grabber
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

ALSO THIS JUST IN
Ford is returning in 2019 ranger. Possibly with the 3.2 powerstroke I-5 on board. And bronco is back (I know not our forum but still exciting) could this mean a k2xx blazer???? Thoughts????

2016 Z71 DURAMAX
6" RC
33x11.5 Grabber
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 PM
KMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayan Rosales View Post
I T-boned a guy head on (applydirectlytotheforhead)going 55 because he ran a stop sign. I walked away Totaled my V6 Colorado- Hence why I now own a Duramax

The frame took the damage, thats why it looks "ok for that speed" in the picture

Wow! How did the other guy fare?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
Wow! How did the other guy fare?

He lived, he's getting sued as we speak.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 PM
KMW

That had to have rung his bell! Hope he learned something!

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Really? I've hardly seen any complaints about the diesel and none at all for something major.
I did not say something major....all the constant throwing up codes because of sensors failing or needing reset. That would get on my nerves. This forum is littered with threads for these things. Maybe that is normal for Diesels, I admit I know very little about them

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I did not say something major....all the constant throwing up codes because of sensors failing or needing reset. That would get on my nerves. This forum is littered with threads for these things. Maybe that is normal for Diesels, I admit I know very little about them

I think you might be seeing the threads from those who are installing aftermarket tunes or performance exhausts? I certainly didn't see any that were concerning when I was researching whether or not I should jump over from my gas twin, and I'm 2600 miles in with no codes. Just a def fill up at 1500 which I let the dealer know of my displeasure ha. I would certainly find throwing codes a serious annoyance as well but definitely not the case!
BeastStarr68 likes this.
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Ok fair enough that you didn't say anything about major problems. I just don't recall seeing very many minor complaints either. A few yes. Certainly no more than a gas engine. Of course sensor problems are common on everything now. I'm at the 20,000 km mark. Not a single issue with my truck.
Vinolush likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
A lot of things to learn and consider. Iron block or aluminum? Timing chain or belt? Easy maintenance like our Duramax? Will the 10 speed allow us to lug the engine nice and low in each gear? What will the high gear ratios be? Will it gear hunt a lot while towing? What will the mpg ratings be? And of course, how much $$$? As this will be the only vehicle on the market that has any chance of pulling me away from my Canyon, I will be watching this very closely. I wish it was an inline engine instead of a V. One more thing. Unlike Ram, I hope they offer it in the Regular Cab Shortbox or it ain't gonna happen for me.
The ratios were announced a while back. It's got a very tall 10th gear and the 9th gear is equal to the current 6 speeds 6th gear.
404 Not Found likes this.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - GDE Hot Tune, GDE Trans Tune, 3" Lift, ARB Bull Bar, 31" Wrangler Duratracs

2014 F150 Lariat EcoBoost Screw - Unleashed Tune, Catch Can, 33" Duratracs
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:31 AM

Having owned a number of Ford diesels in F550's, and becoming so disgusted with their incessant high pressure pump failures and turboo failures and injector replacements, started buying the F550 V10 gasser, because while the chassis is perfect for my needs, the Ford diesels just plain suck.........and I have no reason to believe Ford learned how to design a good one in the recent past.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:37 PM

The X-factor with the ford diesel will be it's availability to the working man. GM offers the 2.8 with only trim levels yuppies are concerned about. Can a full sized be available for the same price (or less) than our 2.8s? I suck at quotes, but being a former WRX owner, the factory turbo components go out the window with aftermarket tunes. The plastic intercooler and BPV had to go after a stage 1 tune at best, so be prepared to upgrade components if you are tuning your diesel. I hope these midsize trucks survive the competition, but from what I'm seeing as a consumer, GM is shooting themselves in the foot.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
If you don't understand something it is easy to be afraid of it. You have to remember for every truck that has an emission code thrown, there are hundreds that are trouble free, you usually only hear of problems on forums. If you look at how many diesel 2.8l are sold (12k in USA alone), we have maybe 100 of those trucks posted here. I will grant you that with the ever so strict EPA laws, the diesel is prone to set a code even at the slightest hiccup in emission readings from sensors, but for a first year run with DEF/DPF, the 2.8L has been the best "out of the gate" diesel thus far.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Garage
I bet the diesel option will be more popular than the gaspot ECO boost trucks offered. I am really pleased the f150 and Ranger will have diesel offerings. Just wish the F150 would be an inline diesel rather than the more complex and moving parts of a V6 configuration. None the less, the diesel is always first choice option around here where every driveway has at least one pick up truck. Great to see all these diesel options coming for pick up truck buyers. Can't wait to drive all of them.
404 Not Found likes this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16_MidnightRider View Post
GM and Ford have been working on 10 speed transmission for a while. I bet Ford is just closer to using it.

With my EcoBoost experience from Ford Motor Corps.... I will not own anything with a blue oval until they make some drastic changes internally. I dropped 26K cash down on a 46K truck that they didn't even want to supply a loaner after it was in the shop for turbo replacement after 10 days.

I'll stick to my MiniMax.
GM is already using the 10spd in the ZL1.

Vicarious, I've never heard "Z71" or LT as being the yuppie trim level haha. If you mean basic bitch cloth seats with a 4cyl diesel why wouldn't you just get a 1500 at that point? They are about the same price and the 1500 will easily out perform the colorado if you're using it for work. Granted I've never seen anyone need a 4cyl diesel for work. All the hotshot guys here use 3500's. Just saying.

Last edited by DuramaxTrailboss; 01-21-2017 at 11:45 PM.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxTrailboss View Post
GM is already using the 10spd in the ZL1.

Vicarious, I've never heard "Z71" or LT as being the yuppie trim level haha. If you mean basic bitch cloth seats with a 4cyl diesel why wouldn't you just get a 1500 at that point? They are about the same price and the 1500 will easily out perform the colorado if you're using it for work. Granted I've never seen anyone need a 4cyl diesel for work. All the hotshot guys here use 3500's. Just saying.
I guess I should say... in a truck, haha. I actually enjoy my Colorado more than my 14' Silverado Sport Custom. The Colorado actually feels better towing my side x side. Not heavy at ~ 2500lb with trailer, but it is much more maneuverable.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoxchaser View Post
Having owned a number of Ford diesels in F550's, and becoming so disgusted with their incessant high pressure pump failures and turboo failures and injector replacements, started buying the F550 V10 gasser, because while the chassis is perfect for my needs, the Ford diesels just plain suck.........and I have no reason to believe Ford learned how to design a good one in the recent past.
I feel compelled to point out that your sentiment is shared by many, because the navistar (aka international) engines definitely had some issues. Ford has, however, only recently started building their own diesels with the introduction of the 6.7. They have had some issues just like the new Duramax but overall are viewed as a success and as a major improvement.

Personally I respect that GM offers a diesel in this segment, but view the specific motor offered as a compromise. It is good enough, much like the Ram ecodiesel. This Ford engine shows promise as a more modern design, and even though it isn't an inline motor, it could very much push the other manufacturers. Competition is good for all of us. If only we could get the EPA to more logically regulate diesels. Once the manufacturers get ahead of that side of things we all win
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode